• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

'I want a job': Man begs for work in Southampton city centre

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16133104.__39_I_want_a_job__39___Man_begs_for_work_in_Southampton_city_centre/

A MAN has taken to Southampton city centre's streets wearing a sandwich board in a desperate bid to find work.

Former navy steward, ***********, who has unsuccessfully applied for 40 jobs, has resorted to wearing a Depression era-style sandwich board in Southampton.

Michael, 64, has no interest in retiring and wants to keep on working.

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

“Some people may be embarrassed but I’m not.

"It's what people did in the 1930s.”

Edited by 201p
removal of his name

9 minutes ago, 201p said:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16133104.__39_I_want_a_job__39___Man_begs_for_work_in_Southampton_city_centre/

A MAN has taken to Southampton city centre's streets wearing a sandwich board in a desperate bid to find work.

Former navy steward, Michael Marx, who has unsuccessfully applied for 40 jobs, has resorted to wearing a Depression era-style sandwich board in Southampton.

Michael, 64, has no interest in retiring and wants to keep on working.

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

“Some people may be embarrassed but I’m not.

"It's what people did in the 1930s.”

With a bit more imagination he could sell his space

3184216595.jpg

Edited by Hopeful

Ill go out on a limb- he's illiterate.

Looks like an OTT ploy to keep the DHSS off his back.

40 applications since Nov s 10/m, 4 a week.

He should be down the job centre using the omputers.

Sotons a funny place.

There used to be loads of well paying, low skilled jobs. Not anymore.

And the place is one of the UKs big Polish settlements.

I find this a strnge statement:

'Mr Marx, who said he was prevented from starting a family because he “could never have afforded children", says society does not do enough to help people in his situation. '

He was working back in November, building job, which isn't easy, especially at his age. So tend to think genuinely looking for work.  Re children, then yes many folk won't entertain the idea unless they feel they are financially secure enough to take on the responsibility themselves.  His age will definitely be working against him in terms of employment opportunities.

Edited by onlyme

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ill go out on a limb- he's illiterate.

Looks like an OTT ploy to keep the DHSS off his back.

40 applications since Nov s 10/m, 4 a week.

He should be down the job centre using the omputers.

Sotons a funny place.

There used to be loads of well paying, low skilled jobs. Not anymore.

And the place is one of the UKs big Polish settlements.

I find this a strnge statement:

'Mr Marx, who said he was prevented from starting a family because he “could never have afforded children", says society does not do enough to help people in his situation. '

It's not easy,

But there are alternatives to being an employee

I know loads of successful illiterate people

ironically, he might have stood a fairer chance if society didn't do so much to help people in his situation.

Just now, onlyme said:

He was working back in November, building job, which isn't easy, especially at his age. So tend to think genuinely looking for work.  Re children, then yes many folk won't entertain the idea unless they feel they are financially secure enough tot take on the responsibility themselves.  His age will definitely be working against him in terms of employment opportunities.

So he is skilled

I guess "I want a job" doesn't necessarily mean I want to be an employee, but if that is what he means

Why does he need someone to employ him ?

The ageing population is needing people who can do small jobs

Perhaps he could put on his sandwich board

'retired builder looking for small scale jobs"

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

So he is skilled

I guess "I want a job" doesn't necessarily mean I want to be an employee, but if that is what he means

Workign at a builder does not mean builder.

He could have just been keepign the yard tidy.

He should have used the attention to list his skills.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

he expects things to fall into his lap

It's a stunt to get 'given a job', (obviously)

Even if he was a yard tidier, I expect that there are plenty of people who would like their yard tidied.

"retired yard tidier"

so yes, he should have listed what he wanted to, or could, do

or just gone knocking on doors

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

So he is skilled

Thought that, but there are logistic issues (transport, storage, could genuinely be in a catch 22 there) and may not suit everybody as some people really do work better under guidance than alone.

8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Thought that, but there are logistic issues (transport, storage, could genuinely be in a catch 22 there) and may not suit everybody as some people really do work better under guidance than alone.

yes, there is insufficient detail in the story

'Odd job Building' would require a car, and a few tools, trowel, bolster, club hammer etc, but the number of peopls that just want their rotting garden fence posts replaced, there's £100 a morning, cash too

Starting out is tough though, he might have to carry his basic tools in a bag on public transport for a while.

I'm just intrinsically unsympathetic to 'woe is me' stories.

I assume he has knocked on every shop door in that street asking if anyone has a vacancy ?

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

yes, there is insufficient detail in the story

'Odd job Building' would require a car, and a few tools, trowel, bolster, club hammer etc, but the number of peopls that just want their rotting garden fence posts replaced, there's £100 a morning

Starting out is tough, he might have to carry his tools in a bag on ublic transport for a while.

I'm just intrinsically unsympathetic to 'woe is me' stories.

Sounds like a fairly deep level of hell doing it by public transport - most jobs (even simple ones) require far more to do them competently than initially you think and that is if you know exactly what you need before you turn up, then there's the materials/fixings etc. Even carrying a minimal generic kit the poor bugger would be knackered before he even arrived at the job and then stuck at it without the right materials to hand. In reality I think he would probably be refused on trying to board the bus in the first place. Then there is age - it would be a slow build up and he's not exactly building up a client base for a lifetime's work. 

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Sounds like a fairly deep level of hell doing it by public transport - most jobs (even simple ones) require far more to do them competently than initially you think and that is if you know exactly what you need before you turn up, then there's the materials/fixings etc. Even carrying a minimal generic kit the poor bugger would be knackered before he even arrived at the job and then stuck at it without the right materials to hand. In reality I think he would probably be refused on trying to board the bus in the first place. Then there is age - it would be a slow build up and he's not exactly building up a client base for a lifetime's work. 

Life isn't easy

I really don't think travelling on public transport with a holdall of tools to enable you to do small jobs (I'm not talking building an extension) is an unreasonable ask.

Edited by Hopeful

20 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Life isn't easy

I really don't think travelling on public transport with a holdall of tools to enable you to do small jobs (I'm not talking building an extension) is an unreasonable ask.

Think you're being a bit harsh. How many people in this mans position would just swing the lead and go on disability...well we know how many, millions. He has enough get up a go by being willing to walk around town with a sandwich board. If I was an employer and had a suitable position I'd employ him. Jesus come round my way, 2pm on a week day and most the fat scummy mummies are sat on their front step having a fag still in their pyjamas taking a break from watching TV.

Edited by gibbon

6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Think you're being a bit harsh. How many people in this mans position would just swing the lead and go on disability...well we know how many, millions. He has enough get up a go by being willing to walk around town with a sandwich board. If I was an employer and had a suitable position I'd employ him. Jesus come round my way, 2pm on a week day and most the fat scummy mummies are sat on their front step having a fag still in their pyjamas taking a break from watching TV.

I know I am

He has after all taken a step to finding a job that has got him loads of publicity.

I guess I am not really talking about this individual. He is doing more that swinging the lead.

What I'm really driving at is 'making your own work' as an option for people.

And life is tough. Nobody is due a free ride

Edited by Hopeful

The last time I saw a man with a similar billboard was about 20 years ago. I remember he was walking around Portsmouth town centre all the time with a cardboard sign over him.

I don't know what happened to him, but it is certainly nothing new.

Always save something for a rainy day, and have a plan B. During your working career, create a side business or asset base that you can live off and actively manage (OK not BTL) in your older years.

Cynical mode activated.

He was paid/ put up to it by the media, I expect this will be hitting the mainstream news shortly as such.

Again, as I've come to expect from most media, there's half a story being presented here.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

If he spent a few pounds on getting some cheap leaflets printed which said something like 'odd job man (ex Royal Navy), gardening, cleaning etc no job too small, £10 p/h, special rate for OAPs', and delivered them round areas with elderly retired populations, I am pretty sure his phone would not stop ringing with offers of work. 

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

but the number of peopls that just want their rotting garden fence posts replaced, there's £100 a morning, cash too

You are not going to be doing that without a vehicle.
Concrete breaker 23Kg
5' chisel 8Kg
Postcrete 20Kg per bag
Crowbar 5Kg
Impact driver/drill 5Kg
Toolbox 15Kg
Screws and fixings 5Kg
etc.

6 minutes ago, NTB said:

You are not going to be doing that without a vehicle.
Concrete breaker 23Kg
5' chisel 8Kg
Postcrete 20Kg per bag
Crowbar 5Kg
Impact driver/drill 5Kg
Toolbox 15Kg
Screws and fixings 5Kg
etc.

You don't need all that gear,

of course you can use all that gear to make it easy

Get the postcrete delivered with the posts and fence panels, most use B&Q

He'll want some Marigold gloves next ;-)

Edited by Hopeful

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

You don't need all that gear,

of course you can use all that gear to make it easy

Get the postcrete delivered with the posts and fence panels, most use B&Q

He'll want some Marigold gloves next ;-)

You do if you want to make any money. I am speaking from experience btw.