• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

May's election pledge to the world

Should foreign aid be kept or scrapped?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should foreign aid be kept or scrapped?

• Kept
    • Scrapped

I like that the link to the So-Called BBC website works, even with the "So-called" in there. Didn't think it would!

Anyway, back to the foreign aid discussion.. why guarantee a foreign aid contribution? Out of a choice of that, no tax rises or protection for pensions, it's a restriction on spending options that's surely the least likely to gain votes. 

2 minutes ago, The Second Mouse said:

I like that the link to the So-Called So-Called BBC website works, even with the "So-called" in there. Didn't think it would!

Anyway, back to the foreign aid discussion.. why guarantee a foreign aid contribution? Out of a choice of that, no tax rises or protection for pensions, it's a restriction on spending options that's surely the least likely to gain votes. 

I guess that their thinking is that the sjw vote is where it is at. Tax payers and pensioner votes are just so yesterday. 

On a serious note, in what way do they think this is a vote winner? Nit seems to me that they are playing to an international audience, gates, who I wonder how he has so much influence 

8 minutes ago, The Second Mouse said:

Interesting point about the international audience. it could be they're thinking of the post-brexit world - making the UK look big and generous to the world, a bit of PR  to get other countries thinking of us in warm, favourable terms ahead of negotiating trade deals

It could well be.  My train of thought was way more cynical. I was thinking bribes and corruption. Not on an individual level but gates is one of the richest people on the planet and that influences 

10 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

No problem for me in principle spending 0.7% of gdp on overseas aid. Having said that, we could do a much better job choosing what to spend it on.

Agreed. I think they could afford to have much more public scrutiny on international aid. I would quite like a website listing every spend over £1m. We could vote on it and anything getting more than 100k of downvotes would require a debate in parliament.

That would, I hope, stop the more stupid payments.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I can't seem to vote for some reason, but my vote would be to scrap it. It's yet more debt for the UK economy that our grandchildren will be paying for. Lunacy. 

I would complain to the site developer.  Go have a word with yourself.  xD

19 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I can't seem to vote for some reason, but my vote would be to scrap it. It's yet more debt for the UK economy that our grandchildren will be paying for. Lunacy. 

I don't object in principle to foreign aid. I object to its inefficient use, but that goes for most governmental expenditure anyway. I suppose I'm a Keynesian at heart and believe that surpluses from good years should be used to prime the pumps in lean years; not as governments use it now, spend everything in good years and then devise other ways to prime the pumps in lean years.

We keep getting called on to support humanitarian disasters all over the world by charities when given the amount that has been donated, even in just my lifetime, should have been sufficient to develop infrastructure to enable the recipients to cope without a continuous source of money.

My priorities for foreign aid would be to support necessary or desirable infrastructure projects, without strings, unlike US aid which is given with an ulterior motive to profit US companies. Secondly to provide support for unforeseen calamities, tsunamis, earthquakes, floods. But then my utopian world is just a dream. 

Uk foriegn aid should consist of:

The world service. Keeps the world informed and entertained. Gives the world a source of english to learn from.

Birth control programmes.

Trade programs policies. Be they low tarrifs or advise or seed cirn capital or old capital goods.

"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."
"It must come sometimes to 'jam to-day'," Alice objected.
"No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."
"I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"

My SJW friends are all going crazy over May's annoucement.  "I dont like her but she has done a great thing".

When I point out that the Uk is broke and most of the money is wasted/stolen/pays for the kids of the rich to have a safe gap year in range rovers I have got shouted at.

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

My SJW friends are all going crazy over May's annoucement.  "I dont like her but she has done a great thing".

When I point out that the Uk is broke and most of the money is wasted/stolen/pays for the kids of the rich to have a safe gap year in range rovers I have got shouted at.

She's a red Tory - an utterly futile gesture from her, as no SJW type would vote for her even if she gave 150% of GDP as foreign aid.

1 minute ago, Captain Cavey said:

Limit it to development funding where the Brits go in and build infrastructure linked to commodity trade deals coming back. Everyone wins 

Well, apart from those lining their pockets through corruption 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well, apart from those lining their pockets through corruption 

That's all part of the game. Always has been (to varying degrees).

The trouble is that China is taking over at this, have absolutely no morals and are asset stripping the developing world. 

19 hours ago, blobloblob said:

No problem for me in principle spending 0.7% of gdp on overseas aid. Having said that, we could do a much better job choosing what to spend it on.

You have the building of a link road to a port in Kenya (fair enough, to me at least)...

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/ukaid-supports-launch-of-ksh-22-billion-road-project-in-mombasa

....then you have £285m spent on an airport that is pretty much unusable...

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/news/dfid-evasive-blame-st-helena-airport-white-elephant-say-mps

10 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm happy for it to be a percentage of any surplus on our balance of trade. It sort of makes sense then as a rebalancing mechanism. 

As it stands we're borrowing money to give it away. Which is utter fucking lunacy!

Scrap it. It makes no sense to borrow money to give to someone else as we are just screwing ourselves in the long run. If moany guardian types give that much of a shit we can set up a government charity that they can give money to.