• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Wayne v. Cristianoa

Recommended Posts

Ronaldo and Bale are two superb examples of how you can be the world's best through decent talent and huge amounst of effort.

There was the famous story of Kevin Keegan during his five years at Scunthorpe where after training he would spend ages running up the terraces to make hismelf supremely fit and turned himself from an average footballer into a great one.

A local England rugby player who died recently (Brian Stack Stevens) was a full time farmer who then each evening would go down to the beach (Praa Sands) and run up and down it for hours.

Obviously you need the talent in the first place but the application is the difference between being England captain and seeing out your career at Scunthorpe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfair on Rooney, he is still a decent premier league player after 16 years at the top level and his goalscoring record this year is excellent. Not many players can say that. I would be tempted to try to get him to go to the world cup this year, much the same as I would have taken Gazza to France 98. Even if they do not fully deserve it on current form grounds, they would be popular and inspirational figures to have around, particularly for young players who idolised him in their youth. That is surely more important than a central midfielder who might play 15 minutes in the third group game if they are lucky. And team spirit is not something that England have appeared to have for a few years now.

I think it is also now fair to say that Ronaldo is the second greatest player of all time, even if earlier in the season he did finally look to be starting to show his age. He has been the joint best player in the world for nearly a decade now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Came off his shin. 

Amazingly he'd already miscontrolled it once during the build up too. In fact a lot of Rooney's technique was pretty awful; he's one of the worst short passers of the ball I've ever seen. And then being so determined to tackle back that you find yourself your team's deepest player when you're supposed to be playing forward isn't exactly a virtue, even if it might look like one.

Everton need to be careful if they are developing a deliberate policy of signing other's cast-offs - that's exactly what led to Sunderland's current predicament. The reason that the likes of Rodwell and Johnson were "frozen out" at Manchester City is because they are shit. John O'Shea is an embarrassment of a footballer content to pick up wages under any circumstances and at any cost to his personal dignity. And yet even with our current plight I wouldn't be enthused by news of the arrival of Rooney, or Walcott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ronaldo and Bale are two superb examples of how you can be the world's best through decent talent and huge amounst of effort.

There was the famous story of Kevin Keegan during his five years at Scunthorpe where after training he would spend ages running up the terraces to make hismelf supremely fit and turned himself from an average footballer into a great one.

A local England rugby player who died recently (Brian Stack Stevens) was a full time farmer who then each evening would go down to the beach (Praa Sands) and run up and down it for hours.

Obviously you need the talent in the first place but the application is the difference between being England captain and seeing out your career at Scunthorpe.

And from the animal world

Norton's Coin 1980 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner

On the morning of the race a 200:1 outsider

John Humphries on the Today Programme on the morning of the race interviewing the rank outsider's Welsh farmer owner

"So, what makes you think you have a chance?"

"Well, I weigh over 16st and I exercise the horse every morning and this afternoon he'll just have 12st on his back"

Horse started at 100:1

 

 

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eight said:

Amazingly he'd already miscontrolled it once during the build up too. In fact a lot of Rooney's technique was pretty awful; he's one of the worst short passers of the ball I've ever seen. And then being so determined to tackle back that you find yourself your team's deepest player when you're supposed to be playing forward isn't exactly a virtue, even if it might look like one.

Everton need to be careful if they are developing a deliberate policy of signing other's cast-offs - that's exactly what led to Sunderland's current predicament. The reason that the likes of Rodwell and Johnson were "frozen out" at Manchester City is because they are shit. John O'Shea is an embarrassment of a footballer content to pick up wages under any circumstances and at any cost to his personal dignity. And yet even with our current plight I wouldn't be enthused by news of the arrival of Rooney, or Walcott.

Yes I've always thought this about Rooney in terms of his close control. Horrendous much of the time. 

His overhead looked great but was in fact just very lucky and started off the move due to him fucking up controlling the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yes I've always thought this about Rooney in terms of his close control. Horrendous much of the time. 

His overhead looked great but was in fact just very lucky and started off the move due to him fucking up controlling the ball. 

Every player has their weaknesses.  George Best was rubbish at heading for example.

Wayne Rooney's assets are: strength, low centre of gravity, shot, positioning, tackling / fighting for the ball.

That's a good set for a striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.