• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

Awe inspiring opening ceremonies

Another athletics meet, another awe inspiring opening ceremony.  I hate them.  They're completely irrelevant, other than to maybe push some sort of cult of celebrity, which never works out as for the most past athletes are boring single minded training people not natural trendsetters.

They're not awe inspiring.  They're boring.  A slow procession of boring people that I don't particularly care about, with some fireworks to spunk the budget.

And, as far as I can tell, the impact has been to make an abstract thing called 'sport' something that people consume, rather than take part in.  I wouldn't mind, but people, as far as I can tell, don't actually like watching the athletics -- we never see loads of people watching down the local county games.  It is just about being seen to see -- so you can say 'did you see that 100m the other day.  Oh, it was so inspiring', even though the actual details are lost on the observers.

And as for patriotism -- all the evidence suggests that any one of them would go somewhere else if it gave them a fraction of a better opportunity for funding, if only said somewhere else would have them.

[Apart from Ennis.  She gets a free pass from me.]

I did quite like the London Olympics Opening ceremony, it did lapse into the ridiculous occasionally but on the whole, I really quite enjoyed it.

I do admit though that the majority of them do appear quite naff. Expensively naff, bit like someone doing a gold plated Garden Gnome tableau in their front garden so all the neighbours can see. 

Oh I thought the London 2012 ceremony was dire. Mainly the guests - fucking Jessie J.... This from a country that has produced at least 50% of the top 100 best-selling artists of all time. WTF-ery all round.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

Oh I thought the London 2012 ceremony was dire. Mainly the guests - fucking Jessie J.... This from a country that has produced at least 50% of the top 100 best-selling artists of all time. WTF-ery all round.

Oh yeah, that was shite. So iconic she's still about...wasn't that the closing ceremony though? That really was abysmal.

I, for one, am looking forward to the opening ceremony of this years World Cup where babushkas, through the medium of interpretative dance, re-create the dispersal of nerve agents into the audience while dancing on a stage built to look like a burning airliner.

It'll be splendid.

36 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Never heard of her before I saw this.

i dont like sport,my x even tried to get me interested in the olympics by recording the beach volley ball,moter raceing is just an orderly procession of pampered multi millionares going around a racetrack in an orderly fasion the football title is bought by the richest jack walker was correct i will buy the title and he did.mma was good before that to got taken over by the money men and to many rules put in place,i used to love boxing but since eubank,watson and nigel benn i cant even be arsed with that.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

London did use Pink Floyd for the finale...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bRFnVcF9o

Edited by Dave Beans

4 hours ago, Fischer said:

Never heard of her before I saw this.

That would have been much better if they'd tuned the guitar.

And tuned the singer.

Or better still, used a different singer (and probably guitarist).

And sung a different song.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

And tuned the singer.

I'd never heard of her before, but having just watched a bit to 'find out', I think she can perform to be fair, so not talentless by any means, and with regard to singing, many couldn't do anything at all without autotune to help them as is often evidenced when they perform a song live on a radio arts review programme, womans hour etc. I'd would't use her appearance as an opportunity to go to the loo if she took the stage at a club - I don't put her into the 'it's just a row' category

Edited by Hopeful

45 minutes ago, dgul said:

And tuned the singer.

You do realise it's a "shred"?

This doesn't have the original audio either.

3 minutes ago, Fischer said:

Well, it isn't actually a shred, but it meant to be humerous?

I'd, then, suggest that vocal artists who can barely manage to holds things together at the best of times shouldn't start doing spoofs of 'not managing to hold it together'.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, it isn't actually a shred, but it meant to be humerous?

I'd, then, suggest that vocal artists who can barely manage to holds things together at the best of times shouldn't start doing spoofs of 'not managing to hold it together'.

Isn't it someone completely different dubbing an new audio (voice and guitar) over the top ? i.e. it's not jesse's voice, or the original guitar player

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Isn't it someone completely different dubbing an new audio (voice and guitar) over the top ? i.e. it's not jesse's voice, or the original guitar player

Ah!  That isn't what shredding used to be.   People have clearly got too much time.

[says I typing crap]

5 hours ago, stokiescum said:

moter raceing is just an orderly procession of pampered multi millionares going around a racetrack in an orderly fasion

If you like fast cars with lots of overtaking, rather than watch the snooze-fest that is F1 (I usually watch the F1 races, but even I turned off the this year's Australian race after about 30 minutes), check out the World Endurance Championship, and especially the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

There are four different classes of cars on the same track at the same time, which results in thousands of overtaking manoeuvres during the 24 hour race.  I should point out that most of the overtaking is actually slower classes of cars being lapped, but unlike F1, the cars being lapped do not have to get out of the way - it is up to the quicker cars to drive around them.

Bringing this post slighly back on topic, the opening ceremony of Le Mans consists of a band playing a bit of the national anthem of  each country that is represented by a driver, (which can get a bit tedious as there are about 150 drivers) with a flyby (down the pit straight) of the French equivalent of the Red Arrows (which is not tedious at all).

At least it's not expensive...

2 minutes ago, Lipid said:

If you like fast cars with lots of overtaking, rather than watch the snooze-fest that is F1 (I usually watch the F1 races, but even I turned off the this year's Australian race after about 30 minutes), check out the World Endurance Championship, and especially the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

There are four different classes of cars on the same track at the same time, which results in thousands of overtaking manoeuvres during the 24 hour race.  I should point out that most of the overtaking is actually slower classes of cars being lapped, but unlike F1, the cars being lapped do not have to get out of the way - it is up to the quicker cars to drive around them.

Bringing this post slighly back on topic, the opening ceremony of Le Mans consists of a band playing a bit of the national anthem of  each country that is represented by a driver, (which can get a bit tedious as there are about 150 drivers) with a flyby (down the pit straight) of the French equivalent of the Red Arrows (which is not tedious at all).

At least it's not expensive...

But all that is fine.  If you actually like it (the sport) then it's great to have a bit of an opener.  I just don't think that many people like watching athletics.

1 hour ago, Lipid said:

Strange times when F1 is a fuel saving, mechanical sympathy, limited budget endurance cruise, whilst WEC is a series of consecutive flat out sprints.

F1 has a generational pull on those that grew up with it, but my guess is many casual viewers have, or are, turning away. They don't realise that what they watched last Sunday was HAM backing off from challenging VET for the win because he needed to protect his engine for the remainder of the season, having to make three engines last all year, or be penalised. If not that, the pace is limited by fuel saving lift and coast. F1 was once the test for the fastest driver, the fastest car, the cleverest designers, and the most innovative technologists, whether engine building, aerodynamics, suspension and tyres, fuels, and cunning strategy. At some point it changed, ending up with what we now have.

How much more exciting to find out Honda had a new V12 being shipped in for Saturday qualifying to replace Friday practice engine, grenade spec, if it blows doesn't matter, fresh motor for the race chap. Now to save money it's run like an old Morris Minor being bodged with a newspaper and polyfilla.

Yet some of us can't let it go, we are still hooked, even though it's a shadow of what it was, or maybe it isn't.

WEC has it's own problems, should be awesome, but somehow it isn't, maybe it is.     

Posted (edited)

Having a big fuck off opening ceremony is an essential part of the global pissing contest that is international sport now.

Just like the Roman gladiatorial games it is all about boosting the prestige of those who are sponsoring them be it Julius Caesar or Coca Cola.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Just finished watching the Masters par 3. 

That made me really happy. Tom Watson winning and Jack Nicklous' grandson, taking a shot as a caddy and getting his first hole in one. Just magic.

2 hours ago, Fischer said:

I remember a thread about these shreds on ToS a couple of years ago. I corpsed with laughter at this Hall & Oates one. xD

I found a good one with Tarkus by Emerson Lake & Palmer. Just the first 2 or 3 minutes as opposed to the whole 21 minutes.

6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

i used to love boxing but since eubank,watson and nigel benn i cant even be arsed with that.

Boxing is unfathomable.

We are watching , or not actually because it's £19.95, except for villains that stream illegally, the same carefully orchestrated passage through the ranks with Anthony Joshua as we have seen since the sport began. He nearly came unstuck against the un-fancied Parker, the obvious play being to take Joshua into the later rounds when his heavily muscled frame will work against him, just as it used to with 'Our Frank' Bruno. The Italian ref also helping by separating the tiring clinching Parker tried to apply. Much as I like the guy I can see him being primed for a mega-money unification title fight with a top American and be handed his arse.

Somebody else can tell him though.

Apart from Tyson, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and all those legendary US fighters from the '80s and early '90s, and the domestic battlers, Eubank, Watson, Benn, so many household names, all respect to them for what they achieved, there has been so many blatant fixes in boxing, it's not even worth taking seriously, except we still do.

Now and again, something really exciting happens, such as when Britain's Lloyd 'Ragamuffin Man' Honeyghan beat Donald Currie in US back in 1986. Nobody expected Lloyd to triumph over the previously unbeaten champion Currie, especially not travelling to his back yard, but he pasted him. Awesome. Probably the biggest upset and most exciting fight I've ever seen.

Mostly our British boxing heroes meet the same fate as beloved battler Tony Sibson, being completely battered by Marvin Hagler.

If Joshua pulls it off, nobody will be happier than me. Good luck to him.

Especially because he sounds just like Joe Strummer.   

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/true-extent-illegal-livestreaming-around-12300850

i honestly have watched no boxing in 15 years i dont even know who is the world champion,i knew lewis won it then some russians thats it.i know man city will win the title and i hope stoke go down,i simply cant be arsed with sport .