• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

oh we do like to be beside the seaside: heroin deaths

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43641025

Seaside resort towns are among those with the highest rates of death from heroin and morphine, figures show.

The rate in Blackpool, which topped the list, is twice as high as anywhere else in England and Wales, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Its survey also shows that, of the 14 places with the highest such death rates, 10 are coastal communities.

The ONS said many seaside towns struggled as foreign holidays increased in popularity.

Public Health England (PHE) has suggested a link between areas of social deprivation and drug misuse.

And i thought the worst threats were from being bitten by a donkey or getting fat on the chips and ice cream.  o.O

seaside.png

Seaside towns tend to attract runaways.  Penzance is often the destination for those who wanted to run as far as they could as that's the end of the train / bus line.

I assumed that Penzance and Weston super Mare would feature on the list as they are the regional blackspots.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Seaside towns tend to attract runaways.  Penzance is often the destination for those who wanted to run as far as they could as that's the end of the train / bus line.

I assumed that Penzance and Weston super Mare would feature on the list as they are the regional blackspots.

Growing up, scabby was always quite posh. To think it has come 10th in the skank central league is a bit of an eye opener to me. 

Im sure @spygirl will be along to tell me to take off my rose tinted retrospective glasses. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Growing up, scabby was always quite posh. To think it has come 10th in the skank central league is a bit of an eye opener to me. 

Im sure @spygirl will be along to tell me to take off my rose tinted retrospective glasses. 

There's a lot of faded glamour in these seaside towns which I like.

This run in Weymouth is superb.

hotel-norfolk.jpg

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

No, Scarbs was posh.

Weve had this chat before. You could not remember Rowntrees grand store.

There are still, even now, some very rich old ladies from west yorkshire who take a suite or room out in one of posh hotels - not the grand or a bnb - for a month in summer.

But these are dying out, rapidly.

Scarbs first fall was in the mid 80s, when it began to suffer from package holidays and the industrial heartland losing jobs. I swear there were the arseend of glasgow weeks, sheffield weeks in 88.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There's a lot of faded glamour in these seaside towns which I like.

This run in Weymouth is superb.

hotel-norfolk.jpg

I *love* Weymouth.

Seriously.

Dont like bournemouth. Centre is a shithole. Lots of tge yown are 'worse than middlesbrough'.

Boscombe has to be seen to be believed.

need to be chemists who do methadone. remove them and the smack heads fuck off.

likewise introduce a chemist with the special door and your area will slide into shit.

sod helping the, extra strong stuff and they're gone.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No, Scarbs was posh.

Weve had this chat before. You could not remember Rowntrees grand store.

There are still, even now, some very rich old ladies from west yorkshire who take a suite or room out in one of posh hotels - not the grand or a bnb - for a month in summer.

But these are dying out, rapidly.

Scarbs first fall was in the mid 80s, when it began to suffer from package holidays and the industrial heartland losing jobs. I swear there were the arseend of glasgow weeks, sheffield weeks in 88.

I *love* Weymouth.

Seriously.

Dont like bournemouth. Centre is a shithole. Lots of tge yown are 'worse than middlesbrough'.

Boscombe has to be seen to be believed.

Ah yes. I do remember rowntrees now, after we discussed it. Beautiful old building. 

And savile.  Don’t forget savile and his mate. o.O

29 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ive heard the argument that the thing that made seaside resorts popular - being far from urban area, is the thing tgey makes then economic holes.

Its bullshit.

What happened was bnb and tourist people domibate tge council, so spend all council time n money on pomoting tourism.

Then you get the deadbeats who was up in ghe towns. A reverse of the bright going to London; the dross end up in Scabby, bpool, whitby - Oh, whitbys lovely let move there - with no thought for job, dxpecting council to pick up tab.

This has been going on for 30 yeaes.

Id guess 50% of scabbys population arnt from the area.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Ah yes. I do remember rowntrees now, after we discussed it. Beautiful old building. 

And savile.  Don’t forget savile and his mate. o.O

Thats Southcluff, the last bit of gentile scarbs clinging in.

Some bits are stunning.

Itll be down cliff soon...

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

need to be chemists who do methadone. remove them and the smack heads fuck off.

likewise introduce a chemist with the special door and your area will slide into shit.

sod helping the, extra strong stuff and they're gone.

No.

Make benefits inc. Methadone conditional on holding down a job.

Thats it.

Just now, spygirl said:

Ive heard the argument that the thing that made seaside resorts popular - being far from urban area, is the thing tgey makes then economic holes.

Its bullshit.

What happened was bnb and tourist people domibate tge council, so spend all council time n money on pomoting tourism.

Then you get the deadbeats who was up in ghe towns. A reverse of the bright going to London; the dross end up in Scabby, bpool, whitby - Oh, whitbys lovely let move there - with no thought for job, dxpecting council to pick up tab.

This has been going on for 30 yeaes.

Id guess 50% of scabbys population arnt from the area.

Don’t forget the second home owners who have sucked the lifeblood out of once thriving seaside towns. 

Whitby isn’t really a seaside town.  It is (was) a once great seafaring town, steeped in history. Finding the new world, whale fishing, fishing.  Where the dates for Easter was decided, st Hilda, mate of the venerable beade. The list goes on.  

Now, it’s a bloody theme park. Oh and somewhere to spread the drops of Middlesbrough to. 

The bullshit about struggling due foreigh hols is crap.

Package holidats started early 70s. By mid 80s the damage was done.

The problem with holiday resorts is paying benefits to dossers.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t forget the second home owners who have sucked the lifeblood out of once thriving seaside towns. 

Whitby isn’t really a seaside town.  It is (was) a once great seafaring town, steeped in history. Finding the new world, whale fishing, fishing.  Where the dates for Easter was decided, st Hilda, mate of the venerable beade. The list goes on.  

Now, it’s a bloody theme park. Oh and somewhere to spread the drops of Middlesbrough to. 

Oh whales went 100s of years ago. Greenpeace protest too much.

Closest ive seen to a whale hunt was a mad back to nature, hacking up a porpiuse, on the slipway, in august. Blood everywhere. People puking. Mummy, mummy, what she doing to flipper.

Fish havd gone too.

They need to kill all the seals. What white fish left inshore is riddled.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Whitby struggle as its a small town. In normal situation, people would travel to boro or scabby fir work. But both places are evonomuc basketcases.

Just now, spygirl said:

Oh whales went 100s of years ago. Greenpeace protest too much.

Closest ive seen to a whale hunt was a mad back to nature, hacking up a porpiuse, on the slipway, in august. Blood everywhere. People puking. Mummy, mummy, what she doing to flipper.

Fish havd gone too.

They need to kill all the seals. What white fish left inshore is riddled.

Yeah I know but pointing out the rich history. 

Now we have the goths. And er, the goths. 

Even regatta day is not what it was. Used to be run by locals for nothing, just because it was the regatta and a tradition. 

Now it is run by kenyon and her ilk as a money making company. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yeah I know but pointing out the rich history. 

Now we have the goths. And er, the goths. 

Even regatta day is not what it was. Used to be run by locals for nothing, just because it was the regatta and a tradition. 

Now it is run by kenyon and her ilk as a money making company. 

Fat goths.

Kenyons been gone 3-4 years.

Theyre reaping the concillor, were folded in with rscar.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Yup, it's never been the same since the synod of Whitby. Gone to the dogs.

7 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Haven't been there since the 80s I'm afraid...

but I'm never one to let the facts get in the way of a cheap joke.

It was much better back then. Oh the time of my youth. Good times. :)