• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

mooncat69

Respect for tradition

When visiting Japan, I spent a lot of time visiting shrines. Without exception, these are immaculate and intact, even though the ornate decorations must be worth a few bob. I can't imagine that happening in England.

5 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

When visiting Japan, I spent a lot of time visiting shrines. Without exception, these are immaculate and intact, even though the ornate decorations must be worth a few bob. I can't imagine that happening in England.

Not really the same, but I spent a while walking disused railway lines in Portugal. What was noticeable was how much of the rail and assorted paraphernalia was left in situ. Despite being the poorest country in Europe it seems they can "afford" to not drive around in Transit vans nicking every bit of metal that doesn't have an armed guard. Contrast with the UK.

7 minutes ago, eight said:

Not really the same, but I spent a while walking disused railway lines in Portugal. What was noticeable was how much of the rail and assorted paraphernalia was left in situ. Despite being the poorest country in Europe it seems they can "afford" to not drive around in Transit vans nicking every bit of metal that doesn't have an armed guard. Contrast with the UK.

Years ago I did a holiday taking the train from Porto up the coast to Spain. Fantastic time

Maybe - just maybe, one day in the future, Islam and the middle east will sort itself out, end its civil wars and come to some manner of reconciliation among themselves.

And then possibly look back at the priceless artefacts that the once-proud countries had, now destroyed and air-brushed from history by Islam's more militant factions.

29 minutes ago, eight said:

But they're disused because someone stole their trains.

25 minutes ago, Goat said:

Scrap iron/steel is worth what?  £50 - £100 per tonne, just not worth it really, you'd spend all your profit on diesel.

Still gets nicked around here. 

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Scrap iron/steel is worth what?  £50 - £100 per tonne, just not worth it really, you'd spend all your profit on diesel.

Lead is £500 - £1,000 per tonne, copper £3,500 - £4,000 hence why it gets nicked.

well the staffordshire blue ridgetiles got stolen off my wall,about 25 of em....fking bastards

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I take it you mean outdoor unattended ones?

There are loads of medieval churches open to the public everyday and lots of prehistoric monuments dotted around that don't get trashed.

Even with remote, rural churches, I've seen some with a note on the door stating that the it is now locked because of some bad experience.

The respect for culture and the elderly is built into Confucianism, although it could be argued that it is in Christianity, too, but no one follows that in the UK anymore.

I know what you mean about Japan although I have never been to a shrine which was not crowded and likely supervised by some security. However in comparison although I know that many churches are locked routinely here it surprises me that there are some that seem to be routinely unlocked and completely deserted despite often having real treasures in terms of ancient artifacts/statues/carvings etc. I could give examples that I know of but would not want to publicize the real extreme cases that I am aware of just in case some very un-dosbods person happened across here.

3 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Red diesel makes nicking iron profitable.

Surely just nicking diesel makes nicking iron more profitable?

What is tradition? 

IMO it changes over time. Nothing ever stays the same. 

The sentence...nothing ever stays the same....is up there with the two well received sentences about life regarding certainty.

The other two are death and that you’ll be taxed!

Anyone who cares to learn to meditate (in a Buddhist philosophy orientated situation) will discover a third certainty regarding life, IMO.

16 minutes ago, eight said:

and yet when I was wandering the Portuguese countryside looking for a cork tree to fashion a stopper for my lunch wine bottle I found that they had all been stripped bare

8 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

and yet when I was wandering the Portuguese countryside looking for a cork tree to fashion a stopper for my lunch wine bottle I found that they had all been stripped bare

And the wankers drop more litter than even modern day Brits. Loads of rubbish even on Portuguese back roads.

23 hours ago, eight said:

There are very few "Irish Travellers" in Portugal I suspect.

Rose tinted glasses off, most European cities are absolutely smothered in graffiti. London isn't anywhere near as bad as Paris or Rome etc. The amount of graffiti in mainland Europe is shocking.

22 hours ago, stokiescum said:

well the staffordshire blue ridgetiles got stolen off my wall,about 25 of em....fking bastards

I had my yorkstone patio nicked. 

Turns out they are bloody expensive to replace.

20 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

There are very few "Irish Travellers" in Portugal I suspect.

Rose tinted glasses off, most European cities are absolutely smothered in graffiti. London isn't anywhere near as bad as Paris or Rome etc. The amount of graffiti in mainland Europe is shocking.

Yes that's true. Trains as well, graffiti'ed to the point you can't see out of the windows. I've always found it a baffling activity.

On 4/5/2018 at 16:24, mooncat69 said:

In Japan it's not just the shrines though, more a general attitude of everyone being responsible for looking after the environment around them. Pretty much everywhere is kept immaculate: parks, subways, even public toilets.

15 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

In Japan it's not just the shrines though, more a general attitude of everyone being responsible for looking after the environment around them. Pretty much everywhere is kept immaculate: parks, subways, even public toilets.

Even shrines are rebuilt every few years, which is why they look new. Feng shui.

23 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Red diesel makes nicking iron profitable.

Diesel's even cheaper siphoned out of lorries parked in laybys overnight.

On 05/04/2018 at 16:33, eight said:

Guess you've probably seen this