• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

oh dear ,i think ive over steped the mark with my piss takeing regarding sport and mr bristows demise,i ended up geting the silent treatment in the pub.i just joked it wasnt a sport and doing fk all but drinking was a possable factor behind his demise,but sadly they idolise darts players around here and most would want it included in the olympics...

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Next time you see them apologise profusely and say in hindsight you were dead wrong.

Couldn't have been the drink, must have the salted peanuts.

bull's eye

Edited by Hopeful

I'd describe darts as mostly boring. Whether it is a sport or not. It is an incredibly limited activity with almost no variation and no strategy other than to try to hit the treble twenty as often as possible and to be reasonable at maths so as to work out your exit in the final round.

Once you've peppered the living room wall with holes and got to the stage where you can hit said treble twenty more often than not, there are no additional "layers" to the game. Unlike, say, snooker.

25 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I'd describe darts as mostly boring. Whether it is a sport or not. It is an incredibly limited activity with almost no variation and no strategy other than to try to hit the treble twenty as often as possible and to be reasonable at maths so as to work out your exit in the final round.

Once you've peppered the living room wall with holes and got to the stage where you can hit said treble twenty more often than not, there are no additional "layers" to the game. Unlike, say, snooker.

its shit what i didnt realise is that he relocated to stoke and had pubs here,and he got on well with his punters

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

its shit what i didnt realise is that he relocated to stoke and had pubs here,and he got on well with his punters

Well, Eric Bristow was a good ambassador for his sport game and from what I recall, genuinely likeable.

I suspect that darts was always more of a "northern thing" albeit IIRC some of the tournaments were held in Thurrock, Essex.

Times change..

Eric Bristow pissed off a lot of people in the last year ot two with a comment deriding male victims of sexual abuse for 'not being real men' or words to that effect. >:( 

Yeah right Eric - as if they had a choice about that. 9_9

It was probably around the time that Burnell football case came to light.

28 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Eric Bristow pissed off a lot of people in the last year ot two with a comment deriding male victims of sexual abuse for 'not being real men' or words to that effect. >:( 

Yeah right Eric - as if they had a choice about that. 9_9

It was probably around the time that Burnell football case came to light.

It was, something about the footballers who were abused as children ought to seek out their abuser and give him a hiding if they were real men.

Nonsense of course as it doesn't prevent the abuse but it's just one of those offhand down the pub comment that he hadn't thought through before opening his mouth IMO and an apology should have been sufficient; instead he was slaughtered and lost his commentating work.

1 hour ago, unregistered_guest said:

I refuse to comment on this subject until I hear what Diane Abbottopotamus has to say on the matter.

Well, unregistered_guest, while Eric Bisto's death is clearly very sad for fans, what I want to know is where are all the black darts players? Jeremy and I have always favoured greater minority participation in this sport, and until that happens I don't think I have anything more to say.

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Well, unregistered_guest, while Eric Bisto's death is clearly very sad for fans, what I want to know is where are all the black darts players? Jeremy and I have always favoured greater minority participation in this sport, and until that happens I don't think I have anything more to say.

They got banned for using blowpipes.:ph34r:

8 hours ago, DTMark said:

Well, Eric Bristow was a good ambassador for his sport game and from what I recall, genuinely likeable.

I suspect that darts was always more of a "northern thing" albeit IIRC some of the tournaments were held in Thurrock, Essex.

Times change..

Every now and then a few locals get together for a game down Farnborough / Frimley way...

5 hours ago, Hopeful said:

So, what you're trying to say is that darts is institutionally racist because of its inherent bias against the arithmetically challenged?

Surely darts, snooker and a variety of other pub games are ideal for modern times as both men and women could play on a level playing field in the same league.

Just now, unregistered_guest said:

So, what you're trying to say is that darts is institutionally racist because of its inherent bias against the arithmetically challenged?

"No, that's not what I'm saying unregistered_guest, what I'm saying is that I've got nothing more to say on the matter, I have said all I'm going to say"

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was, something about the footballers who were abused as children ought to seek out their abuser and give him a hiding if they were real men.

Nonsense of course as it doesn't prevent the abuse but it's just one of those offhand down the pub comment that he hadn't thought through before opening his mouth IMO and an apology should have been sufficient; instead he was slaughtered and lost his commentating work.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall reading somewhere that when those who've been abused do potentially confront their abusers later in life they often blackmail them for money rather than beat them to a pulp.

There was a sad case where a lad, when he got to his twenties, blackmailed his abusers, a pair of elderly brothers who owned a garage. He demanded more and more money and they eventually snapped and murdered him and were found at their garage and they'd both gassed themselves in a car. Tragic and a tricky one for the moral maze, I'd blame them really but who's to say he'd have got anywhere with the police, if he'd gone to them.

Edited by SNACR

30 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Surely darts, snooker and a variety of other pub games are ideal for modern times as both men and women could play on a level playing field in the same league.

A level playing field is a good idea for snooker.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Snooker's harder for women as height and reach are important. Plus boobs get in the way. Pool is a more level playing field but, again, boobs can be an issue.

2 minutes ago, This Time said:

Snooker's harder for women as height and reach are important. Plus boobs get in the way. Pool is a more level playing field but, again, boobs can be an issue.

Jimmy White 5'8".

Ronnie O'Sullivan - 5'9".

Hardly towering figures.

And I think Big Bill's Belly was probably more of a handicap than a couple of B cups.

Image result for bill werbeniuk snooker

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Jimmy White 5'8".

Ronnie O'Sullivan - 5'9".

Hardly towering figures.

And I think Big Bill's Belly was probably more of a handicap than a couple of B cups.

Image result for bill werbeniuk snooker

The average height for a woman in the UK is 5'4" - those extra few inches are the difference between reaching most shots and having to use a rest half the bloody time. 

2 minutes ago, This Time said:

The average height for a woman in the UK is 5'4"

Is that really true - or is it skewed by a number of very short Grandma's?

My wife is 5'8" and doesn't look look tall when with her friends.