• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Jury service

Jury Service  

45 members have voted

1. 1. I've been called

• More than once
    • Once
    • I haven't been called
  2. 2. If called

• I have been on a jury
    • I sat around eating sandwiches
    • I haven't been called (I think you need this option in so people can answer both Qs)

I haven't done it, nor have most people I know, but some have been called twice.

IIRC the likelihood of being called even once is only one in three during your eligible years and even then your chances of sitting on a jury is less than half.

Testing these stats with a poll.  And I know that not all eventualities have been covered because I couldn't be bothered.

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Being self-employed, if I was called up I'd have to respectfully decline as I couldn't afford that sort of time away from the business.

If I was working for someone else then pass the sandwiches.

Unfortunately there's no concession for self-employed or key man business people - hence me having to move.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Shit, really?

I thought you were given leeway being self employed if you could prove it would affect your bottom line.

That's an outrage if otherwise.  :o

You can usually (but not guaranteed) get off once but you will definitely get called again later if you do.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Shit, really?

I thought you were given leeway being self employed if you could prove it would affect your bottom line.

"He who shouts loudest". 

I made a right stink about it at the time and they agreed I'd stay on the list but only be called if they had to dismiss x amount of other jurors. 

Oh and then I moved house and only rejoined the electoral register after moving house a further time. 

51 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Shit, really?

You can get stuffed by it. Just a matter of luck, risk is you get landed with a case that drags on - easily enough to bring down a company in the wrong circumstances.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You can get stuffed by it. Just amateur of luck, risk is you get landed with a case that drags on - easily enough to bring down a company in the wrong circumstances.

Surely you just turn up in your best BNP paraphernalia

Doubt you will get given a case.

It's civilian conscription. When I did mine a number of my fellow conscripts were most unchuffed and some even managed to whine so plaintively to the Clerk of the Court as to be discharged.

For myself, I enjoyed the experience overall even managing to do a bit of  work on my laptop while waiting to be called for 2 cases, during one of which I achieved a life's ambition to be Henry Fonda in "12 Angry Men", forcing a mistrial in a ludicrous Blair "Proceeds of Crime" law stitch-up. The initial vote was 11-1 to convict but ended-up 11-2 to acquit.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

I was called about 12 years ago. Again, self employed, and was genuinely disappointed to find that their expenses would stretch to a maximum of £30 per day, including travel, because I quite fancied doing it. So I rang up to tell them it just wasn't possible, and they advised me to write a letter to someone very official sounding (can't remember the title), and basically plead to be excused. The guy I spoke to said that there'd be no problem, but was very clear that I basically had to ask nicely instead of telling them to pay my daily rate or go and fuck themselves.

I asked very politely and they immediately excused me. Never been called again since.

I must be the only person to have made from being on a jury.  Got called a few years ago.  Stupid HR in a public sector job said that I would not be paid and wrote a letter for the court saying as much.  Court people could not believe it but paid me out the paltry 50 quid a day or whatever it was.  Then, stupid HR never deducted my wage for the two weeks. 

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Being self-employed, if I was called up I'd have to respectfully decline as I couldn't afford that sort of time away from the business.

Being director of ltd company I had to claim on my company's office insurance policy. It took months for them to agree to it, I assume I'm one of the few people to ever be paid out. Judging by the initial responses I might have been the first to ask! 

I also deferred asking to be considered out of the bee season. :) They did! 

Edited by sarahbell

Called, sat around for less than an hour then straight in to court.

Case only lasted an hour as defendant had been stopped while driving with several stolen specimen trees tied to the top of his car.

His defence consisted of saying that despite branches covering part of the windscreen, he hadn't noticed the trees when he got into the car and somebody else must have put them there.  

None of the other 11 jurors wanted to be foreman so I offered, asked if anyone had anything to say (one woman wanted to know if we would get a meal), called a vote, unanimous guilty verdict, back into court within ten minutes and home for tea.

The experience didn't really live up to expectations.

5 hours ago, Dipsy said:

Never been called, only know one person who has - described it as extremely frustrating as some of the other jurors were as thick as mince.

Pretty accurate assessment.

Done it once, personally enjoyed it, however actually made money on the deal as employer paid me minus the court allowance, but mad a bit on the petrol as I had moved between the initial call and serving. 

Was called for a second time, you can be excused if you have served  in the previuos two years. I would have done it but my boss wasn't keen, to be fair its a small business so he would have been out of pocket so got excused.

Found the whole process very interesting, but got a decent case. Although as mentioned most of the jury were completely incapable of doing the job properly.

5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

i joined the FSB when I started out as a sole trader and it covers jury service, £100 a day I think.  I need to check if I'd still qualify as a director. 

Edited by Battenberg
A sole trader not ass ole trader

My pal just finished jury service. Told it would be 3 days ended up being 3 weeks. If i was called up i would get out of it easily . I'd just say i am prejudiced. Which I am to a point. So are most folk. 

I've never been called but I really hope I do some time - he chances seem quite high as I know loads of people who have (maybe we have more jury trials in Canada?). My company has a policy of not allowing work commitments to be given as a reason not to serve (although they have no actual way of checking it that I can think of) and of maintaining full pay and benefits for the duration, whatever that may be, so there's no reason I can think of not to.

2 hours ago, Battenberg said:

i joined the FSB when I started out as a sole trader and it covers jury service, £100 a day I think.  I need to check if I'd still qualify as a director. 

Sure you will still qualify but TBH £500 would make shit all difference to the damage done to a business by the key man being away for five weeks.