• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Double glazing tilt windows lockable handle replacement

Hi,

I have a brass effect lockable window handle on a PVC double glazed window that snapped this morning. It was a tad stiff last night. When I turned it this morning to open it the handle just snapped off.

I assume these are easy to replace? Just unscrew it, oil the mechanism on the inside and screw a replacement into the window? Or is there anything else that I need to be aware / careful of? Is the width between the screw holes standard these days?

They appear to be about £15 in places like B&Q / Homebase but the online stores sell them for about 5 or 6 quid. It is not my house so I just want a replacement that works rather than paying out for the best quality. The current one looks cheap and cheerful.

TIA for any advice / info.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Hi,

I have a brass effect lockable window handle on a PVC double glazed window that snapped this morning. It was a tad stiff last night. When I turned it this morning to open it the handle just snapped off.

I assume these are easy to replace? Just unscrew it, oil the mechanism on the inside and screw a replacement into the window? Or is there anything else that I need to be aware / careful of? Is the width between the screw holes standard these days?

They appear to be about £15 in places like B&Q / Homebase but the online stores sell them for about 5 or 6 quid. It is not my house so I just want a replacement that works rather than paying out for the best quality. The current one looks cheap and cheerful.

TIA for any advice / info.

Might be differences in screw holes and offsets of the keyway mechanism- if you have a local screw fix should not be any dearer than ebay, compare it in store then you'll know it will fit - they seem to have quite a range. Easy to replace.

I had this problem some time back. I got some like these from screwfix for under £5, they do have them in other colours and styles. I think they will fit the majority of uPVC window frames. Everything in our house seemed to be non-standard so I was very surprised when I got what seems to be the standard replacement handle and it was the right fit. 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fab-fix-connoisseur-espagnolette-inline-window-handle-40mm-white-window-mounted/4379p

When you get the window open I would have a quick check around the multi-point pins for want of a better word. They might gummed up or not quite aligning with their housings making the handle stiff in the first place.