• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Good Film Wot I Have Just Watched Thread

As title, post any good film wot you have just watched. Ideally overlooked/underrated stuff.

Black Sea - Jude Law, in a submarine, sounds terrible but with sufficient disbelief suspending, with the plot, I quite enjoyed it.

Hell or high water and arrivals are probably the best two I've watched recently. 

There are thousands of films available on Kodi and I scroll through the list thinking no, no, no, no.

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

As title, post any good film wot you have just watched. Ideally overlooked/underrated stuff.

Black Sea - Jude Law, in a submarine, sounds terrible but with sufficient disbelief suspending, with the plot, I quite enjoyed it.

I've not seen it but if there are two things I hate, it's submarine movies and Jude Law.

"The Way" directed by Emilio Estevez and starring him and his dad Martin Sheen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

the premise: strait-laced father goes to France to investigate the death of his slacker son on the Camino de Santiago and decides to continue the pilgrimage in his place, meets up with a motley group of misfits and in the process "discovers himself". Not a great drama but it's inspired me to have a crack at the Camino myself, probably this Summer.

I think my favourites ever are:

Die Welle [The Wave]  - Powerful stuff. When it finished I had that twisted-stomach feeling like I'd just experienced something life-changing. How it only has 7.6 on IMDB is astounding to me.

Intouchables - Funny, heartwarming and just a brilliant (real) story.

Tell No One - I cannot fault this as a film. Same lead actor as the previous one. Supposedly Hollywood weren't interested in Harlan Coben's book, so a French studio took it up instead. I'm so glad this did not get the Hollywood treatment!

3 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Wild Tales.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3011894/

An Argentinian film consisting of six short films.

This film is brilliant! My wife suggested this, and didn't understand why I was laughing so hard. I'd twigged much quicker that this film was going to be totally bonkers.

I will get Wild Tales as have often liked Argentinian films Nine Queens and Secret In Their Eyes are must sees - Think Nine Queens is very rare on region 2 DVD as when I was having a purge of accumulated watched DVDs I put them all on ebay auctions at 99p starts and Nine Queens made nearly £40 - plenty on there at sub £10 at the moment though seemingly so must have been some weird scarcity anomaly at the time.

10 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I think my favourites ever are:

Die Welle [The Wave]  - Powerful stuff. When it finished I had that twisted-stomach feeling like I'd just experienced something life-changing. How it only has 7.6 on IMDB is astounding to me.

Intouchables - Funny, heartwarming and just a brilliant (real) story.

Tell No One - I cannot fault this as a film. Same lead actor as the previous one. Supposedly Hollywood weren't interested in Harlan Coben's book, so a French studio took it up instead. I'm so glad this did not get the Hollywood treatment!

This film is brilliant! My wife suggested this, and didn't understand why I was laughing so hard. I'd twigged much quicker that this film was going to be totally bonkers.

Loved Die Welle.  I don't really touch Hollywood films if I can.  If you want to try a barmy film, try Bad Boy Bubby http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106341/.  An absolutely weirdly fantastic film.

The Millennium series trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo et al.), Headhunters, Reykjavik-Rotterdam, Battle Royale, City of God, Cell 211 are all crackers - off the top of my head.  Come & See is perhaps one of the best war films I've ever seen.  I've had Pans Labyrinth sat on the shelf for years, and I've yet to see it...

Edited by Dave Beans

8 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

"The Way" directed by Emilio Estevez and starring him and his dad Martin Sheen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

the premise: strait-laced father goes to France to investigate the death of his slacker son on the Camino de Santiago and decides to continue the pilgrimage in his place, meets up with a motley group of misfits and in the process "discovers himself". Not a great drama but it's inspired me to have a crack at the Camino myself, probably this Summer.

+1

Great film.  My advice is to:

Pack very light, maximum 10% body weight.

Bring a sleeping bag liner not a sleeping bag.

Blister kit.

Ear plugs.

Tiny LED torch for going for a slash in the middle of the night.

It will change your life.

Buen Camino.

I enjoyed A sense of an ending, based on a Julian Barnes novel. I'd described it as a quiet film, with a beautifully nuanced performance by Jim Broadbent. Can also recommend Hidden Figures - black American women's role in the space race, Arrival, fantastic cinematography and score and Nocturnal Animals - quite disturbing in places. Wild Tales is brilliant, my favourite is the "Duel" story.  Toni Erdmann is a German, yes German comedy - excellent.

Agreed on Interstellar. Had it projected on the living room wall at about 8 ft across. Found myself tearing up at the sheer majesty of some of it.  Even the ending seems perfect to me. Admittedly there's more high concept stuff in books, but so little makes it to the big screen and that makes this rather special IMO. 

Arrival is also excellent as is Hidden Figures. 

True Grit last night. Possibly one of the best Westerns I've seen. 

Watched  a couple of movies on holiday in Budapest last year, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" which as a huge previous fan of Wes Anderson I found very disappointing.

The other was the brilliant, funny and disturbing : "The Lobster":

"In a dystopian near future, single people, according to the laws of The City, are taken to The Hotel, where they are obliged to find a romantic partner in forty-five days or are transformed into beasts and sent off into The Woods."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3464902/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Weird but highly recommended.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

12 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Dead Mans Shoes.

Possibly one of the greatest soundtracks ever, aside from a film that must be in the best 10 British films ever made.

Yeah great film. Love the bit in the cafe at the beginning. What you fuckin looking at.....

5 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Yeah great film. Love the bit in the cafe at the beginning. What you fuckin looking at.....

Great scene. Considine is brilliant in this film, one of the few films I can watch over and over again. The soundtrack is excellent as well, would highly recommend for anyone to pick it up, stand out songs are Vessel in Vain by Smog and Statued by Adem.

Maybe we should have a favorite Youtube song thread?

Edited by Fossildog

Such a great film - who knows how they managed to fuck up the uniform he was wearing at the end. 

Cafe scene is my favourite too.

Should be added to the burd thread as an example of an alpha male. 

On 25/04/2017 at 18:44, Fossildog said:

Dead Mans Shoes.

Possibly one of the greatest soundtracks ever, aside from a film that must be in the best 10 British films ever made.

Just watched that based on your glowing recommendation.

I might possibly debate it being in the top-ten British films of all-time - but nevertheless, a canny film that made me think.

Nice one Napoleon...

XYY