Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Good Film Wot I Have Just Watched Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Documentary called High Score, just started on Netflix. Very good. All about computer games design and playing late 70s to modern day. Dosbods will love it.

V for Vendetta. "You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you are beneath it". A quote from Stephen Fry's character in V for Vendetta, as he shows Evey Hammond (the delectable Natalie Por

Probably have 20 films that I love with the odd one or two going out of flavour once in a while, maybe because I watched it/them too much. But my all time favourite and the one that stood the test of

Posted Images

On 04/10/2020 at 20:18, The XYY Man said:

I'm not sure how long it is - around 40 minutes I would guess - but in my opinion the first half of "Full Metal Jacket" before they go to Vietnam is among the finest things ever caught on celluloid.

I have watched the whole film several times. But now whenever I grab the disc to watch it, I turn it off as soon as Sgt Hartman gets killed - as that is when the brilliance turns into the more mundane.

I'd give my left bollock to watch a film that could keep that standard up for three hours or so...

 

XYY

But then you miss this part...

😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

V for Vendetta.

"You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you are beneath it".

A quote from Stephen Fry's character in V for Vendetta, as he shows Evey Hammond (the delectable Natalie Portman) around his hidden collection of atrefacts, outlawed by the totalatarian ruling UK party, Norsefire. They arise to power after the sinister release of the St Marys virus that would kill many.

I have watched this many times over the years. The virus aspect of the screeplay, always a minor part in the past, has a more contemporary feel. Times have changed.

Alan Moore is the author of the original comic story. An acquired taste, you either think them for kids, usually after never reading them, or appreciate the fusion of art and narrative. As nearly always, the book beats the movie.

The screenplay was by the Wachowski brothers. Now trans women appparently and the brothers have gone. They hit their peak with the matrix series and faded.

Its worth a rewatch or a first watch and its totalitarian themes, with added virus factor, make it ever relevant. 

To add it is based around the last good man in parliment, Guy Fawkes. Its close to the 5th afterall.

Watched on Blu Ray.

Edited by The Grey Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Grey Man said:

V for Vendetta.

"You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you are beneath it".

A quote from Stephen Fry's character in V for Vendetta, as he shows Evey Hammond (the delectable Natalie Portman) around his hidden collection of atrefacts, outlawed by the totalatarian ruling UK party, Norsefire. They arise to power after the sinister release of the St Marys virus that would kill many.

I have watched this many times over the years. The virus aspect of the screeplay, always a minor part in the past, has a more contemporary feel. Times have changed.

Alan Moore is the author of the original comic story. An acquired taste, you either think them for kids, usually after never reading them, or appreciate the fusion of art and narrative. As nearly always, the book beats the movie.

The screenplay was by the Wachowski brothers. Now trans women appparently and the brothers have gone. They hit their peak with the matrix series and faded.

Its worth a rewatch or a first watch and its totalitarian themes, with added virus factor, make it ever relevant. 

To add it is based around the last good man in parliment, Guy Fawkes. Its close to the 5th afterall.

Watched on Blu Ray.

 

59 minutes ago, jm51 said:

V for Vendetta and Children of Men both had civil war in the USA as part of their storyline.

‘V got Vendetta’...... never heard of it but sounds interesting. 

Might give it a go one day.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

V for Vendetta was really good book too.  A few of Alan Moore's books I read when I went through a mini comic phase a few years ago.

Wasn't as into the Watchmen but the film likewise I thought was a pretty good adaption.   Moore thought differently though it's maybe the tag he takes to anything Hollywood. 

He's a strange one, Moore.  Even more off topic my favourite read was maybe the volume of swamp thing he did.  Don't think a movie yet although TV show that got cancelled after a season.  No doubt he did voodoo on them too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogtania said:

V for Vendetta was really good book too.  A few of Alan Moore's books I read when I went through a mini comic phase a few years ago.

Wasn't as into the Watchmen but the film likewise I thought was a pretty good adaption.   Moore thought differently though it's maybe the tag he takes to anything Hollywood. 

He's a strange one, Moore.  Even more off topic my favourite read was maybe the volume of swamp thing he did.  Don't think a movie yet although TV show that got cancelled after a season.  No doubt he did voodoo on them too.

 

Just had a look at the trailer:

That lead character looks familiar... I’m sure I’ve seen him somewhere before.... 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Peanut Butter Falcon on Netflix was a pleasant film about a friendship between a lad with Down's syndrome who escapes an institution and a loser/crim. Lot's of bluegrass tunes and a road trip, a bit like O Brother, Where Art Thou?

One IMDB reveiwer complained about the white man saviour plot, so it must be pressing the right buttons!

Edited by Nippy
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nippy said:

The Peanut Butter Falcon on Netflix was a pleasant film about a friendship between a lad with Down's syndrome who escapes an institution and a loser/crim. Lot's of bluegrass tunes and a road trip, a bit like O Brother, Where Art Thou?

One IMDB reveiwer complained about the white man saviour plot, so it must be pressing the right buttons!

I watched that - it was a pleasant enough family movie for the wife and 2 kids as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

He's everywhere now since compulsory masks... A bit like me!

Remember seeing him a bit when appropriated by the meme internet "uprising" against Scientology a few years ago.

Found it quite funny looking at the protests if you can call it that against the sci fi mid level marketing religion.  Reason back then being they apparantly complile dossiers of those that take aim against the religion.  So to keep safe everyone went anon.

To segue back on topic Philip Seymour Hoffman played a character that was I think the founder of that weird religion, l Ron Hubbard in The Master.  

Need to maybe revisit that film again can't remember if I got into very much when I saw on download.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Remember seeing him a bit when appropriated by the meme internet "uprising" against Scientology a few years ago.

Found it quite funny looking at the protests if you can call it that against the sci fi mid level marketing religion.  Reason back then being they apparantly complile dossiers of those that take aim against the religion.  So to keep safe everyone went anon.

To segue back on topic Philip Seymour Hoffman played a character that was I think the founder of that weird religion, l Ron Hubbard in The Master.  

Need to maybe revisit that film again can't remember if I got into very much when I saw on download.

 

I remember watching that ..... dark and deep. PSM unbelievable acting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

My wife and I will watch the second Borat film on Amazon this evening. Will report back if it's worth watching. 

I was hopeful, but only lasted 10 minutes before turning it off. Did it get any better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vendetta said:

 

‘V got Vendetta’...... never heard of it but sounds interesting. 

Might give it a go one day.....

It’s good I’ve just finished watching the queens gambit on Netflix and enjoyed it .it reminded me of the time a friend from the tarantula world invited me to play him at chess I’m siting there looking at pictures on his walls thinking that’s a famous chess player and I’m sat oposite the guy playing him .my friend is Carl Portman currently winding the board of governors up in all uk prisons by geting chess into prisons .ive never seen anything like him and he says he is an avarage player loved playing him 4/5 times mind

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched American Pie last night. I have seen it before about 20 years ago. Though now I am 20 years older and have a teenage son of my own, my perspective has shifted somewhat. I found myself empathising with “Jim’s Dad” a little too much for my liking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It’s good I’ve just finished watching the queens gambit on Netflix and enjoyed it .it reminded me of the time a friend from the tarantula world invited me to play him at chess I’m siting there looking at pictures on his walls thinking that’s a famous chess player and I’m sat oposite the guy playing him .

We have watched part one tonight. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...