• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

The Pursuit of Physical Perfection and Good Health

I gave up Alcohol two years ago and never lost any weight.

About 5 months ago I gave up bread and started to look into my diet I have upped my protein intake and lowered my carbs,I also started lifting weights for 3-4 hours a week and I have went down from 105kg to 94kg in 5 months,hopefully I can get down to around 85kg by the end of the year.

I can't be bothered with cardio I much prefer lifting weights.

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

...for us to talk about diets and weightlifting and all that shite. Can I say shite on this new board?

You can say anything you like Joe.

It's fucking marvellous...

XYY

Been out of weightlifting since about 2011 due to niggling shoulder impingement issues with certain lifts, after a good conversation on "the other forum" this week i have looked more into scapula retraction and recommend this video:

I think i may give it another shot using these tips

I've pretty much given up alcohol since the end of Jan. I've finally reached an age where my body and head have decided I'm better off without it, which I'm finding great, to be honest - the odd occasion where I have a glass of wine or a scotch I sleep badly and feel off my game the following day, so the longer it goes on the less I want to drink anyway.

I'm finding it's having brilliant effects on my training - I get better results with much less effort.

6 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I've pretty much given up alcohol since the end of Jan. I've finally reached an age where my body and head have decided I'm better off without it, which I'm finding great, to be honest - the odd occasion where I have a glass of wine or a scotch I sleep badly and feel off my game the following day, so the longer it goes on the less I want to drink anyway.

I'm finding it's having brilliant effects on my training - I get better results with much less effort.

I gave up alcohol a couple of years ago after losing my driving licence which really focused my mind and turned out to be a blessing, I was getting really bad heartburn and the hangovers were getting worse anyway as I was getting older, I also had a blood test showed that enzymes in my Liver were elevated.

I feel much better since I quit but I do still miss going to the Pub from time to time especially at Christmas.

1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

I gave up alcohol a couple of years ago after losing my driving licence which really focused my mind and turned out to be a blessing, I was getting really bad heartburn and the hangovers were getting worse anyway as I was getting older, I also had a blood test showed that enzymes in my Liver were elevated.

I feel much better since I quit but I do still miss going to the Pub from time to time especially at Christmas.

Nobody wants to be in a Pub at Christmas. It's full of arseholes!

23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Nobody wants to be in a Pub at Christmas. It's full of arseholes!

Its more the feeling that you are missing out.

But when I wake up and I feel fine, I am glad that I never bothered having a drink.

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

Its more the feeling that you are missing out.

But when I wake up and I feel fine, I am glad that I never bothered having a drink.

Yes it's even worse when you have find you have invited the arseholes home. There's a broken stereo, smashed bottles on the floor and baked beans on the wall. Well this was Newcastle, not Surrey!

Been off the sauce for about a month, mostly because of the hangovers although also started becoming an exercise in futility when trying to pull. Did put weight on, less than a stone but seems as you get older you carry it worse. Managed to stop the weight gain anyway and my diet has been spot on, home made vegetable soups, olives, nuts, fruit, plain yogurt, wholemeal bread (got it down to 2 slices a day), berries and oats. Don't eat meat at home anymore although will still have it when out that's my rule. Really need to get back in the gym though, been out for the best part of 6 months. Had my head down working on a new business, should be over the worst of it in a week I reckon so will have more time on my hands.

I've changed my training program now we're into spring so that each exercise in a session consists of a couple of heavy sets, followed by one or two pumping sets. It helps you to keep your strength up whilst keeping reasonable size and also burning fat. I don't think it does any of those three things as well as if you went all heavy or all light, but it's a decent compromise for me as I go into summer, as I don't want to keep eating and strength training, but also don't want to go all pansy pump and lose strength.

I did my first HIIT session of the year this morning. Holy shit, I thought I was going to die. I think my neighbours did, too.

I drink too much and don't have a very good diet, however I do go to the gym 3 times a week and hit it quite hard.

I look and feel alright most of the time, apart from my beer belly! Doubt I will ever have a six pack.

In the summer months will add some swimming and tennis into the mix.

My diet is good but I'm pretty sure its the alcohol that's stopped me from getting where I really want to be in the past. I don't generally carry a lot of fat, only a little over the lower abs, so after 3 months of hardly drinking at all I'm hoping I may shift the fat more quickly and comprehensively this year. If I don't, well I'm quite happy anyway, and I feel so much better for not drinking that I won't be rushing back to it regardless of how I do.

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

How will that affect my ulnar nerve problem?

Nobody can really tell you that because it depends on so many factors. If you're doing it with perfect form then nearly all the work is done by the back muscles and your arms do very little. But very few people do pull ups with perfect form, and even those people who do will lose their form as they begin to tire.

Best bet is to give it a whirl and see, maybe stand on a bench for a few reps so you're not putting your full weight into it. As HTT says above you can use over or underhand grip or my personal favourite is a narrow sideways grip - whichever you use will obviously hit different muscles either more or less.

Generally I think if you're sensible you can weight train around most issues and injuries as there are so many different exercises and variations. I've just spent the last two years working around a frozen shoulder which is now fixed - a good trainer is invaluable to help you work within your own restrictions but still push your limits.

Been a few years since I went to the gym. I just can't be arsed really.

I want to feel good like I did then but it's a lot of time and effort to invest, and it needs to be kept up.

I did try a low carb diet a while back and was really impressed with the results from that. Had so much more energy, no post-lunch slump, slept better, and best of all my belly started shrinking. It was difficult to follow though as so much of the UK diet revolves around carby meals, and it does get quite expensive eating proper food...

Maybe :D this thread will motivate me to start exercising again.

Great workout today. I feel myself getting stronger. Still look like a skinny gimp but that will change in time. Massive mood boost from a good weightlifting session.

Obviously I'd like to 'get ripped' and have great aesthetics but I'm holding off on that for the time being - once I'm actually strong I can worry about things like vanity.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Great workout today. I feel myself getting stronger. Still look like a skinny gimp but that will change in time. Massive mood boost from a good weightlifting session.

Obviously I'd like to 'get ripped' and have great aesthetics but I'm holding off on that for the time being - once I'm actually strong I can worry about things like vanity.

That's a great attitude to take to it Joe! I don't think anyone is ever 100% happy with the way they look no matter how well they do. So if you can get your motivation from all the other benefits, you're much less likely to lose heart and give up.

But take photos of yourself anyway. In a years time when you're having a bad day you can compare the now and then and you'll see just how far you've come.

1 minute ago, Fully Detached said:

That's a great attitude to take to it Joe! I don't think anyone is ever 100% happy with the way they look no matter how well they do. So if you can get your motivation from all the other benefits, you're much less likely to lose heart and give up.

But take photos of yourself anyway. In a years time when you're having a bad day you can compare the now and then and you'll see just how far you've come.

Exactly - even if I never look much different, the mood boost, health benefits, and sense of achievement in getting stronger are worth it.

I'll snap a photo later - you're right it would be interesting to do a comparison one year from now.