• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko2010

Films to cheer you up

Am I the only one who finds "happy" films to be utterly fucking depressing? Most of the characters in them are idiotic, unrealistic and false.  Maybe it's just a quirk of my personality but I tend to find escapist movies to be the best, or historical ones so that I appreciate my lot, what others went through so I don't have to, etc.

Anyway, what films do you recommend for brightening your mood? Here are my 3; I appreciate it may sound a bit odd, but I can't be the only one surely?

1. LOTR trilogy
  2. Schindler's List
  3. Inglorious Basterds

--

If it's December then add Home Alone 1 to the list.

Withnal & I - never fails to raise a smile. 
Armageddon - cheesy fun

Not sure what my third would be, but it would definitely be Inglorious basterds for the missus. She loves films where Nazis get killed in creative and nasty ways. 

Sexy Beast - brilliant dialogue/acting. Never get tired of watching that film. For an 'aggressive' film, it sure is funny. 

Analyze This - just a funny film. 

I find The Lord of the Rings rather melancholic so whilst I enjoy the films they aren't uplifting for me.

In no particular order "The Lost Boys" ridiculous, tongue in cheek and love the soundtrack. "Life of Brian" don't see how anyone can fail to be cheered by the crucifixion scene and finally "Hot Fuzz" weirdly reminds me of where I live.

2 hours ago, Dipsy said:

I find The Lord of the Rings rather melancholic so whilst I enjoy the films they aren't uplifting for me.

In no particular order "The Lost Boys" ridiculous, tongue in cheek and love the soundtrack. "Life of Brian" don't see how anyone can fail to be cheered by the crucifixion scene and finally "Hot Fuzz" weirdly reminds me of where I live.

Lord of the Rings - pure escapism. Brilliant. First one was the best. One of the highlights of christmas was going to see the next LOTR film. First Hobbit was good, the rest crap.

10 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I saw an advert last night for some new film about a dog that keeps being reincarnated as a dog and tells all the exciting stories of its various lives with different owners...

I will give it a miss.

Ah yes, the Katie Price life story.

Not really my thing either.

On 4/25/2017 at 08:10, Tabasco Kid said:

Sexy Beast - brilliant dialogue/acting. Never get tired of watching that film. For an 'aggressive' film, it sure is funny. 

Analyze This - just a funny film. 

+1 for Sexy Beast. Was a late convert, missed it when it came out but people kept quoting it so watched it to see what the fuss was. Brilliant.

. Shawshank is good cheesy repeatable feelgood stuff.

On 25/04/2017 at 00:00, SCC said:

Another one for Withnail & I; there are so many chimes with my student days.  Being that skint and cold is bloody miserable but when you've been there and had the occasional burst of fun then you can emphasise.  My equivalent of the week in the Lake District was a long weekend skiing (uselessly) in Aviemore done incredibly cheaply because British Rail had some mad travel offer on where you could go anywhere in the country that bank holiday weekend for twenty quid, somebody sggested skiing in Scotland and off we all went.  Totally unprepared for it.

The Wild Geese: even if you're over sixty like Richards Burton and Harris, and Roger Moore you can raise a mercenary army and attempt a rescue mission on a week's training in the sun, and the good guys sort of win in the end

Carry on Behind (not the usual scriptwriter, but Dave Freeman who made it much better and a real stand out from the usual groans you get from the obvious smutty gags, and no bloody Sid James who ruins most of them for me)

On 04/25/2017 at 00:00, SCC said:

Armageddon - cheesy fun

Not sure what my third would be, but it would definitely be Inglorious basterds for the missus. She loves films where Nazis get killed in creative and nasty ways. 

Another rep for withnail and I , definitely echoes student days. And full on respect for the method acting of actually drinking lighter fluid.

On 28/04/2017 at 18:19, SNACR said:

Never really seen the excitement with Withnail & I TBH.

I never saw anything funny at all in the forty minutes I lasted before turning-off the video.

Biggest pile of wank I've ever seen...

XYY

On 28/04/2017 at 18:19, SNACR said:

Never really seen the excitement with Withnail & I TBH.

Rep taken away :D

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I never saw anything funny at all in the forty minutes I lasted before turning-off the video.

Biggest pile of wank I've ever seen...

XYY

dislike

10 hours ago, Rave said:

Dazed And Confused

Police Story

The Little Mermaid

Yeah I like a lot of the rites of passage type films like Dazed and Confused. I also like things like Adventureland, Superbad and Stand By Me - although that's a bit of a downer ending.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

No, I think Withnail is excellent. All quotable.

You're not going to are you?