DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

New lows for an overcrowded nation

onlyme

Government obviously has no intention of stopping this happen, this has been going on for years, a landlord holed out abroad and a scumbag letting agent who "could?" face prosecution.  Wonder what the real population of the country is and the carrying cost in terms of services is.

Forty people found living in squalid three-bedroom house with ONE toilet and 17 back-to-back mattresses covering floor

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/forty-people-found-living-squalid-10290080

A letting agent, based in Harrow, could now face prosecution after the home was searched on suspicion of overcrowding and being let without a HMO (House of Multiple Occupancy) licence.

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

I did imagine it, not quite on the same scale and moved.

I experienced it in a smaller way (a dozen upstairs from me in a 1 BR flat). They were OK actually, but our flat had every kind of infestation you could imagine (bed bugs, mice..) so we were out of there after six months. 

Edited by SCC

I don't understand why people choose to live like this. I'd rather live back in Romania and earn 1/10th of what I earn here but at least I'd have my own bedroom.

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't understand why people choose to live like this. I'd rather live back in Romania and earn 1/10th of what I earn here but at least I'd have my own bedroom.

It's not seen as a permanent arrangement. Time was you could spend a few years working hard and living in horrible conditions - and then go back and buy a place outright. Not sure if the economics still works, but even if it doesn't I imagine plenty still have a dream of doing that.  Others, of course, will get stuck and/or decide to settle down here. 

Just now, SCC said:

It's not seen as a permanent arrangement. Time was you could spend a few years working hard and living in horrible conditions - and then go back and buy a place outright. Not sure if the economics still works, but even if it doesn't I imagine plenty still have a dream of doing that.  Others, of course, will get stuck and/or decide to settle down here. 

Those days are over for most of East Europe I heard. I had some Lithuanians working at mine, a lot of their old colleagues have gone back as it's not worth it any more as their own currencies are rising.

I'd like to know how the gimmegrants at the car washes make a living. I can't see an average car wash doing more than 5 washes an hour (avg), at £5 per clean that's not enough to pay a minimum wage for 4x people...

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Those days are over for most of East Europe I heard. I had some Lithuanians working at mine, a lot of their old colleagues have gone back as it's not worth it any more as their own currencies are rising.

I'd like to know how the gimmegrants at the car washes make a living. I can't see an average car wash doing more than 5 washes an hour (avg), at £5 per clean that's not enough to pay a minimum wage for 4x people...

Unpaid tax, rates, water, power, staff sleeping on mattresses on site from the one example I've been enlightened about.

Just now, onlyme said:

Unpaid tax, rates, water, power, staff sleeping on mattresses on site from the one example I've been enlightened about.

I remember a C4 documentary where one of them was sleeping under a bridge i.e. essentially homeless, but I thought that was just an extreme case they highlighted for TV.

It's for this reason that I wouldn't buy high-density housing (i.e. terrace/flat) in any inner city - and actually pretty much anywhere any more - certain areas of Belfast have had this happen all of a sudden - over the period of a few years a whole street that was previously residential working class folk is owned by builders HMO-ed and has tons of gimmegrants crammed into each house.

8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's for this reason that I wouldn't buy high-density housing (i.e. terrace/flat) in any inner city - and actually pretty much anywhere any more - certain areas of Belfast have had this happen all of a sudden - over the period of a few years a whole street that was previously residential working class folk is owned by builders HMO-ed and has tons of gimmegrants crammed into each house.

Yes, will be deeply unwanted by OO's. In contrast a 2/3 bed bungalow in a largely residential area could be one of the safest bets - especially if you can do work and improve yourself (retirees generally don't wan to do loads of work on a a place but will pay and can pay top dollar for a place in good order from resale of previous property) and they will be in high demand for the foreseeable future, well our lifetimes anyway.

35 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yep, I saw a relatively down at heel street I lived on turn into a complete crap hole after the balance between rented and OO shifted.  Impossible to get to sleep sometimes due to yelling and screaming matches in the street. 

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Money laundering.

11 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Money laundering.

The gangmaster at my local one turns up occasionally, looks like a typical Bulgarian gangster - thick gold chain, belly hanging out, flash Audi etc.

I reported another one a few years ago as there was a girl of about, I kid you not, 10 cleaning the cars. Doubt anything came of it. It annoys me that Border Force turn such a blind eye to these operations, at least half the staff are illegals surely.

One percent
16 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

The gangmaster at my local one turns up occasionally, looks like a typical Bulgarian gangster - thick gold chain, belly hanging out, flash Audi etc.

I reported another one a few years ago as there was a girl of about, I kid you not, 10 cleaning the cars. Doubt anything came of it. It annoys me that Border Force turn such a blind eye to these operations, at least half the staff are illegals surely.

How else are the middle class going to get their cars cleaned for a fiver.  On principle, don't use these places plus, I'm too tight to even spend 20 quid when I can do it myself in 20 minutes

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

How else are the middle class going to get their cars cleaned for a fiver.  On principle, don't use these places plus, I'm too tight to even spend 20 quid when I can do it myself in 20 minutes

I sometimes use them in winter when it's too bloody cold to clean my car. The whole time I'm there I feel a mix of unease, guilt and shame  :ph34r:

One percent
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I sometimes use them in winter when it's too bloody cold to clean my car. The whole time I'm there I feel a mix of unease, guilt and shame  :ph34r:

I must admit (stepping off my high horse for a moment) that on occasion I have used them. Like you, it doesn't feel the right thing to do though. 

Frank Hovis
2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

I must admit (stepping off my high horse for a moment) that on occasion I have used them. Like you, it doesn't feel the right thing to do though. 

I use the automated drag-through ones for £10 as they also do something about the underside and the waxing means that for a couple of weeks I don't need to use my wipers if I'm going over 50mph as the rain beads. I have the view that if it's not getting some of the muck off underneath then it's just cosmetic.

I have lain on my drive with a pressure washer hosing the underside until the water runs clean.  Which is why I pay the £10!

This is a couple of times a year at the point when people become unsure of the original colour of my car.

One percent
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I use the automated drag-through ones for £10 as they also do something about the underside and the waxing means that for a couple of weeks I don't need to use my wipers if I'm going over 50mph as the rain beads. I have the view that if it's not getting some of the muck off underneath then it's just cosmetic.

I have lain on my drive with a pressure washer hosing the underside until the water runs clean.  Which is why I pay the £10!

This is a couple of times a year at the point when people become unsure of the original colour of my car.

Just get a brown car frank and the mud will never show.  

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Just get a brown car frank and the mud will never show.  

I don't think the police like a brown on brown number plate though!

Silver was my best for not showing the dirt; black and white are the worst.  I have a black car which, to my mind, is the most stunning colour for a car when sparkly clean.  With my lengthy commute this means my car looks absolutely stunning for about two weeks of the year. 

One percent
46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think the police like a brown on brown number plate though!

Silver was my best for not showing the dirt; black and white are the worst.  I have a black car which, to my mind, is the most stunning colour for a car when sparkly clean.  With my lengthy commute this means my car looks absolutely stunning for about two weeks of the year. 

I was warned off a black car by my mechanic years ago for that very reason.  Looks fantastic for about 2 minutes after washing. Silver is very good along with any light colour. The darker the worse. 

My brown pickup looks dirty after 10 minutes too.

Only car I've had that didn't look too bad was white - but this was because I wiped it down after almost each use. xD