DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ether....Would you?

Wahoo

I've opened an account at KRAKEN  and upgraded to convert cash into coins.

I'm hovering over Ethers. The markets don't seem to fussed about hard-forks.

Might stick a grand in today......anyone else dipped their toe?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I'm steering clear of crypto currencies simply because I don't understand the nuances of it all. 

I'll probably regret it :)

I did buy a small amount (£100 worth) of bitcoin a few years back as insurance just in case it all blows up.

Green Devil

I have a 5000 gift to invest for my kid, just go his annual  Interest statement, 79p. 

Should I stick it all in bitcoin?

Have 12 years. Will he love me or hate me for it?

Chewing Grass
7 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I have a 5000 gift to invest for my kid, just go his annual  Interest statement, 79p. 

Should I stick it all in bitcoin?

Have 12 years. Will he love me or hate me for it?

Buy them gold coins, something tangible and shiny, if you buy different ones and throw some silver in as well it becomes a collection.

Collections are collected by collectors and collectors pay daft money just to own certain things in collections therefore the coins become antiques and antiques/collectables make good investments and these are also backed up by their scrap value if they are not collectable.

Also stimulates an interest in history and the past so it is educational.

Make sense.

Green Devil

But gold is manipulated so will never the same impact as a bitcoin. I have a feeling the money is going to desert the banking system. Maybe it will go to bitcoin. Maybe not? Its a binary bet 5000, it might be worth 500k in 10 years. Might buy a 1 bed flat in tower hamlets with that.

Green Devil

As it happens the cash is in the lads account and cannot be taken out apart from a cheque in juniors name. Who has no bank account.. So it appears  bit coin punt is off. Going to open a junior isa at Hargreaves landown. At least then I can stick it in some shares.

Inoperational Bumblebee

So how does one go about buying and storing Ethereum? Same as Bitcoin? One of the new Ledger wallets appears to be able to handle Ethereum, so where do I buy some?

On 5/1/2017 at 11:19, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

So how does one go about buying and storing Ethereum? Same as Bitcoin? One of the new Ledger wallets appears to be able to handle Ethereum, so where do I buy some?

This appears to be a good safe wallet:

myetherwallet

Very easy to understand and safe.

Once you've mastered the wallet, start by transferring a single ether.  

To purchase coins I suggest Kraken or a similar exchange...however you can buy simply from a UK dealer like Cryptocoin...but you'll pay more. 

Inoperational Bumblebee

Thank you. I've got to say I really like the interface and trading facilities at Kraken! Better than Coinfloor IMO.

Sorry, posted this earlier in the wrong thread :ph34r: What's the consensus here on using wallets / storage? I've got a bit of moolah in Coinbase but they've got such dire reviews I'm thinking this isn't ideal.

Green Devil

I took a look at coinbase for buying bit coin and they charge 4% fees, Ie 100 quids worth costs me £3.99!

I thought the point of buying bitcoin is that the fees were supposed to be low!

• 2 weeks later...

ETH has gone up from 65 dollars to 105 dollars since this thread was opened. 

Looks like another btc bubble that I noticed too late.  Did invest a bit though. 

Green Devil

yes, eth, dash, btc and looking to add ripple and litecoin

bought eth at 78, its off now, trying to add xrip on the next dip

eth.png

xrp.png

Green Devil

Im using kraken, nice interface and lots of pairs. I have taken out the coins i bought, there is a charge buts its tiny. If you have HSBC the funding transter fee is 4.00, natwest and most other places are £20. There is also now a ripple pair (just opened)

Green Devil

litcoin want to buy 18-20 area, i have a had buy order at 20 but it missed by a few ticks, but i may get another chance

ltc.png

Green Devil

Well i got filled on the XRP at 24C euro, go figure, market didnt even get there lowest was 28C, hey ho, cant complain, just the lite coin to go now, 

Edit -  ah it did, spike down, coulda got 21C!

zrp.png

@Green Devil I'm not convinced on XRP personally. It sounds very easy for banks to do internally without paying a third party. Plus the creator proclaims it's open and public, but banks tend to not like that.

I've gone in on Minereum (MNE) a few days ago, it's dropped today but is recovering. I'm in it for the medium to long term as the concept sounds really interesting, and hasn't even hit the main exchanges yet.  http://www.minereum.com

This does feel very similar to being on the internet back in 1998, definitely a new frontier.

Would be interested in hearing why you invested in LTC as well. I can't get excited over it.

Archived