• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Wildlife spotting - spring watch

I had a young buzzard in my chicken run on Sunday. It's still got netting over the top of it after the avian flu outbreak in the winter, and the little bugger flew in through the open gate and promptly got himself stuck in there. By the time I got in to try to shoo him out he was dangling upside down from the netting, making me think I was either going to get ripped to pieces trying to free him, or end up having to put him out of his misery. As I approached him he just dropped out of the netting, turned the right way up and shot straight out of the gate like it had never been a problem in the first place.

Beautiful, beautiful birds. Not an enjoyable experience, but lovely that their numbers have increased so much - I see some pretty much every time I go out for a walk these days.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

Seen a red kite on Friday the first one i have seen in a S/E Wales coastal area (Southern Down ) mind you it was getting some shit from a pair of ravens

My mum lives near a quarry in Wales and she seems them every day pretty much. Very impressive birds.

(She swears one of them tried to grab her cat once, not sure myself)

32 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Badgers and pheasants are the most common roadkill I see this time of year. See roughly one squashed badger every 50 miles, they stink quite bad after a while as they tend to be avoided as carrion for some reason so are not picked clean.

Seconded - there was a dead one by the side of a quiet lane I cycle a couple of years ago in the summer. Took about 6-7 weeks t completely decompose, during which time the smell was horrendous. I couldn't stop breathing as I passed it either as the road was uphill and got me breathing hard :Sick1: 

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

My mum lives near a quarry in Wales and she seems them every day pretty much. Very impressive birds.

These (a few gimmegrants, only in Yorkshire for now, 6ft wingspan) will eat cats. Therefore they have my approval and I wish they would spread throughout the land.:P

Eagle_Owl_in_flight_1.jpg

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Nah they would not try it on with a cat ,they might try intimidating it but on the whole they are not real hunters they feed on carrion the same as buzzards ,but they will kill if the opportunity arises,but they have not got the tools for the job (tiny feet/talons ) to do it for a living

Now the sparrow hawk you posted a pick of the other day now that`s a killing machine crazy little fuckers