DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Is the UK really overcrowded?

swiss_democracy_for_all

Is the UK really overcrowded?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One percent
21 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Jesus - they're cheaper than the Peterlee area.

Full-on crash in the North East - and it can only get better as voids and the new tax regime will force those dumb private landlords to crash and burn.

Bring it on...!

XYY

You want cheaper, go slightly inland 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=USERDEFINEDAREA^{"polylines"%3A"wcblIl`yDoNgxB|_%40}gAny%40cqDnj%40}nDdp%40bhBqj%40`wG{s%40jiCegAtW"}&index=192&includeSSTC=true

One percent
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Great stuff - but the daily drive to work in Peterlee says no.

All those types of properties featured are also available in my locale at similar prices - but it looks like you get three bedrooms for your money in that area - whereas it's only two round here at the same price.

The main market force driving them down around here seems to be pensioners dying - and the family selling them cheap for a quick sale.

The ones with the 70s sideboard, horrible multi-coloured carpets, God-awful wall-coverings, and lots of varnished skirting boards are setting the low-tide mark - and it gets lower every month.

Their parents only paid a few grand for them - so they still make a profit on paper - and the debt-ridden kids just want some cash to spunk on i-phones and coffee-machines as soon as possible.

In the five years that I have lived here, asking prices via Estate Agents for houses in my street have dropped from £55,000+ to the new low of £39,950. Those sold at auction have made the true low-water mark below £29,950. I absolutely guarantee that it will go South of 20 grand within two years.

I love the North East me...

XYY

I would keep it quiet - the next thing you know the government will be filling all those houses with enrichers displaced from the London tower blocks 

8 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

For less than thirty grand.

Something like this...

http://www.kimmittandroberts.com/property-for-sale/peterlee-horden/sr8-4jh/1770248

XYY

Holy crap, that's cheap!

It's about £100-120k for a doer upper house of a similar style in my home city of Norwich.

Perhaps I need to relocate to the North East - if I could find work. o.O

swiss_democracy_for_all
10 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Holy crap, that's cheap!

It's about £100-120k for a doer upper house of a similar style in my home city of Norwich.

Perhaps I need to relocate to the North East - if I could find work. o.O

It's cold(pretty much all the time), dark, rough as a badger's arse, and a hostile environment in general for those with an accent from the south. There's little work. I think Spygirl has said it's infested with the dregs of Europe now too, this wasn't the case when I was up there in early 90s. Petty crime, car theft and burglary was rife then, not sure about now.

However if you can get reasonably paid stable work and have a sound relationship and some other good friends around though, like XYY, the cheaper property would definitely give you a higher quality of life than in much of the U.K.

Bit surprised none of the towns up there have gone  "Bradford" yet, the NE seems to have resisted that kind of enrichment.

• Agree 1

One percent
25 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

It's cold(pretty much all the time), dark, rough as a badger's arse, and a hostile environment in general for those with an accent from the south. There's little work. I think Spygirl has said it's infested with the dregs of Europe now too, this wasn't the case when I was up there in early 90s. Petty crime, car theft and burglary was rife then, not sure about now.

However if you can get reasonably paid stable work and have a sound relationship and some other good friends around though, like XYY, the cheaper property would definitely give you a higher quality of life than in much of the U.K.

Bit surprised none of the towns up there have gone  "Bradford" yet, the NE seems to have resisted that kind of enrichment.

Middlesbrough has. Big time.