DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Is the UK really overcrowded?

swiss_democracy_for_all

Is the UK really overcrowded?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Ride round on my bike and see some unbelievable stuff dumped, I run on the assumption it's prinicipally because Local Authourities won't let anything that resembles a van take stuff to the tip. Sorry, mafia run recycling centre.

The big business round here that also pisses me off is scrotes renting an old or rundown warehouse, filling it with bales of plastic and cardboard and then torching the place. This is officially classed as recycling and money can be made in oodles from the practice unless you own the burn't out shell of a building or end up having to clear it when the fucker disappears or gets locked up. This lot below is probably too wet to burn!

not_recycling.jpg.ff80aa1dacec7fa7eec50c86d134dbc5.jpg

75000 tons of 'recycling' that will cost the negligent 'landlord' £10 million to clear, been there that long trees are growing out of it, so this lot is landfill.

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/news/15196519.Company_director_jailed_after_illegally_dumping_75_000_tonnes_of_waste___leaving_landowner_with___10m_bill/?ref=mr&lp=5

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boss-firm-behind-two-giant-12823776

Lovely. Much like Naples or Sicily then. 

4 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Ride round on my bike and see some unbelievable stuff dumped, I run on the assumption it's prinicipally because Local Authourities won't let anything that resembles a van take stuff to the tip. Sorry, mafia run recycling centre.

The big business round here that also pisses me off is scrotes renting an old or rundown warehouse, filling it with bales of plastic and cardboard and then torching the place. This is officially classed as recycling and money can be made in oodles from the practice unless you own the burn't out shell of a building or end up having to clear it when the fucker disappears or gets locked up. This lot below is probably too wet to burn!

not_recycling.jpg.ff80aa1dacec7fa7eec50c86d134dbc5.jpg

75000 tons of 'recycling' that will cost the negligent 'landlord' £10 million to clear, been there that long trees are growing out of it, so this lot is landfill.

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/news/15196519.Company_director_jailed_after_illegally_dumping_75_000_tonnes_of_waste___leaving_landowner_with___10m_bill/?ref=mr&lp=5

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/boss-firm-behind-two-giant-12823776

Interesting. How do they make money out of it? Insurance job?

Caravan Monster
12 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Interesting. How do they make money out of it? Insurance job?

Don't know about plastic waste, but with used tyres they take the money upfront. Rent warehouse, charge tyre fitters to collect and dispose of tyres then disappear leaving warehouse full of tyres. Anecdotally heard of this happening at Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome a few years back, leaving an aircraft hangar packed to the roof with used tyres. I would imagine there is a temptation for the landlord to torch the warehouse to get themselves out of trouble.

6 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Don't know about plastic waste, but with used tyres they take the money upfront. Rent warehouse, charge tyre fitters to collect and dispose of tyres then disappear leaving warehouse full of tyres. Anecdotally heard of this happening at Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome a few years back, leaving an aircraft hangar packed to the roof with used tyres. I would imagine there is a temptation for the landlord to torch the warehouse to get themselves out of trouble.

Interesting. There's a mattress mountain near me where they did something similar. Council eventually took him to court and fined him about 5 grand.

8 hours ago, THE MAJOR said:

Yes, the UK is really overcrowded.

You are not rich enough then! A rich Major does not need to see his neighbour's shed!

Bkkandrew

It's the old law of unintended consequences again. Price waste disposal punitively and you inadvertently create a profit motive for those that will dispose of waste on the sly.

I wonder sometimes that politicians should go through some sort of 10-year compulsory work scheme, gaining experience in all sectors of the economy (including the messy ones like waste disposal), before being let loose to vote in parliament.

Another a big issue is how the existing infrastructure can be improved to cope with more people. We have a rail system that will never carry 2 decker carriages, track widths and cuttings that will never support wider gauge trains with additional capacity. A road system constrained by the placement of existing buildings which largely cannot be widened and a housing density in most parts that makes new road building uneconomic once you have bought up the land. Then there's the services - hospitals for example - can they be increased in size and have sufficient parking and access - most sites seem to be pretty full already and any spare space already allocated to parking. 

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 5/2/2017 at 09:22, Bkkandrew said:

I wonder sometimes that politicians should go through some sort of 10-year compulsory work scheme, gaining experience in all sectors of the economy (including the messy ones like waste disposal), before being let loose to vote in parliament.

Agreed. Studying politics and going straight into it should be a complete no-no. 

49 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Another a big issue is how the existing infrastructure can be improved to cope with more people. We have a rail system that will never carry 2 decker carriages, track widths and cuttings that will never support wider gauge trains with additional capacity. A road system constrained by the placement of existing buildings which largely cannot be widened and a housing density in most parts that makes new road building uneconomic once you have bought up the land. Then there's the services - hospitals for example - can they be increased in size and have sufficient parking and access - most sites seem to be pretty full already and any spare space already allocated to parking. 

Yes not easy, lots of things need to be replaced not enlarged. Infrastructure is an area where careful government is required, it can't be left to market economics as the interests of the electorate clearly conflict with the short term interests of developers. 

On 03/05/2017 at 11:24, onlyme said:

Then there's the services - hospitals for example - can they be increased in size and have sufficient parking and access - most sites seem to be pretty full already and any spare space already allocated to parking. 

Or...

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/hundreds-new-homes-planned-surplus-12805686

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, chronyx said:

Excellent, a good start, that should house 500 or so(with no thought of infrastructure). Now what about the other 6,999,500 extra people? (Oh, and the 1m or so who will arrive while Brexit is being enacted)

8 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Excellent, a good start, that should house 500 or so(with no thought of infrastructure). Now what about the other 6,999,500 extra people? (Oh, and the 1m or so who will arrive while Brexit is being enacted)

Cruella has already indicated that she wants the hordes to continue to pour in after Brexit too.

sleepwello'nights
10 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

It's right next to the M25 so a straight forward drive to Heathrow or Gatwick when you want to escape, traffic permitting. Trips to the hospital should be easy as well.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
Looked at site on Google maps

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Isn't right next to the M25 so a straight forward drive to Heathrow or Gatwick when you want to escape, traffic permitting. Trips to the hospital should be easy as well.

:) Brit thinking - infrastructure=a road. 

I'm kidding(mostly), this will probably be a decent drop in the vast ocean that is required at least.

THE MAJOR
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 08:33, spunko2010 said:

Cruella has already indicated that she wants the hordes to continue to pour in after Brexit too.

She can't do anything else, the whole Ponzi scheme relies on bodies.

Instead of thinking of a long term strategy to make things easier, or planning for an economy that doesn't rely on people buying stuff and/or services,

It's more expedient to ferry in more consumers.

It's a fucking joke.

Wight Flight
On 5/4/2017 at 22:35, swissy_fit said:

I am normally a bit of a nimby basher but this one is different.

A mile down the road is Fairoaks Airport which is proposed to be converted into a Garden Village with another 1500 homes.

There are NO shops local to either of these two developments and they basically sit equidistant from one roundabout which is very busy.

I used to have to use this roundabout every day. Between 7am and 9am it could take a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of about 30 minutes to get across.

Add a further 2000+ vehicle movements during rush hour and it will become gridlock. The only way in or out would be helicopter - but bugger me, they've just closed the airport!

I wouldn't live there if they gave me one, purely on the basis that it will become so difficult to get anywhere to even buy a pint of milk that it would be quicker to commute in from 100 miles away.

3 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

A mile down the road is Fairoaks Airport which is proposed to be converted into a Garden Village with another 1500 homes.

There are NO shops local to either of these two developments and they basically sit equidistant from one roundabout which is very busy.

I used to have to use this roundabout every day. Between 7am and 9am it could take a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of about 30 minutes to get across.

Add a further 2000+ vehicle movements during rush hour and it will become gridlock. The only way in or out would be helicopter - but bugger me, they've just closed the airport!

I wouldn't live there if they gave me one, purely on the basis that it will become so difficult to get anywhere to even buy a pint of milk that it would be quicker to commute in from 100 miles away.

You live in a posh place!

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 5/7/2017 at 13:06, Cunning Plan said:

Handy bit of local knowledge. I daresay when robotised shops get going a bit more these kind of developments may get one. It'd better have pretty solid windows though if it sells alcohol and there are pikeys placed in some of the houses.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Handy bit of local knowledge. I daresay when robotised shops get going a bit more these kind of developments may get one. It'd better have pretty solid windows though if it sells alcohol and there are pikeys placed in some of the houses.

No need. There are three legitimate pikey camps within 1/2 mile and another couple within 1,5 miles.

The local primary school is probably 50% static traveller.

• 3 weeks later...
swiss_democracy_for_all
On 5/8/2017 at 17:27, Cunning Plan said:

No need. There are three legitimate pikey camps within 1/2 mile and another couple within 1,5 miles.

The local primary school is probably 50% static traveller.

Christ. Remind me to ask questions on here about where to live if I ever move back to the UK. I doubt if there is a pikey concentration map that can be browsed.

One percent
6 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Christ. Remind me to ask questions on here about where to live if I ever move back to the UK. I doubt if there is a pikey concentration map that can be browsed.

If I were you I would try my very best not to. It's lost. 

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, One percent said:

If I were you I would try my very best not to. It's lost. 

Not really lost, just stuck with an outdated electoral system designed for stability but also designed to maintain an elite in power (now the Labour party have thrown away their roots and joined the elite themselves).

The sensible majority of people know what they want, I think, (not all good, but hey that's the way it goes) but they need to take back democracy.  Swiss-style popular referendums available every 3 months or so would soon turn things around, thpugh it might be a bit chaotic for a few years while the system settled in. 

4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Not really lost, just stuck with an outdated electoral system designed for stability but also designed to maintain an elite in power (now the Labour party have thrown away their roots and joined the elite themselves).

The sensible majority of people know what they want, I think, (not all good, but hey that's the way it goes) but they need to take back democracy.  Swiss-style popular referendums available every 3 months or so would soon turn things around, thpugh it might be a bit chaotic for a few years while the system settled in. 

Pretty sure it was a reference to this kind of thing (Bradford)

image_update_46d422858e54b80c_1348843364