• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

North Korea fires another missile

Recommended Posts

SEOUL, April 29 (Yonhap) -- North Korea launched a ballistic missile on Saturday from an area north of Pyongyang, South Korea's military said.

"North Korea fired an unidentified missile from a site in the vicinity of Bukchang in Pyeongannam-do (South Pyeongan Province) early this morning," the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a statement.

The JSC is analyzing the type and flight distance of the projectile.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2017/04/29/0200000000AEN20170429001000315.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

My guess is fatty does not have many missiles and is loathe to fire them.

 

There has been, for decades, talk of Noortk Korea being able to level Seoul with their several thousand artillery pieces. So I went onto wikipedia this week to have a read about the several thousand artillery pieces.

Yes, they do have thousands. But many of them are short-range pieces dating back to the 1940's and 50's, They have varying ranges. Some can fire 5 miles. Some can do 20 miles.

Seoul is about 35 miles from the border.

They NK supposedly have 200 artillery weapons that can fire up to 70 miles so, in theory, these could devastate Seoul. But NK would need to gather them in an area that would make them vulnerable to air attack. Admittedly, they could do considerable damage at first, especially if they fired chemical shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Who knows.

Even the nork generals will be lying to fatty.

Spot on.

No one knows that much about North Koreas true military capabilities.

A lot if it is probably bluff to deter aggression (just as some animals pretend to be more deadly than they are to ward off predators) but how much is not clear.

Also worth noting that while Kim Jong-Un is clearly a nasty bit of work our own leaders and media are not above lying to us to start wars for ulterior purposes.

The big danger is how any unilateral attack on North Korea by the US is viewed by China and Russia who both share borders with the country. The CCCP leadership may want the Fat One gone but the Chinese military may not be keen on the US taking the lead. Face matters a lot in Asia. It could all too easily get out of hand once the shooting starts.

 

 

 

Edited by Flirtygirty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

Kim is probably the only fat despot left who likes to wind up the yanks! 

(well maybe Assad too) 

The world would be boring as hell with US hegemony reigning supreme. 

I dont think the yanks are too fussed by Assad.

Although hes ryssias asset therell be intellegence between syrua ans us. I yhink it was the meeting ground for us and iran via proxies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problem for the government in Beijing is the Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Treaty signed in 1961 which was last renewed in 2001 for 20 years to 2021.

Article 2 of the Treaty commits both nations to come to the defence of the other if attacked by a third party or a coalition of third parties

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-North_Korean_Mutual_Aid_and_Cooperation_Friendship_Treaty

The Chinese political leadership would like to ignore this commitment but one wonders if the more hard liner comnanders in the Chinese army would let them.

Of course, one way the scenario could be finessed for the advantage of the US and China is for the former to create the pretext for the latter to come to the military 'assistance' of the North Koreans  thus creating an opportunity for the Chinese to replace Kim Jong with a more pliable regime. NK would then stay as a buffer state in the Chinese sphere of influence but would be much less likely to go rogue lobbing nuclear threats about. This would be a dangerous strategy to pull off but it might be the best solution to the problem.

Edited by Flirtygirty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flirtygirty said:

One of the problem for the government in Beijing is the Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Treaty signed in 1961 which was last renewed in 2001 for 20 years to 2021.

Article 2 of the Treaty commits both nations to come to the defence of the other if attacked by a third party or a coalition of third parties

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-North_Korean_Mutual_Aid_and_Cooperation_Friendship_Treaty

The Chinese political leadership would like to ignore this commitment but one wonders if the more hard liner comnanders in the Chinese army would let them.

Of course, one way the scenario could be finessed for the advantage of the US and China is for the former to create the pretext for the latter to come to the military 'assistance' of the North Koreans  thus creating an opportunity for the Chinese to replace Kim Jong with a more pliable regime. NK would then stay as a buffer state in the Chinese sphere of influence but would be much less likely to go rogue lobbing nuclear threats about. This would be a dangerous strategy to pull off but it might be the best solution to the problem.

 

We could easily see a military coup in China if the US attacks NK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, montecristo said:

NK missile technology advancing?

Reading the western MSM the coverage tends to omit the fact that the divide in Korea between North and South is purely ideological. In terms of language, culture and history they are a single people. Any conflict in the peninsular is thus inevitably going to be a civil war. South Korea is not without its political issues following the recent impeachment of President Park. It should be noted  that the two front runners in the election for the new President are both in favour of dialogue with the North rather than the use of force. There is a strong suspicion amongst South Koreans that the THAAD anti missile system being deployed there by the US is to protect the American mainland and Japan from Kim rather than places like Seoul. Some also think the real target for THAAD is Chinas ICBMs not the largely unproven and unreliable missiles of NK The fact that Trump has stated that he wants South Koreans to pay for a system that the latter believe is really designed to protect the US makes it not a universally popular policy

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/world/asia/trump-south-korea-thaad-missile-defense-north-korea.html?_r=0

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Flirtygirty said:

One of the problem for the government in Beijing is the Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Treaty signed in 1961 which was last renewed in 2001 for 20 years to 2021.

Article 2 of the Treaty commits both nations to come to the defence of the other if attacked by a third party or a coalition of third parties

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-North_Korean_Mutual_Aid_and_Cooperation_Friendship_Treaty

The Chinese political leadership would like to ignore this commitment but one wonders if the more hard liner comnanders in the Chinese army would let them.

Of course, one way the scenario could be finessed for the advantage of the US and China is for the former to create the pretext for the latter to come to the military 'assistance' of the North Koreans  thus creating an opportunity for the Chinese to replace Kim Jong with a more pliable regime. NK would then stay as a buffer state in the Chinese sphere of influence but would be much less likely to go rogue lobbing nuclear threats about. This would be a dangerous strategy to pull off but it might be the best solution to the problem.

I can see that latter one happening; there were reports of large numbers of Chinese troops gathering near the NK border a couple of weeks ago.

I think they need the crazy fat kid to do something exceptionally stupid as an excuse and then they will pile in to take it as a protectorate.

This looks to me to be the main narrative here with the US fleets and NK's rubbish missile tests merely a diverting sideshow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the MSM are now gearing us up for war

Lots of articles about the inhumanity of NK prison camps today

Strangely, the one thing the US and NK have in common is that they incarcerate roughly the same percentage of their population having about 700 per 100,000 behind bars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flirtygirty said:

I see the MSM are now gearing us up for war

Lots of articles about the inhumanity of NK prison camps today

Strangely, the one thing the US and NK have in common is that they incarcerate roughly the same percentage of their population having about 700 per 100,000 behind bars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

 

 

Pot kettle black call!O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Pot kettle black call!O.o

I think the other  point is that the NK prisons have been brutal for decades but that fact is only deemed newsworthy by the MSM now. It is the same as with Saddam who butchered Iraqis happily for decades without attracting much notice from the west. It was only when it was decided to overthrow him that it became important. The media always goes on message when the shooting is about to start.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flirtygirty said:

I think the other  point is that the NK prisons have been brutal for decades but that fact is only deemed newsworthy by the MSM now. It is the same as with Saddam who butchered Iraqis happily for decades without attracting much notice from the west. It was only when it was decided to overthrow him that it became important. The media always goes on message when the shooting is about to start.

 

 

Prisons are no good anywhere but Canada, according to a mate of mine, who did six months, and isn't allowed into Canada again.

Yes a lot of places are even more corrupt and horrible than the UK. WE know they are bent as anything, but they buy our tanks and missiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.