• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest

"Speaking the truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act,”

Recommended Posts

Guest

Have a special significance in the light of recent events, threads being wiped and all.

I've ever been a lurker on HPC but whenever an 'event' happen(ed)/s immediately I'd turn to the informed opinion, insights, overview and real wisdom contained within these erstwhile discussions and then they were gone/ erased/wiped /dispensed with .....

Cannot help but wonder if 'Newspeak', Censorship and the contents of (Eric Blair's) /George Orwell's books aren't coming to pass in our time....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suzie Quattro was very handsome face, sort of a bit slightly off, a bit male sometimes really, not much of her, but still could do cute. I never met her. I'd bet she would steal yer motorbike.

1 minute ago, M S E Refugee said:

HPC is History we are now freethinking Dosbods,it is Utopia.

And its a place where everybody knows your name!

That's what I'm worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

You are like the Sphinx in "Mystery Men":o

I had to Google "Mystery men" looks like a load of old cod's wallop.  Never did get to the "Sphinx" reference but if you are into deep thoughts hows about:  The reason there are so many liberals is because being a liberal is easier than thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just falling foul of the law now that you have to worry about. It's what the situation will be like in the decades ahead and whether the things you are stating today could be used against you. If the political and demographic situation deteriorates I wouldn't rule it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

I had to Google "Mystery men" looks like a load of old cod's wallop.  Never did get to the "Sphinx" reference but if you are into deep thoughts hows about:  The reason there are so many liberals is because being a liberal is easier than thinking. 

You won't learn much wisdom from it, but if you are in a silly mood, it's worth a watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I like the name SuzieQ, and is the bass guitar bigger than you?

Yes we are in dangerous times where thought is discouraged

No the bass guitar isn't bigger than me !! Can't even play one! But I'd like to think the user name does me a bit of justice! 

We live in the world of the 'twisty twister' ...where truth is lies and lies is truth .....periscope required to see round the corners..

 

Changing the subject ....does anyone watch the Danish subtitled drama on BBC4 'Follow The Money'....?  I think its brilliant drama and more thought provoking stuff. Added to which my Danish is coming on a treat. Sorry, to go off the topic I started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suzieq said:

Have a special significance in the light of recent events, threads being wiped and all.

I've ever been a lurker on HPC but whenever an 'event' happen(ed)/s immediately I'd turn to the informed opinion, insights, overview and real wisdom contained within these erstwhile discussions and then they were gone/ erased/wiped /dispensed with .....

Cannot help but wonder if 'Newspeak', Censorship and the contents of (Eric Blair's) /George Orwell's books aren't coming to pass in our time....

Spot on.

Dissent is being shut down and even what can be discussed is being restricted.

Google advertising is the immediate cause of the shut down on HPC; think how many sites that touches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Spot on.

Dissent is being shut down and even what can be discussed is being restricted.

Google advertising is the immediate cause of the shut down on HPC; think how many sites that touches.

Google is the proxy rather than the root cause. They themselves don't care about the contents of the web sites that their ads appear on but their customers do:

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/03/big-us-companies-pull-youtube-ads-after-extremist-content-sparks-uncertainty/

If we were talking 10 customers and 20 web sites then Google could be a bit nuanced about it and, by hand, make sure that ads only appeared next to content matching the advertised aims - just like in the days of all-print advertising. But, since we're talking hundreds of millions of advertisers and many billions of web pages they have to automate it all. Accordingly, they're going to end up sending automated warnings to sites like HPC who will have no option but to react unless they want to lose all of their revenue whilst going through a long and difficult manual process to get it sorted out. It's the tyranny of scale I guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the fascinating things about the rise of the internet was its sense of freedom and liberation - unfettered technology that brought genuine democracy to the people. Young techies ahead of the curve and leading the vanguard into the future bypassing the establishment who at first ignored it and then failed to understand it. Quite simply revolutionary, and world-changing.

Unfortunately, power and money is changing it; less about ideals and freedom, more about profit centres and them kowtowing to advertisers and sponsors; and bowing to governments seeking to control it. Perhaps it is inevitable, we see it with pop stars, in time they become part of the establishment. Onside, and the antithesis of what they were when they burst onto the scene - no longer vibrant, challenging nor daring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

One of the fascinating things about the rise of the internet was its sense of freedom and liberation - unfettered technology that brought genuine democracy to the people. Young techies ahead of the curve and leading the vanguard into the future bypassing the establishment who at first ignored it and then failed to understand it. Quite simply revolutionary, and world-changing.

Unfortunately, power and money is changing it; less about ideals and freedom, more about profit centres and them kowtowing to advertisers and sponsors; and bowing to governments seeking to control it. Perhaps it is inevitable, we see it with pop stars, in time they become part of the establishment. Onside, and the antithesis of what they were when they burst onto the scene - no longer vibrant, challenging nor daring.

And fall to be replaced by the new.

As has just happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

One of the fascinating things about the rise of the internet was its sense of freedom and liberation - unfettered technology that brought genuine democracy to the people. Young techies ahead of the curve and leading the vanguard into the future bypassing the establishment who at first ignored it and then failed to understand it. Quite simply revolutionary, and world-changing.

Unfortunately, power and money is changing it; less about ideals and freedom, more about profit centres and them kowtowing to advertisers and sponsors; and bowing to governments seeking to control it. Perhaps it is inevitable, we see it with pop stars, in time they become part of the establishment. Onside, and the antithesis of what they were when they burst onto the scene - no longer vibrant, challenging nor daring.

That's true, but it's also worth noting that Spunko was free to set this site up without any kind of interference and here we are discussing this stuff. Before the internet came along that wouldn't really have been feasible. I think it's more that the commercial internet is/will become entirely regulated by money rather than the internet in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

HPC is History we are now freethinking Dosbods,it is Utopia.

And its a place where everybody knows your name!

Technically, this is a Brave New World where all names are up for grabs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.