• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Carl Fimble

milk, lemonade, chocolate

Went to buy some lemonade earlier today, massive Tesco's, soft juice aisle...

Schweppes : With sugar and sweeteners

Barr's : With sugar and sweeteners

Tesco's own brand : With sugar and sweeteners

Some cheap shit : With sugar and sweeteners

FFS! If I want artificial sweeteners I'll buy a diet one. Surely one would exist that was just sugar...... yes, but £2.80 for a litre...

Just grabbed the Schweppes one. Pissed off with that though, when did they start putting sweeteners into non diet juice?

Milk I like, mostly in a cup of tea, or with cereal.

Chocolate I love, mostly with a cup of tea.

Yeah, I pretty much just wanted to moan about artificial sweeteners in normal juice and my only option was £2 more for a bottle half the size. If I wanted 2 litres it would have been £5.60 not 75p-£1.50.

Boring myself now, anyway...

A sugar tax on soft drinks will raise less money than expected because companies have started making their products less sweet to avoid extra costs, the chancellor has said.

According to tax and spending forecasts in the budget, the levy will raise about £385m a year, less than expected.

“Unusually for a chancellor I am delighted to announce a reduction in the expected yield of a tax, the soft drinks levy,” said Philip Hammond. “Producers are already reformulating sugar out of their drinks, which means a lower revenue forecast for this tax.”

He said £1bn from the tax, set at 18p a litre or 24p for the sweetest drinks, would go to the Department for Education to fund sport in schools.

What the 2017 budget means for you
 Read more
Irn-Bru maker AG Barr has moved to make Scotland’s best-known fizzy drink less sugary, though larger firms such as Pepsi and Coca-Cola are yet to make any such commitment.

While soft drinks will be taxed more heavily, duty on wine, beer and spirits will continue to rise in line with inflation. This will add 2p to a pint of beer, 8p to a bottle of wine and 40p to a litre of gin.

That's why.

Source :- https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/08/sugar-tax-will-raise-less-money-than-expected

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Went to buy some lemonade earlier today, massive Tesco's, soft juice aisle...

Schweppes : With sugar and sweeteners

Barr's : With sugar and sweeteners

Tesco's own brand : With sugar and sweeteners

Some cheap shit : With sugar and sweeteners

FFS! If I want artificial sweeteners I'll buy a diet one. Surely one would exist that was just sugar...... yes, but £2.80 for a litre...

Just grabbed the Schweppes one. Pissed off with that though, when did they start putting sweeteners into non diet juice?

Milk I like, mostly in a cup of tea, or with cereal.

Chocolate I love, mostly with a cup of tea.

Yeah, I pretty much just wanted to moan about artificial sweeteners in normal juice and my only option was £2 more for a bottle half the size. If I wanted 2 litres it would have been £5.60 not 75p-£1.50.

Boring myself now, anyway...

Fuck the manufacturers and the government off and do it yourself.

2 Methods

1. Baking Soda Method

http://www.planet-science.com/categories/experiments/messy/2012/09/fizzy-lemonade.aspx

2. Soda Water Method

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/35331/two-step-fizzy-lemonade.aspx

The baking soda method appears to only require 1 teaspoon of sugar, the reaction of the citric acid with the baking soda is probably why and has the added benefit of reducing the acidity.

Making your own means you know what is in it!

I used to see it as a plus, as in you get a soft drink which is sweet but that's not from huge amounts of sugar but from some sugar and sweetener.

I hadn't thought of it before but these days I am like @Economic Exile in not drinking soft carbonated drinks; I haven't bought any all year and don't think I've drunk any.  I find them all far too sweet. Though I do drink squash or, when having lunch at a pub, lime and soda which are presumably similarly bad for me.

19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I haven't had a fizzy drink as such for years. Most are too sweet and coke makes me feel ill after a couple of sips.

My preference is tonic water. Bloody expensive though if you are somewhere that only sells it in small bottles.

I like tonic water too and was drinking quite a lot of it a few months to see if it would help with my restless legs. 

Like Frank, I do drink squash. I could forgo pretty much anything, tea, coffee etc as long as I could still have squash. I do try to pick decent ones like Rocks Organic. 

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Don't forget that sugar is a known carcinogen and aspartame is not... *opens can of sugary worms again and steps back*

Yer....right.

And water fucking kills you. :Old:

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Don't forget that sugar is a known carcinogen and aspartame is not... *opens can of sugary worms again and steps back*

I think I've spotted your single issue shilldom that motivated you to open this forum. Reveal your true paymasters! :D 

On 4/30/2017 at 03:02, MrPin said:

A lot of these "healthy" foods are stuffed with sugar, like yoghurt! I don't want 0% fat yoghurt, stuffed with sugar!O.o I want 100% fat proper yoghurt!O.o

Good luck with that.

On 30/04/2017 at 03:02, MrPin said:

A lot of these "healthy" foods are stuffed with sugar, like yoghurt! I don't want 0% fat yoghurt, stuffed with sugar!O.o I want 100% fat proper yoghurt!O.o

4 minutes ago, eight said:

Good luck with that.

Here you go, enjoy! O.o

Lard_zpssrf1em8d.jpg

27 minutes ago, eight said:

I think I've spotted your single issue shilldom that motivated you to open this forum. Reveal your true paymasters! :D 

Good luck with that.

Now that I've been rumbled I'm changing the word aspartame to appear instead as "nature's honey"

On 30/04/2017 at 09:17, ccc said:

I only drink lager or water. It's the way forward.

And surprisingly lager is quite low in sugar content.

As is beer.  Both 1 - 2 spoonfuls per pint.

Cider however is something like 7 - 9 spoonfuls.  I actually treat it like medicine (which sugar originally was) and drink cider when I have a bad cold as it helps me shake it off; which may just be the sugar.

On 30/04/2017 at 09:17, ccc said:

I only drink lager or water. It's the way forward.

And surprisingly lager is quite low in sugar content.

I had the startling realisation some years back that pint for pint lager is probably better for you than pop.

It's something to think about. :Beer:

3 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I had the startling realisation some years back that pint for pint lager is probably better for you than pop.

It's something to think about. :Beer:

Bank holiday so I shall be having one within the hour :Jumping: