• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Your last words

Got another annoying colleague. When we are in meetings after someone has spoken for a minute or two he starts making strange mouth noises, a kind of clucking, then he starts repeating the last word of every sentence someone else is saying.

My wife says its a sign of early onset Alzheimer, apparently he's having trouble following the conversation and does this to pretend he's aware of whats going on.

I think the missus might have a point as I've noticed this trait amongst the elderly

So, should I take my colleague to Dignitas? It's only an hours drive from our office.

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Got another annoying colleague. When we are in meetings after someone has spoken,.........he starts repeating the last word of every sentence someone else is saying.

My wife says its a sign of early onset Alzheimer, apparently he's having trouble following the conversation and does this to pretend he's aware of whats going on.

I had a colleague who did this, I thought it was his attempt to try and seem interested in the discussions going on as he never really has anything useful to add. This verbal tick is very annoying and I had considered ending sentences with inappropriate words just to see what happened.

Gladly we no longer work together, that is he has gone onto another business to while away their time.

7 hours ago, whitevanman said:

Someone I know well ends literally every sentence with "n'all"

If something needs particular emphasis it gets a double "n'all"

I worked with a short east ender who tagged "D'you know what I mean" or "Know what I mean" onto the end of every single sentence when stressed like a verbal tick.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I worked with a short east ender who tagged "D'you know what I mean" or "Know what I mean" onto the end of every single sentence when stressed like a verbal tick.

They are buggers to get out, you need to be careful as it can leave the head behind.

oh, sorry, you said verbal tick.  xD

Friend of my mum's had to start every sentence with 'the thing is' and /or finish it with 'this is the thing'  

She hadn't noticed. Once I pointed it out to her she found it very difficult to have a conversation with him ever again.