• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeepLurker

A suggestion: no fishing trips on the Other Forum

Hello,

A quick suggestion: I noticed a prolific poster (both here and on the Other Forum) make a post "other there" that was a clear invite to join the cool kids at DOSBODS. The mods reply was another ranty stickied post.

And I just want to say that I totally agree with them. So far, the split with HPC has been relatively amicable. But poaching posters from other there - and in a very public way, by posting on the forum - is definitely not cricket.

I'm not naming the person who did that - it doesn't matter who did it. I just think that it's very uncool, and that we should actively discourage this kind of stuff.

Discuss?

Totally agree.

I don't think we have anyone here with an axe to grind like mmmm beer last time. People are narked that threads were deleted but also understand why.

If someone asks "where is so and so" then a PM to let them know is fine. This isn't a rival forum, Spunko won't make money by poaching people.

Presumably the thing to do would be to buy some Google ads* and put in highly specific keywords to get them up on the HPC OT top banner.  Can't see how they could possibly mind that...

(*£100 worth of ads for £25 at the moment)

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Presumably the thing to do would be to buy some Google ads* and put in highly specific keywords to get them up on the HPC OT top banner.  Can't see how they could possibly mind that...

(*£100 worth of ads for £25 at the moment)

Well they did say the problem was free advertising...

In all seriousness though we should leave it alone. I also think we should delete the house prices section since nobody is really using it anyway - I think an investments section would be fine once there are more sections but having house prices and the economy as our only 'on-topic' section is pushing it. 

3 minutes ago, This Time said:

In all seriousness though we should leave it alone. I also think we should delete the house prices section since nobody is really using it anyway - I think an investments section would be fine once there are more sections but having house prices and the economy as our only 'on-topic' section is pushing it. 

Agreed. I would still like to use the other site for my main HPC / Economy reference as there are a lot of very good posters over there that would have no interest in being over here.

Also, there is a potential danger of those of us over here getting banned from over there if we become antagonistic.

If you feel a few of the lads need to know where we have all gone, drop them a pm. 

11 minutes ago, This Time said:

Yep. I also think it's nice to have an off topic forum without any on topic forum for the off topic forum to go off topic from. It adds a certain je ne sais qoui to the whole thing.

I've said before on here and on there that this forum isn't meant to be a direct rival to HPC (although The Moderators over there decided it was after I added an Economy forum). Up to that point they seemed quite happy for us to mention this site so I have to thank them for that, a lot of other forums wouldn't have entertained it at all. Also, the Moderators are only doing what they're told to do, within the remit that Fubar Ltd give them, so it's a tough job without much praise.

HPC is a long established forum and the house prices stuff is very good if that's your thing. I doubt I'd be welcome there now and haven't logged in because my account is likely banned, but I would agree with the sentiment that openly advertising this site on there probably isn't a good idea.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Agreed. I would still like to use the other site for my main HPC / Economy reference as there are a lot of very good posters over there that would have no interest in being over here.

I'm leaving the other site for on-topic stuff, all the interesting and mentally stimulating stuff can stay over here.

We need a main forum theme here as no forum without a underlying theme will do anything but slowly wither as it won't attract the casual searcher.

I threw in house prices and the economy as that's one of my main interests; and why I was on HPC in the first place.

It doesn't have to be that but it does have to be something in order to attract new people in.

Come up with something else then, and I'm not saying that confrontationally as I'm perfectly happy for that to be replaced with something better, just not deleted with nothing put in its place as from that point this forum will start to steadily die.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

We need a main forum theme here as no forum without a underlying theme will do anything but slowly wither as it won't attract the casual searcher.

I threw in house prices and the economy as that's one of my main interests; and why I was on HPC in the first place.

It doesn't have to be that but it does have to be something in order to attract new people in.

Come up with something else then, and I'm not saying that confrontationally as I'm perfectly happy for that to be replaced with something better, just not deleted with nothing put in its place as from that point this forum will start to steadily die.

Agree with that, but anything forced won't work. There'd be no point in me adding 3 subforums about my interests such as gardening for example - nobody would post there except maybe The Gardener and I, as it's too fringe. That's why I'm playing it slow & long, and seeing what kind of topics come up more than others etc, but if anyone has any ideas please share them... ;)

Just now, Fully Detached said:

Hmm, an entire forum devoted to DOSBODS? It's certainly worth of the honour...

Given that our main DOSBODS field report agents seem to have given up on the whole idea of ever getting a leg over, we may need new blood to keep the battle alive.

Anyone that googles something that takes them to DOSBODS is probably alright by me.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Agree with that, but anything forced won't work. There'd be no point in me adding 3 subforums about my interests such as gardening for example - nobody would post there except maybe The Gardener and I, as it's too fringe.

Give it a few weeks to decide, maybe survivalist off grid gardening and foraging! I'm a forager.

I think the DOSBODS idea is good - but just bear in mind that I can easily change the domain name to something else, it shouldn't be a limiting factor in other words. I can easily forward the entire dosbods.co.uk domain to another one and you probably wouldn't even notice. 

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Given that our main DOSBODS field report agents seem to have given up on the whole idea of ever getting a leg over, we may need new blood to keep the battle alive.

Anyone that googles something that takes them to DOSBODS is probably alright by me.

I asked Mrs. FD if I could do my bit. She said no. Actually, having seen a mate of mine join Tinder recently, I'm quite glad she did.

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Agree with that, but anything forced won't work. There'd be no point in me adding 3 subforums about my interests such as gardening for example - nobody would post there except maybe The Gardener and I, as it's too fringe. That's why I'm playing it slow & long, and seeing what kind of topics come up more than others etc, but if anyone has any ideas please share them... ;)

Couple of options:

1) we all seem to hate censorship so a main forum dedicated to what the MSM would refer to as fake news? Difficult to do without it turning into 4chan /pol - might need a hell of a lot of moderation (which would be incredibly ironic)

2) wait a week or so then put it to a vote and pick 5 broad categories that could drive traffic in. 

1) could be the most fruitful - most people who follow rebel media, infowars, crowder, milo etc seem to end up on things like 4chan which isn't exactly the most intelligent place to gather. But also could give the most headaches.