• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
OurDayWillCome

Ripping up the tarmac!

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

That could have been a bit hairy if a chunk of that had hit the tail boom. 

Pretty sure there is some pics of a 747 in Pakistan or somewhere that shredded a runway leaving brick, tarmac and all manners of shit all over the stabilisers plus some rather expensive dents.

As some of the YouTube comments mentioned - the pilot backtracked and could have sucked up some tarmac. As it is he almost ran out of runway - if he had sucked up some crud he would have been ploughing through the road at the back of the runway!

From the thread title I assumed that it was going to be some sort of plane spotters wet dream where "ripping up the tarmac" meant that someone had watched the plane equivalent of a top trump gracefully but unimpressively making its way up the runway.

What an excellent way to be proven wrong - outfuckingstanding!

How did we end up making those toy airplanes, while the french went from making nothing to hitting on the sort of designs that would last half a century, just a few years after the end of the war?

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

How did we end up making those toy airplanes, while the french went from making nothing to hitting on the sort of designs that would last half a century, just a few years after the end of the war?

Thant's what I was thinking - pretty shonky looking fighter! I thought it was a scale model at first, the way it was wobbling about.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

IANAAE (I Am Not An Aeronautical Engineer) but I think that there's a big difference between planes designed for war, and those designed for peace - planes designed in wartime (and especially towards the end of the war) can be designed with the expectation that they're not going to last more than a dozen flights (because, you know, war) so quality is a secondary consideration. The Vampire was designed during WW2.

Google the German "People's Fighter" for an extreme example of this.

1 hour ago, DeepLurker said:

IANAAE (I Am Not An Aeronautical Engineer) but I think that there's a big difference between planes designed for war, and those designed for peace - planes designed in wartime (and especially towards the end of the war) can be designed with the expectation that they're not going to last more than a dozen flights (because, you know, war) so quality is a secondary consideration. The Vampire was designed during WW2.

Google the German "People's Fighter" for an extreme example of this.

The Japanese got that down to a fine art. To be fair to the vampire too very much still the early days of jet propulsion so probably more of a prototype aircraft that slipped into production.

Japanese_Ohka_rocket_plane.jpg

5 hours ago, steppensheep said:

IIRC, at the beginning of the 50s UK manufacturer Fairey tested its Delta supersonic prototypes in France because the UK government wouldn't let them test in the UK. Dassault Aviation closely observed the UK pioneeer and the innovative delta wing design,  and subsequently made an almost exact copy of the Delta, and went on to be very successful, leading to the Mirage. And the rest is history. Typical UK bureaucrats clutching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to innovation. See also TSR-2.

Comparison Fairey Delta II and Dassault Mirage (Small).JPG

Edited by The Idiocrat

1 hour ago, The Idiocrat said:

IIRC, at the beginning of the 50s UK manufacturer Fairey tested its Delta supersonic prototypes in France because the UK government wouldn't let them test in the UK. Dassault Aviation closely observed the UK pioneeer and the innovative delta wing design,  and subsequently made an almost exact copy of the Delta, and went on to be very successful, leading to the Mirage. And the rest is history. Typical UK bureaucrats clutching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to innovation. See also TSR-2.

Comparison Fairey Delta II and Dassault Mirage (Small).JPG

Glad you mentioned the TSR-2! Just down the road from Halfpenny Green airport is RAF Cosford - they have a TSR-2, Vulcan, Lightning and some awesome early experimental jets on show. The Cosford Cold War museum is also free entry - dosboders bonus!

9 hours ago, onlyme said:

The Japanese got that down to a fine art. To be fair to the vampire too very much still the early days of jet propulsion so probably more of a prototype aircraft that slipped into production.

I doubt there is even a service manual for those things.

When you think of what aircraft manufacturers got into after the war, bubble cars and scooters, it gives you an appreciation of what pilot/crew had to put up with at speeds x 10 and heights x 10,000

Edited by Panther

13 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Glad you mentioned the TSR-2! Just down the road from Halfpenny Green airport is RAF Cosford - they have a TSR-2, Vulcan, Lightning and some awesome early experimental jets on show. The Cosford Cold War museum is also free entry - dosboders bonus!

Yes, have been, it's excellent.

13 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Edited by The Idiocrat

I saw a biopic about Marcel Dassault a few years back. Apparently, "For a plane to fly well, it must be beautiful." Had lots of scenes of him lovingly sketching airplanes. Theres also a decent animated film from Ghibli about pre ww2 japanese aircraft designers.

3 hours ago, steppensheep said:

I saw a biopic about Marcel Dassault a few years back. Apparently, "For a plane to fly well, it must be beautiful." Had lots of scenes of him lovingly sketching airplanes. Theres also a decent animated film from Ghibli about pre ww2 japanese aircraft designers.

The Wind Rises. Not one of the better Ghibli films but interesting nonetheless.

On 2017-05-02 at 06:58, onlyme said:

I believe Mrs XYY has one of these under her pillow 

5 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

I believe Mrs XYY has one of these under her pillow 

I do indeed Mister Cavey.

XYY was drunk the other night, and asked me to use it on him.

Obviously I obliged - and knocked four of his fucking teeth out...!

Mrs XYY