• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarahbell

What are benefits of Single market?

“exact same benefits” as the UK enjoys from being inside the single market and customs union.

So what are the benefits of being inside the single market. Taking into account trade with Switzerland, EU countries and countries outside of Europe?

Net benefit is a hard question to answer without a lot of data. The benefit from the UK side is the relative ease of doing business in the rest of Europe. If a car is assembled in the UK to EU standards all the manufacturer has to do is put it on a transporter and take it to wherever without the need for much paperwork etc. At the other end of the scale, a small business that gets a contract in another country can send over staff to do the work if needed with limited complexity around visas etc. This is all still relative to having no access rather than true ease though. There's still all the tax implications to worry about, local product variations, exchange rate fluctuations etc. My general experience is that the barriers to doing business outside of the EU are greater but rarely so much greater than to prevent it from happening. E.g. my last UK employer before I moved to Canada did something like 75% of its business with companies outside of the EU without too much bother.

You can supply a service or goods to Sweden or Bulgaria et al, and as long as you conform to the relevant standards, you can sell it uninterrupted throughout the single market.  Its as easy to send goods from Glasgow to Sofia as it is from Glasgow to Edinburgh...

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

“exact same benefits” as the UK enjoys from being inside the single market and customs union.

So what are the benefits of being inside the single market. Taking into account trade with Switzerland, EU countries and countries outside of Europe?

It makes VAT fraud easier.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_trader_fraud

The amounts involved cost the UK 12.6 billion Euros in 2005-6.

The UK is the biggest net loser from VAT fraud in the EU and this one area where leaving will give the British government the ability to change the rules to limit the losses which it can't do at the moment without agreement from the rest of the EU 

4 hours ago, Flirtygirty said:

It makes VAT fraud easier.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_trader_fraud

The amounts involved cost the UK 12.6 billion Euros in 2005-6.

The UK is the biggest net loser from VAT fraud in the EU and this one area where leaving will give the British government the ability to change the rules to limit the losses which it can't do at the moment without agreement from the rest of the EU 

I was telling my dad about carousel fraud the other day and how much it cost the country. No idea why the brexit campaign didn't talk about that as a potential NHS spend. 

I am interested in the benefits of wto rules. As I understand it, we are paying massive import tariffs on lots of things (70% on Argentinian beef for example).

Most of this (less a handling fee) goes to the EU. So if we do revert to wto rules, will many things become much cheaper?

Basically, will my Chilean merlot drop in price?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am interested in the benefits of wto rules. As I understand it, we are paying massive import tariffs on lots of things (70% on Argentinian beef for example).

Most of this (less a handling fee) goes to the EU. So if we do revert to wto rules, will many things become much cheaper?

Basically, will my Chilean merlot drop in price?

No developed country trades on pure WTO rules - not even Chile, China or the US to the EU.  Imports will not get cheaper, due to the cost of the hoops (ie paperwork) that exporters / importers will have to jump through...

http://exporthelp.europa.eu/thdapp/display.htm?page=cd%2Fcd_Chile.html&docType=main&languageId=en

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86420

Its not just tariffs, its non trade barriers rules are equally, if not more important..