DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Would you buy a new build or self build?

Green Devil

ashestoashes

why didn't the farmer just have a malfunction on his muckspreader and cover the walls ?

On 22/06/2017 at 21:16, chronyx said:

I can barely get a fork 4 inches into places of my lawn, if I ever re-turf it will be interesting to see what's there

Found a 1990s vintage crisp packet a while back xD

This is not new. I found an old oven door under my lawn. 1940s build, though could have been from a later refurb! Its still there, it was 25cm down and I didn't fancy chasing it back from the wall edge I found it at.

Green Devil
4 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

This one is funny, involves Persimmon Homes as usual who like to make the most cash possible out of innocent/clueless housebuyers.

fenced-in-a-new-157791.jpg

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/house-surrounded-fence/

Even I can see what has gone on here:-

Ooh lets turn the end house round, clad it in fake stone so it looks better than the others and give it a view. Look there is an unmade road at the front, obviously not belonging to the cunts at Persimmon..

Forget it is directly adjacent the farm access.

Forget that the buyers will think the farm access is their own personal drive to dump their C-Class on.

Then say it is nothing to do with them as the house is on their land, which it is.

The twats at Persimon Homes should have stuck the front door on the other wall.

Poor old Thomas and Rebekkah bleat:- “Rebekah and I have just started our own business and had to fight to get a mortgage and then to get this house. “We specifically bought this house, beating off a lot of competition, for its beautiful views and now they’ve gone. “Rebekah is always in tears. She is in despair – there was no warning and the fence just appeared.

So they paid Persimmon a premium, how unfortunate, wonder who did the 'survey', probably the cheapest one they could get.

looks like the poor sods are going to have to maintain that fence :) :)

Having lived in a new build (non estate) and then going immediately to the other end of the spectrum - a 16thC project, I'd say choose based on what you are looking for in a house and disregard anyone else. If you don't mind the pitfalls of a new build, which are:- small garden, overlooked, parking problems, then go for it. Not being facetious, I can see now that the benefits of owning a new build, as long as it's of decent quality, outweigh the negatives if that's your thing.

Negatives of living in an older house: You never get any time to do anything as you're constantly fixing things that people 100+ years ago bodged, they're colder and draftier than new builds, the wanker at the council and every other neighbour informs you what you should and should not do to your own property, and they're quite dark inside.

One thing I've noticed though, all these celebrities that crow about sustainability and modern design, never live in them. EG: Kevin McCloud lives in a 16th Century manor house.

On 27/05/2018 at 18:43, Chewing Grass said:

Poor old Thomas and Rebekkah bleat:- “Rebekah and I have just started our own business and had to fight to get a mortgage and then to get this house. “We specifically bought this house, beating off a lot of competition, for its beautiful views and now they’ve gone. “Rebekah is always in tears. She is in despair – there was no warning and the fence just appeared.

So they paid Persimmon a premium, how unfortunate, wonder who did the 'survey', probably the cheapest one they could get.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Blackburn+BB1+4AQ/@53.7795543,-2.4645971,78m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b9e5d53a19f23:0x6e1b36cf95d5354e!8m2!3d53.7763679!4d-2.4621181

?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59870078.html

On 29/05/2018 at 13:13, spunko2010 said:

Is that for the entire thing?

PRICE GUIDE 
Lot 1: £275,000 
Lot 2: £375,000 

But you'd want to buy it all? 

On 03/05/2017 at 16:40, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

:) Flood zone? (Guess the basement was beyond saving)

The sockets might have been high up for wheelchair access?

Caravan Monster
On 08/05/2017 at 13:48, Sgt Hartman said:

The last one I worked in had been flooded out (three inches under the 'soil' was a lovely bed of clay...and an entire buried toilet which caused some amusement) and they can be a bastard to work in because the gardens are basically 3 inches of soil over the contents of a skip.

I worked for a turfing firm in the late nineties. Common practice on new builds was to use sharp sand to level what was essentially hardcore and lay the turf on top of that. The turf would generally grow so long as it was well watered.

On 30/05/2018 at 20:49, MrPin said:

The sockets might have been high up for wheelchair access?

New regs since 16th edition have sockets way up from the skirting board, any new build or extension has to be at the new height for disabled accessibility, you can rewiree old places and still use the old low down position though.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

New regs since 16th edition have sockets way up from the skirting board, any new build or extension has to be at the new height for disabled accessibility, you can rewiree old places and still use the old low down position though.

Having them higher up is actually useful! 

6 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I worked for a turfing firm in the late nineties. Common practice on new builds was to use sharp sand to level what was essentially hardcore and lay the turf on top of that. The turf would generally grow so long as it was well watered.

It will grow but it'll always be patchy and bald in places and look awful. In my last house the neighbour's garden (also a new build) was the same size as mine - about 30ft x 15ft, so not huge. They dug up the turf and got all the crap out as soon as they moved in, it filled up a skip and countless wheelie bins. And these were "reputable local builders" so I dread to think what Bovis etc do.

My current (but very old) house isn't much better mind, the established beds are great but start digging elsewhere and I find old bits of brick, roof tiles, glass bottles, all sorts. Apparently people just used to bury their rubbish in the garden before it was collected by the council.

Archived