• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Engine recommendations

I'm looking to tap the expertise of the dosbods massive here.

as posted on other threads, we tend to purchase a car nearly new and run it into the ground. Well the rover 75, whilst the engine is still good is suffering from bits breaking and failing. Stupid things like door actuators.

So, we are in the market for a new to us car.  One year old.  Very mixed use.  Trolling round London, m25 and trips to god's own.  

We also have had the diesel selling scandal (the rover has a pre particle filter engine), the rise in alternative fuels.  So, do we go for a petrol (my choice), a Toyota hybrid (mr 1percent's choice) or a new diesel?

I'm pretty happy with the Diesel Mokka. Feels like a big car and returns about 55 mpg on average.

Never made the 75 mpg claimed by Vauxhall...no surprise there.

And I don't like the idea of driving around with a tank full of explosive petrol.  Diesel doesn't burst into flames when some drunken knob drives into you.

Be wary of the new diesel, too much tech to run around London, think clogged particulate filters etc. Plus Diesel is the new Evil for politicians to whip.

I would stick to a petrol especially if your mileage is low,  most are much more efficient than 10 years ago and the engines are still simple.

Petrol is a good holding pattern until things settle down.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I'm looking to tap the expertise of the dosbods massive here.

as posted on other threads, we tend to purchase a car nearly new and run it into the ground. Well the rover 75, whilst the engine is still good is suffering from bits breaking and failing. Stupid things like door actuators.

So, we are in the market for a new to us car.  One year old.  Very mixed use.  Trolling round London, m25 and trips to god's own.  

We also have had the diesel selling scandal (the rover has a pre particle filter engine), the rise in alternative fuels.  So, do we go for a petrol (my choice), a Toyota hybrid (mr 1percent's choice) or a new diesel?

Toyota hybrids can do massive mileages without failure. It'll be better round town than the other options, and less good on the motorway. My advice would be to get a slightly older one than usual as in 3-5 years the technology game-changers will be here.

Just now, swissy_fit said:

Toyota hybrids can do massive mileages without failure. It'll be better round town than the other options, and less good on the motorway. My advice would be to get a slightly older one than usual as in 3-5 years the technology game-changers will be here.

Thanks swissy.  All the minicabs in London seem to have gone over the the Prius?, one of the Toyota hybrids, so I would guess they are reliable and efficient round town.  When you say not good on a motorway, what do you mean?  Is it economy or distance ?  

Maybe a noddy question but how do you see engine technology changing in five years?

We just got a Suzuki Ignis and it's fab. We have the 2WD and are getting around 55mpg, there's 4WD "mild" hybrid that apparently returns more.

6 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

I'm pretty happy with the Diesel Mokka. Feels like a big car and returns about 55 mpg on average.

Never made the 75 mpg claimed by Vauxhall...no surprise there.

And I don't like the idea of driving around with a tank full of explosive petrol.  Diesel doesn't burst into flames when some drunken knob drives into you.

Funny wahoo, I've never had my petrol tank explode on me. xD  on a serious note, I guess it is a possibility and some I knew years ago had a low slung Toyota that had a tendency to explode on crashing. Sadly it did and she didn't make it. I hope that things have been improved since then.

a mate has the Mokka, not sure of the engine but I was impressed. 

Petrol for me.

I bought my first Diesel a couple of months back, and I'm currently learning the hard way.

Discovered clutch slipping on the drive home.  Got that sorted (without having to do the DMF), then a few weeks later the DPF light came on and that needed replacing.

If you're buying 1 year old, you'll be ok though.

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Whatever qualities it may have (and it does, to be fair), it's still a filthy stinking diesel. :P

Aye, but unlike the VW never smell it, one hell of an engine in that thing.

I suspect that diesels will be taxed out of London soon. I'd go petrol. I test drove a Toyota Prius a couple of years ago - hated it, like driving a milk float. I think they are also more complicated with the additional electrics to allow the car to switch power sources, does that mean you are limited to who services it - I'm a firm believer in not using a main dealer once out of warranty and if you run a car for years that difference in servicing costs can run up.

1 minute ago, sisyphal said:

Petrol for me.

I bought my first Diesel a couple of months back, and I'm currently learning the hard way.

Discovered clutch slipping on the drive home.  Got that sorted (without having to do the DMF), then a few weeks later the DPF light came on and that needed replacing.

What make?

10 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Be wary of the new diesel, too much tech to run around London, think clogged particulate filters etc. Plus Diesel is the new Evil for politicians to whip.

I would stick to a petrol especially if your mileage is low,  most are much more efficient than 10 years ago and the engines are still simple.

Petrol is a good holding pattern until things settle down.

Thanks chewy, my view but mr 1percent is not convinced. He has a tendency to believe what the msm tell him.  Yes I know, he is on the reeducation programme 

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I suspect that diesels will be taxed out of London soon. I'd go petrol. I test drove a Toyota Prius a couple of years ago - hated it, like driving a milk float. I think they are also more complicated with the additional electrics to allow the car to switch power sources, does that mean you are limited to who services it - I'm a firm believer in not using a main dealer once out of warranty and if you run a car for years that difference in servicing costs can run up.

That's the common problem with hybrids the drivetrain does not respond in the same way - that and CVT only many of them. Test driving in various road conditions definitely needed before going hybrid route.

Edited by onlyme

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yaris 1.4D bomb proof, a few thou off 180K. Problem will be the new rules for diesel in town centres if they come through.

This is the issue too.  The 75 is going to be banned from London by khan (my dad was a bus driver) in the next couple of years 

5 minutes ago, sisyphal said:

Petrol for me.

The rover 75 engine is bomb proof. Sadly the new ones (are they called common rail?) have a poor rep.  Coupled with the particulate and I don't think I would want one

7 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Good points dipsy. The Prius is favoured by mini cab drivers so I've been in a few.  Milk floats as you say and they seem to creak. Maybe it is just that there is no engine noise to mask noise. Toyota do the hybrid almost across the range now and some of them look quite nicely styled

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thanks swissy.  All the minicabs in London seem to have gone over the the Prius?, one of the Toyota hybrids, so I would guess they are reliable and efficient round town.  When you say not good on a motorway, what do you mean?  Is it economy or distance ?  

Maybe a noddy question but how do you see engine technology changing in five years?

I like the Prius after 2009, and the 2016 one is better. Very smooth, quiet and economical round town. On the motorway, they are ok cruising but accelerating at speed streches the drive train a bit. Creaky old taxis have probably done 400k miles..... 

I'm expecting multiple plug-in hybrids with 60 mile + electric range (and thus requiring petrol only on long runs) and mainstream battery cars with <400 miles real range in the next 3-5 years. Eventually the ICE-only  cars will be taxed/phased out.

14 minutes ago, onlyme said:

What make?

A Honda Accord, believe it or not.

09 Reg, 60K on the clock.  Ostensibly well looked after with Full Service History and right type of previous owner, but it's been nothing but trouble so far.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Very nice Dave but what about the engine?  

I think it was 1.4 105 brake.  I have a Seat Leon Cupra 1st gen, which is double that!