• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SirGaz

Banks being a pain

A good start to a Sunday afternoon.

Yesterday I treated myself to a few items on Amazon, I don't buy a lot of stuff but I like to buy good things so the bill was a few quid but well under a grand, all seemed to be going fine, order accepted and processing.

However, I have just had an automated phone call from Santander asking me to confirm my recent transaction by answering some security questions,which I duly did, only to be told that the transaction has been cancelled.

So now I have to go through the whole ordering process again, hoping that the items are still in stock whilst keeping my fingers crossed that Santander doesn't arbitrarily refuse my payment instructions again.

Six weeks ago I bought a cheapish laptop and had to order it three times before Santander confirmed the payment.

This is seriously hacking me off and it's probably a very good thing that there is no one I can phone up on a Sunday as the call would probably involve a lot of swear words and me telling them where they can shove their anti fraud protocols.

Are all banks this piss poor? Is it an impending sign of the collapse of the banking sector?

/Rant off.

I had to call up NatWest to authorise a debit card transaction last week.  The authorisation was very quick and easy but I noted on the call that I had made an identical transaction the previous year (same company, similar amount) and had not had to phone up to have it authorised it.

I would have expected the authorisation level to work the other way round so that my first transaction would have required authorisation and the second one would be green flagged as a result but it worked the other way around.

So maybe fraud is taking off and they're tightening up their procedures.

It's their automated transaction reporting systems - it might be a pain in the arse but it also helps to stop fraud. Mr Dipsy has been contacted twice by Nationwide as they spotted something odd on our account - both cases it was fraud (not me going made on Amazon).

I had this three times in one day last year paying for my car insurance when i changed insurers what should have taken a few minutes took hours but this was an over the phone transaction so another level of suspicion i suppose..a pain in the backside but i`m in the better to be safe than sorry camp 

Some may recall Abbey National, one of a host of Building Societies that floated around the early 90's. They were a basket case and consistently ranked lowest for customer service and satisfaction. They were taken over by Satander in 2004. The Satander UK operation is based on Abbey....

There's probably been a significant hike in card fraud over the last 18 months or so.  The banks never release this information so this sort of '2nd order effect' information is as close as you'll get.

54 minutes ago, NTB said:

Some may recall Abbey National, one of a host of Building Societies that floated around the early 90's. They were a basket case and consistently ranked lowest for customer service and satisfaction. They were taken over by Satander in 2004. The Satander UK operation is based on Abbey....

I knew a guy that was quite senior in the Abbey.  He was a major cokehead and had a well known (i.e. everyone in the organisation) nickname based on that habit.  Always helped explain their pisspoor customer service to me.... :Jumping:

55 minutes ago, NTB said:

I had experience of Abbey in the 1990s and they were absolute shit. One reason I would never use Santander.

1 hour ago, NTB said:

And what's more they're based in Liverpool, from the accent I hear. So that's another level of pain in the arse customer service representatives you sometime have to deal with.

I wrote and complained once, their reply told me if I was dissatisfied to go to another bank!

4 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

And what's more they're based in Liverpool, from the accent I hear. So that's another level of pain in the arse customer service representatives you sometime have to deal with.

I wrote and complained once, their reply told me if I was dissatisfied to go to another bank!

That will be Girobank (as was).