• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Rip Off Shite Britain

OK I buy a shed online, they take a week longer than promised to deliver.

I book a local joiner to assemble shed when I'm away on holiday.

Come home to find the quality of the shed to be cheap shite and a fuck up by the local joiner whilst assembling shite shed.

Previously (a couple of weeks back) Id asked for a local builders to quote me for some building work and a new kitchen and they totally fucked up at the quote stage.

Oh and today we've been in all fucking day waiting for Currys to deliver and install a new fucking washing machine. I ordered this 10 days back...

Is it here and installed? Is it fuck :PissedOff:

I spent the late 90s /early noughties doing up a house whilst living in it, then moving on to another. Did it about 3 times. This was in London.

All the trades i used were completely spot on. Plasterers sparks chippies roofer gas.

15 years later I'm now back in native  nth Dorset and without exception the trades down here are absolute shite.

Picky, unreliable, aloof, expensive, twats. 

9 minutes ago, NTB said:

Cheap sheds are intrinsically shite, no getting around that. Even the good (expensive) ones are not actually good, just not quite an insult to the death of a tree. The only way to have good is to build one yourself or have someone do it for you but that is too spendy for most people.

I'm surprised at you choosing a joiner to assemble a shed and even more surprised that they screwed it up. What did they do?

Oddly enough, one of the things I'm doing this week is assembling a large shed for someone. It's a shitty cheap one and I'm expecting it to be a wobbly pain in the arse.

Lap board. 4 be 2. You're done.

Ive just made a gate this weekend Treated timber. 80cm x 185cm. £27.

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

I spent the late 90s /early noughties doing up a house whilst living in it, then moving on to another. Did it about 3 times. This was in London.

All the trades i used were completely spot on. Plasterers sparks chippies roofer gas.

15 years later I'm now back in native  nth Dorset and without exception the trades down here are absolute shite.

There are still, believe it or not, some right daahmond geezer trades people in londonistan. 

Just now, One percent said:

There are still, believe it or not, some right daahmond geezer trades people in londonistan. 

I'll bet. Never had a problem with any of them. Competition i guess.

8 minutes ago, NTB said:

I'm surprised at you choosing a joiner to assemble a shed and even more surprised that they screwed it up. What did they do?

Not sure why your surprised at getting a joiner to do some easy woodwork?

He fucked up by instead of sending me text to say the base was very uneven and no can do until the base is sorted......

instead he assembled it and propped it up with various bits of wood and tile on the sunken flags FFS

7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I'll bet. Never had a problem with any of them. Competition i guess.

And that there is something intrinsically honest about proper east end cockernies 

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Not sure why your surprised at getting a joiner to do some easy woodwork?

Because it's not even woodwork, just flat pack assembly.  A (proper) joiner is over qualified for the job. I'm surprised he even took it on. Sorting out a level base is the only thing that can (sometimes) require more than moderate diy skills.

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

Because it's not even woodwork, just flat pack assembly.  A (proper) joiner is over qualified for the job. I'm surprised he even took it on. Sorting out a level base is the only thing that can (sometimes) require more than moderate diy skills.

I'm really good at flat pack like from Ikea but when the shed was delivered flat packed the panels were taller than I could reach and heavier than I could move.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I'm really good at flat pack like from Ikea but when the shed was delivered flat packed the panels were taller than I could reach and heavier than I could move.

I'm not trying to suggest that you should have done it yourself, merely that a decent handyman (if you can find one) would be able to do it just fine and probably cheaper than a joiner. 

Anyway, is he going to finish it? In your situation, most likely all you need to do is lift the shed up and put some 3*3 fence posts under it using some slate to level the posts.

Edited by NTB

1 minute ago, NTB said:

I'm not trying to suggest that you should have done it yourself, merely that a decent handyman (if you can find one) would be able to do it just fine and probably cheaper than a joiner. 

no worries

49 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Haven’t you got a boyf? “Ask not what your carpenter can do for you, but what you can do for carpentry.”

2 hours ago, shindigger said:

without exception the trades down here are absolute shite.

Thought it was just me. Similar in North Devon. Can't be arsed to quote, stand-offish if they do come and feckin expensive. Found a good plasterer who charges an honest day rate and I provide materials. Also found a decent heating engineer to look after our boilers.  It took a lot of work to find them, and a bad experience with a cowboy heating engineer but we got there in the end.

I do almost everything myself, it's the only way. If in doubt Youtube shows you how.

Oh another thing about the cost of stuff in the UK.

As summer is nearly upon us I was looking around for new Birkenstocks (a type of flip flop) and fashion trainers. In the UK they both retail around £50. Whilst in Portugal I purchased Birkenstock type flip flops for 15 euro and fashion trainers for 20 euro.

Food was also much cheaper in Portugal with an abundance of fresh fruit, veg, fish and bread all dirt cheap and vastly superior quality to even Waitrose in the UK. I remember a 6 pack of orange cost just 25 cents!

The UK is a vastly overpriced shithole!

13 minutes ago, JackieO said:

As summer is nearly upon us I was looking around for new Birkenstocks (a type of flip flop) and fashion trainers. In the UK they both retail around £50. Whilst in Portugal I purchased Birkenstock type flip flops for 15 euro and fashion trainers for 20 euro.

Food was also much cheaper in Portugal with an abundance of fresh fruit, veg, fish and bread all dirt cheap and vastly superior quality to even Waitrose in the UK. I remember a 6 pack of orange cost just 25 cents!

Climate helps obviously but lots of small growers and not dominated by big agri.

50 minutes ago, JackieO said:

At the risk of sounding like your personal advisor, my wife buys Birkenstocks from a German website for a fraction of the UK price. Can't give you a link but you should be able to find one via google.

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

They do grow oranges in Portugal

What was the price of Cathedral City Mature cheddar cheese ?

£20.40 / kg in Continente in Portugal compared to £7.14 / kg in Morrisons in UK

46 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

They do grow oranges in Portugal

What was the price of Cathedral City Mature cheddar cheese ?

£20.40 / kg in Continente in Portugal compared to £7.14 / kg in Morrisons in UK

The Portuguese make brilliant cheese. You really shouldn't be buying a UK cheese substitute.

But the cost of proper English bacon will make your wallet weep.

14 hours ago, JackieO said:

OK I buy a shed online, they take a week longer than promised to deliver.

I book a local joiner to assemble shed when I'm away on holiday.

Come home to find the quality of the shed to be cheap shite and a fuck up by the local joiner whilst assembling shite shed.

Previously (a couple of weeks back) Id asked for a local builders to quote me for some building work and a new kitchen and they totally fucked up at the quote stage.

Oh and today we've been in all fucking day waiting for Currys to deliver and install a new fucking washing machine. I ordered this 10 days back...

Is it here and installed? Is it fuck :PissedOff:

try these next time .... http://www.beastsheds.co.uk/

My shed was a cheapo one from B&Q. It looks nice but it took a lot of filler, wedges etc on my part to get it to look anything like the pictures. 

I'm not a big strong bloke but I did it all myself, the only bit I had trouble with was getting the roof up ,which I had to do by pulling it up from the ground with ratchet straps as it was a two-man job really. 

The difficulty of getting tradesmen in the UK (and the ease of watching Youtube instructional videos) makes me tend to try doing everything myself first before engaging someone. 

I do think this forum might distort an uptick in DIY, off the back of internet resources, like Youtube, as stuff like trades really don't seem to have been impacted that much relative to other sectors where the internet has resulted in a huge amount of business loss.

The Australian owner of Homebase, which is in the process of rebranding to Bunnings, is going much more down the sort of heavy duty DIY market, like Home Depot in the US. I've spent years pondering a UK retail chain aimed at the more self-sufficient/reliant bigger project type DIYer and always concluded it would simply not be viable and I'm not convinced enough has changed.

Also I wouldn't pay Currys to setup a washing machine. It's really easy to do, just watch a YouTube video on it. I'd be really worried that the Currys / Knowhow idiots do it wrong and flood my kitchen out.

13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I do think this forum might distort an uptick in DIY, off the back of internet resources, like Youtube, as stuff like trades really don't seem to have been impacted that much relative to other sectors where the internet has resulted in a huge amount of business loss.

The Australian owner of Homebase, which is in the process of rebranding to Bunnings, is going much more down the sort of heavy duty DIY market, like Home Depot in the US. I've spent years pondering a UK retail chain aimed at the more self-sufficient/reliant bigger project type DIYer and always concluded it would simply not be viable and I'm not convinced enough has changed.

I thought that was the customer base that Wickes aimed for. A sort of DIY/trade crossover.