• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

starving nurses

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Someone talks to someone that had talked to someone... It's hardly the best source of information...

In other news I talked to someone who talked to someone that is a staff nurse and they their finance company had bought a new BMW. A NEW BMW.

FTFY

28 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I know in my local Hospital many of the Nurses could do with skipping a few meals.

Quite I work in a hospital and it seems a high percentage of nurses and particularly young nurses are obese.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

how much do staff nurses get paid?

Oh fuck, weve done this on on the other site. Painfully.

A Nurse with 10 years experience and no particular effort will be in the top 30% of earners.

You also need to take this 'Ive come of a 12h shift' thing with a pinch of salt.

Most people will assume 5 x 12h.

Its bnot, its 12h x 3.

As Ive mentioned on the other site,. a friend nails her work with 3 x 12h shift + an old 4h OT.

She pulls in just under 40kyear. Plus a very good pension.

SHe ahs the odd bit of hard, difficult work but most of the time its  wathcing over, letting the HCW do the grunt work. Alhough to avoid ending up like half her work mate mate, my mate does make sure she walks around.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

how much do staff nurses get paid?

She’ll be on a decent income and she is obviously working nights because someone is providing free overnight childcare.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

She’ll be on a decent income and she is obviously working nights because someone is providing free childcare.

And tax credits. Don’t forget the tax credits 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Oh fuck, weve done this on on the other site. Painfully.

A Nurse with 10 years experience and no particular effort will be in the top 30% of earners.

You also need to take this 'Ive come of a 12h shift' thing with a pinch of salt.

Most people will assume 5 x 12h.

Its bnot, its 12h x 3.

As Ive mentioned on the other site,. a friend nails her work with 3 x 12h shift + an old 4h OT.

She pulls in just under 40kyear. Plus a very good pension.

SHe ahs the odd bit of hard, difficult work but most of the time its  wathcing over, letting the HCW do the grunt work. Alhough to avoid ending up like half her work mate mate, my mate does make sure she walks around.

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

IMO this will be the kind of person who takes 3 foreign holidays a year so prefers to feed the kids from food banks. 

Pretty much this.  No way they should be using food banks.

It isn't quite the point of the OP, but just to make it explicit because it never is made explicit.

• Far more people make use of food banks than did 30 years ago, because there weren't any 30 years ago.
  • The more food banks exist, the more people will use them
  • If you offer people free food, they'll take it.
  • No matter if they're rich or poor.
  • Very often eligibility for this sort of thing is very broad, eg, it might be 'single parents' or 'made redundant in the last 5 years'.  (I've got a mate that was made redundant about 3 years ago.  He signed on for a few weeks just to get 'what he was owed' then was back in work on £50k+ in a new job.  He still gets all sorts of perks -- and he makes sure the family take advantage of them).

Posted (edited)

She's a single parent with 2 kids - of course she'll be skint.

What exactly is our ex-Communard saying that we should do? Pay nurses more?

Edited by JoeDavola

So it's a third hand anecdote which we are expected to take notice of, because a tame BBC parson (with the 'correct' views) has to keep virtue-signalling in order to justify his media personality status. 

I listened to Rev. Coles on R3 the other day and he came across as a decent clergyman with reasonable views on the role of the church, but why do these people never seem able to get away from lib-dem politics? 

23 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

So it's a third hand anecdote which we are expected to take notice of, because a tame BBC parson (with the 'correct' views) has to keep virtue-signalling in order to justify his media personality status. 

I listened to Rev. Coles on R3 the other day and he came across as a decent clergyman with reasonable views on the role of the church, but why do these people never seem able to get away from lib-dem politics? 

He may be decent but hes naive or spinning.

Maybe he should lobby for religuous orgs to pay rates?

Just now, spygirl said:

He may be decent but hes naive or spinning.

Maybe he should lobby for religuous orgs to pay rates?

It's been said before but the so-called BBC only allows clergy who conform to liberal values. I can't ever recall seeing a conservative evangelical on the screen. 

I wish the So-Called BBC would concentrate more on clergyman like Canon Andrew White, the vicar of Baghdad, who it strikes me is living out the true example of our saviour. But I guess being non-gay, having Tory views and not being involved in dancing programmes sort of rules him out. 

2 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

I agree,if indeed this story is true I would be inclined to think this person was an extreme tight-arse.

I have worked with plenty of people that would never ever pay for a newspaper and would scavenge discarded ones and also steal milk and tea.

It was nothing to do with them being poor they were just cunts.

I worked with one who, amongst other things, boiled the kettle last thing so he could fill his thermos flask and avoid boiling his kettle at home.

2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

He certainly likes attention. He once lied about having HIV to get some.

Posted (edited)

The holy man must have queried it in his mind as I doubt he's earning that much different to a staff nurse.  I do have some sympathy for some of the jobs that some nurses have to do but be realistic if they need food banks then so do all the minimum wage workers as well.

If its austerity propaganda I think it's barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by twocents

8 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Someone talks to someone that had talked to someone... It's hardly the best source of information...

In other news I talked to someone who talked to someone that is a staff nurse and they had bought a new BMW. A NEW BMW.

Was that my husbands cousin? Seriously, she's a nurse, single parent and was flashing her convertable BMW all over facebook. Bloody nuts!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I worked with one who, amongst other things, boiled the kettle last thing so he could fill his thermos flask and avoid boiling his kettle at home.

I don't recall us working together Frank 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, twocents said:

The Reverend must have queried it in his mind as I doubt he's earning that much different to a staff nurse.  I do have some sympathy for some of the jobs that some nurses have to do but be realistic if they need food banks then so do all the minimum wage workers as well.

If its austerity propaganda I think it's barking up the wrong tree.

CofE clergy don't earn much but do usually get a rent free house. As a gentleman of the gay persuasion he doesn't have children or a wife to support; even if he did, I think the church has scholarships for boarding schools in some cases. 

IMO only a few people genuinely need food banks. I can't see that anyone on a regular income, even a minimum wage, should have to resort to them if they plan carefully, but it's taboo to say such a thing because one is simply branded as an uncaring evil Tory who doesn't know what real poverty is etc etc etc. 

I also think a cultural change is ocurring; when once food banks were thought of as being only for charity cases, they are now becoming just another 'benefit'. When the Welfare State started there was resistance from some people, especially older people, to taking benefits but eventually it became established as the norm; I doubt if there are many people in the UK now who are 'too proud' to take benefits. 

The good reverend's tweet would not have such an impact if it read 'I met someone who met a nurse who has to survive on tax credits. TAX CREDITS'. 

Edited by Austin Allegro