• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Running a spur off RCD

Looking to the dosbods massive with help with running a spur.

i have an RDC socket in garage and I want to put a freezer in there. I did use the rcd but it tripped and I lost all my food. 

So, I want to run a switched spur. Am I ok to d9 this, if so, how. 

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Looking to the dosbods massive with help with running a spur.

i have an RDC socket in garage and I want to put a freezer in there. I did use the rcd but it tripped and I lost all my food. 

So, I want to run a switched spur. Am I ok to d9 this, if so, how. 

Just swap out the RCD socket and then use a plug in RCD device with any power tools, or whatever, you fancy chopping up the mains lead on in the garage.

3 hours ago, SNACR said:

Just swap out the RCD socket and then use a plug in RCD device with any power tools, or whatever, you fancy chopping up the mains lead on in the garage.

Cheers.  I want it on a separate socket as some idiot will unplug it to use something else and then forget to plug it back in. 

Live to live neutral to neutral earth to earth then connect to the new socket (switch off supply before you start :D )

Or for the comprehensive explanation https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-add-more-electrical-sockets/CC_npcart_400163.art

The other option is to put in a standard double and use a plug in rcd

Edited by Long time lurking

I suppose the question is, is the garage on its own circuit, with multiple sockets on a ring with its own fuse, is it on a spur with its own fuse, or is it already a spur off a ring without a fuse and only the single socket?

I suppose that means:

• If the extension of mains to the garage has already been done 'properly' then you're probably safe, and you can readily tell if/that you're not going to be overloading the cabling.
  • If the extension of mains to the garage is just a spur that's been hacked into an existing ring then you've got to work out if you're going to be overloading that or not.

Or you could just throw it together -- so long as you're not using the socket for 'very much' then you'll be fine.  Then the problem of whether you'll burn the house down can be held by the next owner of the place, who, for some reason, is running 3kw loads continuously.  But not your problem.

Edited by dgul

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Live to live neutral to neutral earth to earth then connect to the new socket (switch off supply before you start :D )

Or for the comprehensive explanation https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-add-more-electrical-sockets/CC_npcart_400163.art

The other option is to put in a standard double and use a plug in rcd

Ta. I’m not sure why I need the comfort blanket of asking on dosbods, I’ve done loads of wiring. I did manage to electrocute myself when six months pregnant though o.O

ill go and get the stuff.  If I don’t report back, you know what’s happened. 

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

Cheers.  I want it on a separate socket as some idiot will unplug it to use something else and then forget to plug it back in. 

Just put in two singles and make one a fused one, like you use for wall heaters with the fridge hard-wired into it then make the remaining one a single RCD protected socket.

Edited by SNACR

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Just put in two singles and make one a fused one, like you use for wall heaters with the fridge hard-wired into it then make the remaining one a single RCD protected socket.

Cheers. That makes more sense. I’m guessing that running off an rcd is the same as running off a normal socket? 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Cheers. That makes more sense. I’m guessing that running off an rcd is the same as running off a normal socket? 

Yes. Will have to swap the twin pattress box for two singles, straightforward as will usually be surface mount in a garage but they're cheap enough. 

With that option it keeps the existing wiring intact and won't look like a DIY add on.

Edited by SNACR

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Yes. Will have to swap the twin pattress box for two singles, straightforward as will usually be surface mount in a garage but they're cheap enough. 

With that option it keeps the existing wiring intact and won't look like a DIY add on.

The rdc is a single socket.  I’m going to have to run a separate socket, but having it as a fused spare makes a lot of sense. 

3 hours ago, Green Devil said:

All sockets and lights should be rcd protected to meet regs. You should investigate why the freezer is tripping not remove the protection😨

Idiot cousin builder used the rcd socket when I wasn’t there and didn’t plug the bloody thing back in. 

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:00, One percent said:

Idiot cousin builder used the rcd socket when I wasn’t there and didn’t plug the bloody thing back in. 

Why don't you use a 2 or 3 way plug-in socket adapter, plug the freezer into one side and slap gaffer tape over it. The other socket or two would be free for other appliances. No wiring needed. Job done.

Edited by the gardener

2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Why don't you use a 2 or 3 way plug-in socket adapter, plug the freezer into one side and slap gaffer tape over it. The other socket or two would be free for other appliances. No wiring needed. Job done.

Already done. :)

not bad for a woman. Who needs a man?  :)

45B9F580-BA36-4A22-8363-19321BD6733A.jpeg

8 minutes ago, the gardener said:

The sockets aren't level. One is metal and the other is plastic. Who did your grouting? Blind Pugh?

Just kidding 😀

Yeah, the different levels annoyed me too.  But, to get them level, I would have needed to break into the metal back box.  Much easier to feed the wire through the same hole as the existing wire and to break into the conduit. It’s only in the garage so aesthetics not too much of an issue. 

I was well pleased with my drilling into brick. Not done that before.