• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Web tech help needed

Sorry to ask  - been struggling with this for a little while now and keep coming up against brick walls (otherwise known as 'it is not our problem')

I have a domain hosted with 123-reg and a website with shopify which is set up as a multi vendor marketplace.

The problem is that shopify will create it's own page title so for my vendors I end up with something like www.myshop.co.uk/pages/vendor?id=123/regent

Which is clearly not a lot of use unless the vendor uses it as a link. Not a lot of good on an order form for example.

I was trying to set up a subdomain - i.e. regent.myshop.co.uk and point it to the specific page in the website but whilst 123-reg will let me redirect a domain to anywhere I fancy, it doesn't let me redirect a subdomain. I don't think I can set up a cname record because it seems that they can only point to a home page.

I think there may be a way to put some script in the home page that detects how the user got there and can redirect but that level of coding is beyond me.

Shopify and 123-reg seem to be blaming each other.

Any ideas? Would I be best changing domain host to one that allowed subdomain redirects and does anyone know which provider allows this?

Sorry for such a dull post but google is not helping me here!

Depends how tech savvy you are. Hosting with 123-reg or similar "cheap" companies is rarely worth it if you're even a little bit technical, because they're severely restricted and it gets frustrating.

ANyway, you could use an .htaccess redirect:

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/redirects/setting-up-a-301-permanent-redirect-via-htaccess

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/shopify_long_URL_here/(.*)$
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.yournewURL.com/%1 [R=301,NC]

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Depends how tech savvy you are.

Not very. I can do enough to keep all the plates spinning (and I can write snake in basic) but once you get much deeper I become easily confused!

I have about 20 domains so 123reg works quite well - most of them just redirect to stores or handle emails so haven't needed anything better until now.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Depends how tech savvy you are. Hosting with 123-reg or similar "cheap" companies is rarely worth it if you're even a little bit technical, because they're severely restricted and it gets frustrating.

ANyway, you could use an .htaccess redirect:

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/redirects/setting-up-a-301-permanent-redirect-via-htaccess

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/shopify_long_URL_here/(.*)$
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.yournewURL.com/%1 [R=301,NC]

Good call but doubt he has access to htaccess on shopify. 

Unless shopify has some sort of multi-tenancy solution where you can enter in the different domains of your venders into shopify's dashboard and they handle the routing you're probably stuffed.

Edited by gibbon

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

Was going to suggest moving to a new registrar, but even if you managed to get a sub-domain to point to a shopify url for one of your venders, all the links on that shopify page won't know about your sub-domain. Once a visitor clicks them they'll end up at www.myshop.co.uk/pages/vendor?id=123/regent/page-2 or whatever

I am not really fussed on what shows at the top of the page once they have got there. Just need a shortcut to get them there in the first place!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am not really fussed on what shows at the top of the page once they have got there. Just need a shortcut to get them there in the first place!

Well a change of registrar will (prob) do the trick then as sounds like it's just a simple re-direct you're looking for.

Edited by gibbon

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

Well a change of registrar will (prob) do the trick then. 

Hopefully. I think I will just buy a cheapo domain from a different registrar and play around before having the whole grief of changing registrar with the actual domain.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Hopefully. I think I will just buy a cheapo domain from a different registrar and play around before having the whole grief of changing registrar with the actual domain.

Try to make sure the redirect they provide is a permanent redirect (301?) for the google juice

Edited by gibbon

I missed this earlier as I was talking a bit of break.

When you say "my vendors", I'm not quite sure what this means; I didn't think Shopify was a multi-vendor solution and you'd therefore need multiple Shopify instances in order to manage that.

When I did some recent competitor research it was clear to me that Shopify do indeed have a bargain basement £30 a month offering, or whatever, it's very limited. To get into more advanced stuff needs their top version which is around £1,500 per month.

A lot of the cheaper hosts don't permit sub-domains. They don't want you setting up multiple websites under one domain. They'd prefer you to buy separate packages for each.

Also, in terms of DNS hosting - some hosts, and IIRC 1 & 1 is one such host, will remove services (for instance, email) associated with a domain if you move the name servers elsewhere. You have no option but to use their name servers. Which prevents you from using, say, OpenSRS as the domain "control panel". Not sure about 123Reg.

If you had, for instance, a "reseller package" with a host then you could point all the domains at it, and for each, use the redirect options. However that won't mask the actual URL from the user and still looks naff. They'll type in a domain name expecting to get a particular "shop" and will end up in part of another.

The only way to keep the domain name in the address bar would be to modify the Shopify configuration - for example to change its behaviour based on the domain being requested. In Microsoft's IIS this would be called a "host header" which basically means "for incoming requests for domain A, point silently to the code in domain B" but you won't have access to that on the server.

If you wanted to go with the sub-domains option then check out OpenSRS's features, they're pretty comprehensive. But they do have to become the registrar of record to use their facilities, too.

You do have another option of running your own DNS which isn't complicated but is probably overkill for this. It introduces another overhead to look after.

So, setting up separate Shopify shops, one per domain, would seem to be the resolution? Apologies if I missed something, trying to catch up on a lot.

10 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I missed this earlier as I was talking a bit of break.

When you say "my vendors", I'm not quite sure what this means; I didn't think Shopify was a multi-vendor solution and you'd therefore need multiple Shopify instances in order to manage that.

When I did some recent competitor research it was clear to me that Shopify do indeed have a bargain basement £30 a month offering, or whatever, it's very limited. To get into more advanced stuff needs their top version which is around £1,500 per month.

A lot of the cheaper hosts don't permit sub-domains. They don't want you setting up multiple websites under one domain. They'd prefer you to buy separate packages for each.

Also, in terms of DNS hosting - some hosts, and IIRC 1 & 1 is one such host, will remove services (for instance, email) associated with a domain if you move the name servers elsewhere. You have no option but to use their name servers. Which prevents you from using, say, OpenSRS as the domain "control panel". Not sure about 123Reg.

If you had, for instance, a "reseller package" with a host then you could point all the domains at it, and for each, use the redirect options. However that won't mask the actual URL from the user and still looks naff. They'll type in a domain name expecting to get a particular "shop" and will end up in part of another.

The only way to keep the domain name in the address bar would be to modify the Shopify configuration - for example to change its behaviour based on the domain being requested. In Microsoft's IIS this would be called a "host header" which basically means "for incoming requests for domain A, point silently to the code in domain B" but you won't have access to that on the server.

If you wanted to go with the sub-domains option then check out OpenSRS's features, they're pretty comprehensive. But they do have to become the registrar of record to use their facilities, too.

You do have another option of running your own DNS which isn't complicated but is probably overkill for this. It introduces another overhead to look after.

So, setting up separate Shopify shops, one per domain, would seem to be the resolution? Apologies if I missed something, trying to catch up on a lot.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

There is a shopify plugin that I am using to create a 'marketplace' site that works quite well. Shopify is indeed quite basic, but it works well for me most of the time, and there is usually a workaround or app to solve anything I can't fix.

Thus isn't going live for a few months yet so I still have time (when I can find some) to get a host that will allow subdomains - haven't tried the one referred to earlier yet so fingers crossed it will work.