• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Shipping now in the sights of the emissions lobby

Recommended Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43696900

The global shipping industry is facing calls to follow the example of the car industry and cut its carbon emissions. 

The International Maritime Organisation's environment committee is meeting in London this week to try to agree a global plan for reducing emissions levels. 

Without a clean-up there are warnings that shipping could account for almost a fifth of carbon emissions by 2050.

Container ships use fuel that has 3,500 times more sulphur than car diesel.

International shipping carries about 90% of world trade but there has been no regulation of carbon emissions.

 

the last bit is the key. They have been exempt. Allowing the shipping of cheap crap stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cost of running those things is eye watering..  fuel costs can top £100k per day.

You would think they'd already be making them pretty efficient? o.O

How much of an issue are the sulphur compounds if you are at sea?  Don't they just get adsorbed back into the water or dispursed in the atmosphere?   

Not making a point..  more asking the question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

If only we could come up with something more environmentally friendly.

We could call it, I don't know, how about Tea Clipper?

We shouldn’t be growing our food in foreign lands, or making our stuff overseas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post, but been reading this forum since its inception. Keep up the good work !

I know about this business. Bunker oil is pretty horrible stuff, but is cheap fuel. The cynic in me wonders if the recent attempts to demonise diesel cars is because they're gonna need the fuel for ships ! In 2020 ships are going to be banned from burning HFO (heavy fuel oil) unless they fit an SO2 scrubber. This basically creates a dilute sulphuric acid using sea water and it's dumped back in the sea. These scrubbers are very expensive. The shipping industry is absolutely on its arse as well !

I do wonder though - what happens to all the bunker oil if ships don't burn it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's why I always insist on YORKSHIRE tea.

Sadly, even the tea crops of Yorkshire have been off-shored to places like India. You would think that they would have learned their lessons from call centres  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to cost. Similarly those ferry trips are going to be more expensive too.

Probably a bit too late to reverse globalisation.

The greens would rather leave oil in the ground and return to sails. And caves!

How much of GDP is down to stuff we don't really need to be doing and the influence of zealots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

First post, but been reading this forum since its inception. Keep up the good work !

I know about this business. Bunker oil is pretty horrible stuff, but is cheap fuel. The cynic in me wonders if the recent attempts to demonise diesel cars is because they're gonna need the fuel for ships ! In 2020 ships are going to be banned from burning HFO (heavy fuel oil) unless they fit an SO2 scrubber. This basically creates a dilute sulphuric acid using sea water and it's dumped back in the sea. These scrubbers are very expensive. The shipping industry is absolutely on its arse as well !

I do wonder though - what happens to all the bunker oil if ships don't burn it...

I think they can crack heavy oils into lighter oils light kerosene and gasoline. There's also talk of ships running on LNG or LPG.

I live on the south coast and there's a hell of a lot of shipping going up and down the Channel. On a sunny day you can see a brown streak hanging above the shipping lanes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who watched that shite on channel 4 tonight about trucks emissions ?

Old trucks are bad, new trucks are good blah blah. 

Nobody joining the dots on the shit people buy requiring all the trucks to deliver it. And then take it away for recycling* a month or two later..

 

* Read as mainly burnt at a waste incineration centre !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I think they can crack heavy oils into lighter oils light kerosene and gasoline. There's also talk of ships running on LNG or LPG.

I live on the south coast and there's a hell of a lot of shipping going up and down the Channel. On a sunny day you can see a brown streak hanging above the shipping lanes. 

I'm not sure how far they can crack it tbh. I'm told it's the crap of the crap that they burn.

Indeed, I spend a bit if time on ships and often look out at the brown haze left behind. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and clean up the emissions but we really should look at whether we need to transport so much stuff about. The powers that be aren't arsed though cos they want the $$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

I'm not sure how far they can crack it tbh. I'm told it's the crap of the crap that they burn.

Indeed, I spend a bit if time on ships and often look out at the brown haze left behind. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and clean up the emissions but we really should look at whether we need to transport so much stuff about. The powers that be aren't arsed though cos they want the $$$.

Perhaps we need fewer free trade deals and more import taxes to encourage home production.

Who would have thought Trump and Brexit voters were good for the environment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything the twats in charge do is based on money..

The plebs can't even afford a vegetable patch in the UK now so have to burn some fuel whilst driving to the out of town supermarket to buy the veg that's done Christ knows how many 'food miles'

Edited by Iamcynical
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

If only we could come up with something more environmentally friendly.

We could call it, I don't know, how about Tea Clipper?

Cutty Sark:

Capacity:  1,542 Tonnes

 

Modern Container Ship:

Capacity: 197,317 Tonnes

 

Global Demand Per Year: 281,000,000 tonnes

 

Gonna need some bigger boats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iamcynical said:

I do wonder though - what happens to all the bunker oil if ships don't burn it...

Probably put it with all the lead they have to take out of petrol before they can sell it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to wind a SJW up badly - as I did last week - say something like "Trump is the greenest President for the past 50 years.  His trade war with China and bringing production back to the US will massively cut down shipping and pollution, as the US factories will have to be compliant and the Chinese ones were normally not.  People will also stop buying plastic tat as it will become more expensive.  It's great isn't it - wish Obama had been as pro environmental".

 

They tend to go red and lose it.  It is VERY funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

It's going to cost. Similarly those ferry trips are going to be more expensive too.

Probably a bit too late to reverse globalisation.

The greens would rather leave oil in the ground and return to sails. And caves!

How much of GDP is down to stuff we don't really need to be doing and the influence of zealots.

They actually have developed sails for freighters - huge kite sails and spinning sails like giant tower fans. They give about 10-15% fuel saving which is quite significant given the amount of fuel freighters burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.