• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Local elections

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/16157112.Rothwell_standing_as_indie_candidate_to___39_give_business_a_voice__39_/?ref=fbshr

It's interesting who our labour candidate is.

He is standing as an independent in Chadderton South where he will be up against Labour’s outspoken candidate and former cabinet member Arooj Shah, who lost her seat in 2016 to another independent contender, Aftab Hussain, in the St Mary's ward.

Meanwhile, Ms Shah, who works in Oldham West and Royton MP Jim McMahon's office, described her opponent Mr Rothwell as "a man of dignity".

She said: "I think this time, there will be a different dynamic than in 2016 in St Mary's, where I believe a lot of misogyny influenced the outcome.

"I am hoping Chadderton South will be a breath of fresh air in that respect."

results 2016

St Mary's - results
Election Candidate Party Votes %  
pixel.gif Aftab Hussain Independent 2190 49% Elected
pixel.gif Arooj Shah Labour 1801 40% Not elected
pixel.gif Donna Elaine Goodleman United Kingdom Independence Party 266 6% Not elected
pixel.gif David Andrew Atherton Conservative 114 3% Not elected
pixel.gif Miranda Meadowcroft Green Party 68 2% Not elected
pixel.gif Angie Farrell Liberal Democrats 64 1%

Not elected

Edited by sarahbell

It will be interesting.

Chadderton South has a slightly older age profile than that of Oldham and has a largely white population (91.1%). Since 2001 this ward has become more diverse, and has seen some growth in the percentage of non-white residents (8.9% from 3.8%).

St. Mary’s is characterised by an extremely young population profile, with 31.2% of residents aged 0-15. The working age population is increasing, and is likely to continue to increase as larger cohorts of young people reach adulthood.
This area is predominantly South Asian, with Pakistani (49.1%) the largest ethnic group, up from 35.1% in 2001.

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/16157112.Rothwell_standing_as_indie_candidate_to___39_give_business_a_voice__39_/?ref=fbshr

It's interesting who our labour candidate is.

He is standing as an independent in Chadderton South where he will be up against Labour’s outspoken candidate and former cabinet member Arooj Shah, who lost her seat in 2016 to another independent contender, Aftab Hussain, in the St Mary's ward.

Meanwhile, Ms Shah, who works in Oldham West and Royton MP Jim McMahon's office, described her opponent Mr Rothwell as "a man of dignity".

She said: "I think this time, there will be a different dynamic than in 2016 in St Mary's, where I believe a lot of misogyny influenced the outcome.

"I am hoping Chadderton South will be a breath of fresh air in that respect."

results 2016

St Mary's - results
Election Candidate Party Votes %  
pixel.gif Aftab Hussain Independent 2190 49% Elected
pixel.gif Arooj Shah Labour 1801 40% Not elected
pixel.gif Donna Elaine Goodleman United Kingdom Independence Party 266 6% Not elected
pixel.gif David Andrew Atherton Conservative 114 3% Not elected
pixel.gif Miranda Meadowcroft Green Party 68 2% Not elected
pixel.gif Angie Farrell Liberal Democrats 64 1%

Not elected

How could there have been any misogyny?

The only candidate that I could say 100% was male got just 3%.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I assume it's the white voters in St Mary's who are misogynists

St. Mary’s is characterised by an extremely young population profile, with 31.2% of residents aged 0-15. The working age population is increasing, and is likely to continue to increase as larger cohorts of young people reach adulthood.
This area is predominantly South Asian, with Pakistani (49.1%) the largest ethnic group, up from 35.1% in 2001.

51 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Well, the data makes it look racist -- despite a fairly mixed racial profile to the candidates, those of one specific colour gained 90% of the votes.

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, the data makes it look racist -- despite a fairly mixed racial profile to the candidates, those of one specific colour gained 90% of the votes.

They vote for people like them while we vote for anyone.

It's like playing football with your side passing to anybody but the opposition only pass to themselves.

Just now, XswampyX said:

They vote for people like them while we vote for anyone.

It's like playing football with your side passing to anybody but the opposition only pass to themselves.

Yes. Which is why I think London will now always have a Muslim mayor. The only way conservatives could win now would be to put up their own Muslim candidate.

Is it time for white blokes to vote for the white bloke, no matter what rosette they wear?

It is possibly the only defence.

http://ukcensusdata.com/a-e05000735/b-ks201ew

Ethnic Group (KS201EW)

Scope: All usual residents

This table provides information about the ethnic group of the usual resident population of England and Wales as at census day, 27 March 2011.

All categories: Ethnic group 13954
White: English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British 4458
White: Irish 59
White: Gypsy or Irish Traveller 16
White: Other White 213
Mixed/multiple ethnic group: White and Black Caribbean 125
Mixed/multiple ethnic group: White and Black African 55
Mixed/multiple ethnic group: White and Asian 89
Mixed/multiple ethnic group: Other Mixed 38
Asian/Asian British: Indian 83
Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 6817
Asian/Asian British: Bangladeshi 1243
Asian/Asian British: Chinese 36
Asian/Asian British: Other Asian 334
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: African 194
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: Caribbean 111
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: Other Black 21
Other ethnic group: Arab 24
Other ethnic group: Any other ethnic group 38
White: English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British 31.9478%
White: Irish 0.4228%
White: Gypsy or Irish Traveller 0.1147%
White: Other White 1.5264%
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups: White and Black Caribbean 0.8958%
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups: White and Black African 0.3942%
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups: White and Asian 0.6378%
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups: Other Mixed 0.2723%
Asian/Asian British: Indian 0.5948%
Asian/Asian British: Pakistani 48.8534%
Asian/Asian British: Bangladeshi 8.9078%
Asian/Asian British: Chinese 0.258%
Asian/Asian British: Other Asian 2.3936%
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: African 1.3903%
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: Caribbean 0.7955%
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British: Other Black 0.1505%
Other ethnic group: Arab 0.172%
Other ethnic group: Any other ethnic group 0.2723%

16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The obligatory crap leaflet in red came through the door.

So putting a defibrillator in a school is a great idea because schools are open all year round

Scan_20180422_124446.jpeg

Fuck Lancastrian diet must  be terrible to needa heart zapper in a school.

Completely meaningless anecdote from Spoons intellectual collective political activists is that on the streets and doorsteps C orbyn stance on Russia, Skripals and Douma is popular.

Local issue, well national, really is people are disgusted with Welsh Assembly Government proposals to add more AMs, costing millions, outraged at WAG plans to combine or reduce councils to save money, in truth swapping local representation for more jobs for boys and girls in Cardiff, but more than anything shocked that the First Minister hasn't resigned. The result being they don't want to vote for Labour candidates.

Whether that will change now the FM has announced he is stepping down come Autumn ? Would expect so.

Conservatives are a bucket of cold sick, main thrust being voters believe May will thieve their houses to fund social care. Maybe Wales just hates Tories, but THAT policy has firmly stuck in minds.

" She hasn't got any kids has she ? "

Think the Tories are fucked.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

So putting a defibrillator in a school is a great idea because schools are open all year round

Is burnham trying to model himself on Joe 90?  (Apologies to younger listeners who will not have a clue what I’m on about)

Can't be bothered to vote in ours.

Con's candidate, the only thing I can find is that he contested the result in 2005 and ran a now dissolved property development company for 2 years until recently.

Labour, well, labour...

Liberal, candidate has a degree in expressive dance...

I think there is a green candidate too, but realistically my ward is a 2 horse race between Lib and Lab anyway.

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Can't be bothered to vote in ours.

I think there is a green candidate too, but realistically my ward is a 2 horse race between Lib and Lab anyway.

Please vote. Just not blue or red or yellow.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Fuck Lancastrian diet must  be terrible to needa heart zapper in a school.

Funnily enough, you see some of the best outcomes with defibrillation of heart attacks in schools -- heart attack in the (otherwise) healthy young is rare, but the success rate in those rare occasions is pretty good.  I think heart attack is the most common form of 'natural' death in youngsters that were thought to be healthy, and it is most likely where they're exerting themselves physically, which is very often at school facilities.  I'm broadly in favour of having defibrillators in schools and colleges, even if it costs a bit.

The success rate in the older population is more questionable.  Even if the defibrillation is successful in itself, very often there's an underlying pathology that limits the long-term survival anyway.  Sure, you have to try to resuscitate someone that keels over, but the outcomes aren't as good as are suggested (if outside a medical facility)

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Funnily enough, you see some of the best outcomes with defibrillation of heart attacks in schools -- heart attack in the (otherwise) healthy young is rare, but the success rate in those rare occasions is pretty good.  I think heart attack is the most common form of 'natural' death in youngsters that were thought to be healthy, and it is most likely where they're exerting themselves physically, which is very often at school facilities.  I'm broadly in favour of having defibrillators in schools and colleges, even if it costs a bit.

The success rate in the older population is more questionable.  Even if the defibrillation is successful in itself, very often there's an underlying pathology that limits the long-term survival anyway.  Sure, you have to try to resuscitate someone that keels over, but the outcomes aren't as good as are suggested (if outside a medical facility)

From an article about the GM Mayor saving a life, only 20% of people who have a heart attack outside a hospital survive.

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

If I try  to imagine what a stereotypical lesbian looks like, I pretty much get a picture just like that thumbnail of Andy Burnham.