• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Plastic on beaches

I don't know if this is being repeated nationally in coastal areas or it's just Devon & Cornwall but I have for the past two weeks been getting daily headline news stories about plastic being found on beaches; it's like mass hysteria.

This "story" is typical:

WATCH: A 30-year-old crisp packet washes up in Cornwall

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2550706/watch-a-30-year-old-crisp-packet-washes-up-in-cornwall/

There has been plastic debris along the high tide line on beaches for decades without the local media feeling the need to film old crisp packets; sudden it's a daily news story.  It is becoming a mild form of collective lunacy like the endless coverage of Dancing and Cooking programmes.

Posted (edited)

"We've traced it back to about 1988 - so it's 30 years old".

The date stamp year isn't clear in the image.  It would have been interesting if they'd said how they managed to work out the date with such precision - did they check with Walkers.   

As it was washed up on the beach apparently on the north coast of Cornwall they do point out it could just as easily have come from the sea (and I think that could be a vessel of any sort and any nationality) so they shouldn't just focus on the locals and people in Britain.

The plastic issue has been on the So-Called BBC radio a few times in the past few days as well.  Probably more taxes and making life more difficult for British people and "locals" in the pipeline.

They never mention the contribution to the problem of rapid population growth especially in the past 20 years or so.

This crisp packet has washed up on a popular beach in Cornwall - and it is 30-years-old!

It has sparked a warning from campaigners who are urging locals to be even more aware of the plastics they use.

Edited by twocents

1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

Every piece of plastic every made is still in existence. We should be looking to use other materials.

Is that really true?

Surely you could apply that to everything as matter, technically, cannot be destroyed.

7 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Every piece of plastic every made is still in existence. We should be looking to use other materials.

So legislate that you can’t sell perishables in plastic. 

Or some hugely bureaucratic scheme targeting plebeian consumption that’s full of onerous conditions and wholly ineffective.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Not YORKSHIRE ones?

I was led to believe they were hand crafted from Nora Batty's used silk stockings.

Clearly not.  Plastic, like all modern trickery such as the infernal combustion engine and el3ctricity, hasn’t reached YORKSHIRE. 

4 hours ago, Green Devil said:

When a relatively modern dump was excavated (part of an archaeological project to see the rate at which things decay) there was huge persistence of paper, not newspaper but writing paper, envelopes, magazines.  Far more than had been expected.

Rubbish persists, don't create it in the first place by buying and consuming a lot less.

Whilst I like beach picks as a bit of general tidiness what do they use for the beach pick and then throw away?  Yes, that's right, a gurt big heavy black plastic bag.

beach-litter-pick.jpg

And assuming they're still doing the same as they used to they also retrieve seaweed and fill up another big plastic bag with it.

Hmmmm........

It's not the big bits that are the immediate concern. It's the tiny bits that can get inside cells and the bits that fill up birds stomachs and starve them to death. They're all quite small.

The big bits we can see do need removing but manually removing all of it is impossible. We need plastic removal boats out doing it.

These are quasi-government press releases and should be labelled as such. It's all too convenient that Michael Gove is "clamping down" on plastic waste.

One of the most depressing things I've noticed over the past year or so, is just how deeply entrenched the Old Media and the government are.

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5618435/Sainsburys-introduce-touch-free-packaging-millennials-squeamish-raw-meat.html#comments

Sainsbury's is to introduce touch-free packaging 'to help millennials who are squeamish about handling raw meat'
----
Uh does this increase the plastic packaging...

Gah! What are they doing in schools to young peoples minds? It's some kind of prolonged metal torture that turns people into fucktards.

Posted (edited)

Just got back from a couple of weeks in China. The frivolous use of plastic is shocking. They even have little plastic bags to hold plastic cups when you order a juice. Restaurant cutlery is wrapped in plastic - which is then unwrapped and washed in hot tea by untrusting Chinese who think it’s still dirty!

Their beaches are nice and clean - no plastic, they have an army of litter collectors!

Edited by OurDayWillCome

20 minutes ago, 201p said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5618435/Sainsburys-introduce-touch-free-packaging-millennials-squeamish-raw-meat.html#comments

Sainsbury's is to introduce touch-free packaging 'to help millennials who are squeamish about handling raw meat'
----
Uh does this increase the plastic packaging...

How the Feck do they cook the stuff?

Posted (edited)

What about Nodders, there are two kinds, the latex ones and the polyurethane ones, the latex ones sound biodegradable but they are not really as they are only theoretically biodegradable, after many, many years and under the right conditions).

What are the SJWs going to do about that, use ones made out of waxed paper or sheep/pig intestines.

For those unfamiliar with Manc slanginology:-

Look, love, I have super duper baby gravy. I need to put on a nodder whether you like it or not.
Edited by Chewing Grass

15 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

What about Nodders, there are two kinds, the latex ones and the polyurethane ones, the latex ones sound biodegradable but they are not really as they are only theoretically biodegradable, after many, many years and under the right conditions).

What are the SJWs going to do about that, use ones made out of waxed paper or sheep/pig intestines.

Never heard that term before.

All I know is none of the fuckers would flush if you put them in your girlfriend's parents' ensuite crapper.

21 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Ah. Just read the article. Pathetic.

I am becoming oddly proud that my lads will chop up anything dead and throw it in a pan.

Mine will gut and clean freshly caught fish.  And once it’s cooked they’ll strip the head of cheeks and eyes and eat those too. 

The only problem with raw meat is stopping them from trying to steal and eat bits before it’s been cooked. 

I don’t see them ever becoming prissy about real food.