• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Mens eating disorders

On the news. It makes you want to be extra buff apparently.

Huge rise in men seeking help for eating disorder issues.

doc says luke skywalker toy was normal when he was a kid, now it's like on steroids. False body image etc etc .. 

Instagram is full of this shit.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be fit but the current trend is to look like a condom full of walnuts. It's vaguely ridiculous.

Interesting though, are we saying that a disorder has come about purely on the basis of social media? I don't think this was particularly widespread beforehand, happy to be corrected though.

They nicknamed it Bigorexia, I think.

I'm fully supportive of anyone who wants to get in shape and feel better about themselves, and if that means going for the muscular look, then fair enough. But I've seen video footage of blokes almost in tears because they haven't got the size muscles they wanted, even though they already look massively over built.

Them dudes are looking for happiness in entirely the wrong place.

As per my comments in Spy's Brad boozing thread- just as you can't judge whether someone has a booze problem by their appearance, nor can you judge whether someone has an eating disorder.

It's not necessarily about looks/size either. My amateur psychological diagnosis of the one anorexic I know is that she started off down that road as a result of her chaotic family life.

Another illness caused wholly by (anti)social media - but no journalist will lay the blame there due to their own penchant for rehashing stories off of it.

Must. Focus. On. Ken. Dolls.

I think there has always been a bit of this around, I knew two men in the early 90s that were hugely muscled bulimics. One had a bulimic girlfriend and after dinner they'd both disappear off to vomit it all up.

I suspect it's more an effort in trying to equate this to women's eating disorders, despite being orders of magnitude apart in both health impact and frequency.

17 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Another illness caused wholly by (anti)social media - but no journalist will lay the blame there due to their own penchant for rehashing stories off of it.

Must. Focus. On. Ken. Dolls.

It existed long before social media came along. It might be the case that some people have developed a problem because they're exposed to unrealistic body standards etc. etc. but I doubt that's the main factor. It may well be the case that more people seeking treatment doesn't mean that actual incidences are on the increase- just that a higher proportion of people affected are asking for help...which would be a good thing, IMO.

A couple of years ago Joan Bakewell got crucified for opining that anorexics just needed to get a grip on themselves, and repeating that old canard that starving Africans didn't get anorexia. I found the whole episode rather depressing, because she was instantly shouted down by the 'you can't say that' brigade, and apologised etc., while there was no real discussion of what actually causes anorexia, and how we should be going about treating it better, and stopping people getting it.

Even if it were true that people in developing countries don't get eating disorders (which it isn't)...so what? Even if you believe that Anorexia is entirely a result of the failure of decadent Western societies, people are still getting very ill and dying from it; and 'just pull yourself together' as practical advice to the mentally ill doesn't have a particularly good track record of successful outcomes9_9.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/my-eating-disorder-had-nothing-to-do-with-the-media

Edited by Rave

I wouldn't have thought it's an eating disorder..  fitness disorder surely ?

If there's any truth in it at all (as opposed to men always having wanted to look strong and buff),  then it is probably due to childhood action heroes like He Man, BA Baracus, Schwarzenegger, Stallone etc rather than the media more broadly.

Plus who cares if people want to pump themselves up?   I don't think the ladies find it particularly attractive but if guys want to do it then fine, go for it.

I can see it happening but these eating disorders tend to be young people who are (amongst other causes) desperate to fit in.

So generally not men or women in general but those in the 14 - 25 age range.  And much more women than men.

I don't think the answer is fat acceptance, but rather regular counselling to help them grow out if it.

30 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I wouldn't have thought it's an eating disorder..  fitness disorder surely ?

If there's any truth in it at all (as opposed to men always having wanted to look strong and buff),  then it is probably due to childhood action heroes like He Man, BA Baracus, Schwarzenegger, Stallone etc rather than the media more broadly.

Plus who cares if people want to pump themselves up?   I don't think the ladies find it particularly attractive but if guys want to do it then fine, go for it.

I remember when Simon Bisley first started drawing strips for 2000AD, previously the depiction of people had been fairly grounded but then suddenly huge muscles and huge weapons. If you're creating fantasy worlds, then why not fantasy people.

conan___dated_19952520-e1455124765864.jp

simon_bisley.jpg

99.9% of people are extremely competent at differentiating between fantasy and reality. Maybe these kinds of images have a negative effect on a tiny minority. I tend to think that it's more to do with people fixating on a goal that will make their life better, and when it doesn't they think they just haven't quite got there yet. 

I guess where drifting further and further into a narcissistic reality, combined with certain individuals, finding it difficult to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

Outcome....mental illness.

(Not sure what I've just said ....but it sounded good  :wanker:

I think some of you are slightly missing the point, which is that many (probably most) of the people who develop eating disorders are not previously happy, well balanced people who developed a sudden fixation with the idea of looking better.

Sorry to link the same article twice, but I really think it's very insightful, and that everyone should read it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/my-eating-disorder-had-nothing-to-do-with-the-media

13 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

I guess where drifting further and further into a narcissistic reality, combined with certain individuals, finding it difficult to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

Outcome....mental illness.

(Not sure what I've just said ....but it sounded good  :wanker:

Everyone has an idea of how they view themselves and would like to be perceived by others.  

Someone who identifies as an outdoorsman for example probably thinks of themselves as manly, no nonsense, fit and with all the best gear to survive in the wild.

They might work towards that image by exaggerating their blokeishness,  keeping their weight down, getting outdoors a lot and spending a lot of time and money researching and buying walking poles.

For people who want to "beef up",  I expect they like the idea of the body image and enjoy the self assurance of knowing they are stronger than 99% of the rest of the population. They probably feel more attractive and confident as well too.    If they don't manage to live up to their own expectations perhaps that's a bit depressing for them. 

Before it was just everybody being different and trying to find their own happiness.   Now perhaps we are classifying everyone as having a mental health problem if their life choices are anything other than 100% vanilla ?   If we are just talking about people who are depressed because they don't achieve their life goals..  well,  maybe they do just need some friends to take them out on the piss and build up their confidence again..   but that could have been caused by missing any life goal,  not just a body image focused one.

15 minutes ago, Rave said:

I think some of you are slightly missing the point, which is that many (probably most) of the people who develop eating disorders are not previously happy, well balanced people who developed a sudden fixation with the idea of looking better.

Sorry to link the same article twice, but I really think it's very insightful, and that everyone should read it.

If that is what this is actually about then it makes much more sense,  and suggests there are just a lot more depressed people now than there were 30 years ago when our standard of living was apparently so much lower..

34 minutes ago, Libspero said:

If that is what this is actually about then it makes much more sense,  and suggests there are just a lot more depressed people now than there were 30 years ago when our standard of living was apparently so much lower..

It could suggest that, or it could be that 30 years ago there was just as much unhappiness but far less willingness to talk about it and/or seek help. Or it could be a bit of both!

Edited by Rave

36 minutes ago, Rave said:

It could suggest that, or it could be that 30 years ago there was just as much unhappiness but far less willingness to talk about it and/or seek help. Or it could be a bit of both!

Social isolation and an ever increasing barrage of idealised lifestyle imagery may be tipping more people towards the depressive episodes that sometimes manifest as eating disorders.

We set kids up to leave school/uni with wildly inflated ideas of their worth, and no experience of failure (everyone gets a sticker). Then the media keep pumping out the idea that everyone else is looking superhuman on a yacht in the maldives with their beautiful, fun friends. I'm surprised everyone under 40 isn't suffering some degree of depression.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Social isolation and an ever increasing barrage of idealised lifestyle imagery may be tipping more people towards the depressive episodes that sometimes manifest as eating disorders.

We set kids up to leave school/uni with wildly inflated ideas of their worth, and no experience of failure (everyone gets a sticker). Then the media keep pumping out the idea that everyone else is looking superhuman on a yacht in the maldives with their beautiful, fun friends. I'm surprised everyone under 40 isn't suffering some degree of depression.

^^^ this

very good analysis. 

Its when the concept of being a special snowflake knocks up,against the reality that you are no different from 99 percent of the population. Then, the media reinforce this by subliminally suggesting that you are a failure if you are not as successful or glamorous as the one percent.  

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

^^^ this

very good analysis. 

Its when the concept of being a special snowflake knocks up,against the reality that you are no different from 99 percent of the population. Then, the media reinforce this by subliminally suggesting that you are a failure if you are not as successful or glamorous as the one percent.  

Top trumpet blowing, old girl! :D

20 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Top trumpet blowing, old girl! 

xD I didn't mean for it to read like that. Honest.  Mind, if you are all nice to me you can have a week on my super yacht in the summer. B|

Not to get too macho but really, wtf? Are we talking about men here?

It's much easier just to imagine that you look fantastic and that women who don't want you are lesbians. It's a way of thinking that has saved men from eating disorders and other girly stuff for centuries.We all live in a delusion of one form or another- choose a healthy one!

You're welcome.

Social media, steroids, Photoshop, celebrity culture, all that kind of bullshit is responsible for this.

Lack of decent mental health support, the destruction of community and the traditional family structure probably don't help either

Then there's this transition phase that masculinity appears to be in i.e. what does it mean to be male now? Honestly, we receive such mixed messages from the media. It's easier just to identify with the caricatures we are presented with rather than do any proper soul searching and self-development of the mind, spirit, personality and health.

7 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

...like a condom full of walnuts...

Love it. Reminds me of Dorien on Birds of a Feather's expression about a blokes arse: "...like two boiled eggs in a handkerchief..."

1 hour ago, montecristo said:

Are women attracted to the muscle heads?  When out and about and see the majority of beautiful women are with skinny men.

Personally, I like a toned physique, some definition of muscle, abs, iliac furrow etc but don't like huge over developed muscles - hate seeing all the veins standing out on a blokes arms.

I wonder whether these disorders are partly due to control. It's being able to control how much you eat, how much you exercise - I think for some where they feel they have little control in their lives, it's one area that they can influence. I'm not sure about the influence of media - particularly on the young, they are all experts at manipulating photos on social media so they know how you can change an image. My daughter enjoys photography so has some professional apps for image manipulation, it's amazingly easy to shave an inch off here and there, apply a filter and voila everyone can be a supermodel.