• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Free bus travel for under 25s

Free bus travel for under 25s promised by Steptoe.ย  Free bus travel for over 65s already in place, and most people 25 - 65 drive a car.

If you're going to deprive buses of 90% of their income why not just simplify the whole thing and make them free.

I also very much feel that this is yet another way of levering even more money out of the small remaining number of net taxpayers in the 25 - 65 who are the only ones left not getting all the freebies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43726983

Ah Browning genius at play.

Free bus travel for OAPs.

Then he didnt pay the full cost, so the money that councils used to run uneconomic bus services so poor, car less working age people can get to and from work was redirected. In my case, it was redirected to tourist buses where rich OAP parked their cars up and got the bus.

Id see the bus pass people stood waiting to go to work. whilst the bus was full of OAP whod parked up in Scarb travel to Whitby. For a joy ride.

Fuckign nuts.

As long as not valid at rush hour I guess it doesnโ€™t matter much.

To be honest, ย why restrict it to certain ages? ย If youโ€™re going to run a โ€œfreeโ€**ย bus service just make it free for everyone at off peak hours.ย 

** tax payer funded

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

As long as not valid at rush hour I guess it doesnโ€™t matter much.

To be honest, ย why restrict it to certain ages? ย If youโ€™re going to run a โ€œfreeโ€**ย bus service just make it free for everyone at off peak hours.ย 

** tax payer funded

Why not make it free for people who pay > 8K of income tax instead?

If we are going to treat under 25s as children by giving them a lower minimum wage than older people then I am happy for them to have free bus travel.

Alternatively, lower the minimum wage for over 65s

Edited by Cunning Plan

Election manifestos based on trinket bribes should be outlawed, FFS we are electing people to run a country not a town council.

A political party that bases its policy around bus travel is surely not fit or capable of running a country.

Such lame policies may be compatible within the framework of the EU as that is all the governmental say they would have but in a post Brexit world there are bigger fish to fry.

1 hour ago, Panther said:

Great, let's totally jam up public transport with smelly-arsed wasters

I see you've not been on public transport recently.

14 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Election manifestos based on trinket bribes should be outlawed, FFS we are electing people to run a country not a town council.

A political party that bases its policy around bus travel is surely not fit or capable of running a country.

Such lame policies may be compatible within the framework of the EU as that is all the governmental say they would have but in a post Brexit world there are bigger fish to fry.

To be fair, they are saying things that will appeal to voters. If those voters are too stupid to want anything more important, it probably explains why the country is in such a state.

Free bus travel for kids would move the boredom problem away. Kids could go up to the youth clubs run in the centre of Oldham and get into fights there rather than locally.
TBH I think they all use the tram free at night.

36 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I would much rather investment was made in reversing many of the Beeching cuts so we can have a better railway network andย can get as much traffic off the roads as possible.

50 years on and it hasn't happened, it won't happen now, the kitty is empty (or apparently Treason has it saved up for invading Syria)

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

50 years on and it hasn't happened, it won't happen now, the kitty is empty (or apparently Treason has it saved up for invading Syria)

You are probably right,some of the Beeching cuts were totally short sighted.

I would expect the Waverley line to be reinstated within the next 20 years or so and there are some other reopening's scheduled but not on any significant scale.

19 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Ken Spivingston had free bus travel for under 18s in London at one time, I believe. The result was the 'yoot' of London using buses as a sort of mobile gang hut.ย 

Still there, you get kids just jumping on the bus, going one stop and getting off again.ย 

Stupid decision, in school time so say from 7-9 and then 2-5 would have been fine but no, it's free all the time.ย 

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s

"If you live outside the UK, you need to apply at least 4 weeks before you arrive in London."

How they can justify that though I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Id be happy scrapping the OAP free bus pass and giving it to the under 25 instead.

See this makes sense.

The 'free travel for OAP' thing is backwards.ย  They're the richest demographic, but they've not actually got anywhere to go, particularly -- it is most often used for leisure.ย  But because they get it free they use it extensively, such that the 'busy' routes/times are the ones that meet the OAP's needs, not the workers.ย  So they cancel the underused services, so that the bus service becomes even more useless for workers.

Anyway, instead of doing the 'free for anyone' they should subsidise it better so that it actually made sense to use a bus rather than drive.ย ย 

[not just subsidise it more, but smarter]

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Free bus travel for under 25s promised by Steptoe.ย  Free bus travel for over 65s already in place, and most people 25 - 65 drive a car.

If you're going to deprive buses of 90% of their income why not just simplify the whole thing and make them free.

I also very much feel that this is yet another way of levering even more money out of the small remaining number of net taxpayers in the 25 - 65 who are the only ones left not getting all the freebies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43726983

Some services like Brighton and Hove just have one flat rate fare

They used to have something similar in Sheffield in the 1970s when I was a student

Kids up toย  16 who travel any distance by public transport already get free public transport.

Free bus travel isย  great perk in urban areas with lots of buses but not so much if you live in the sticks where services are much less frequent

ย 

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

Kids up toย  16 who travel any distance by public transport already get free public transport.

Are you sure?

My 15 year old spends quite a lot on bus fares. How does he apply to get it free?