• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Should universities be universal?

Posted (edited)

French students are revolting.

Again!

A long sit in at Tolbiac has been cleared by the Riot Police.

XVM63d40174-3e48-11e8-bbee-4fbbaa28a7bb.

What are the students gripes? They are against university admissions that select on merit, a reform that has been put in place by the Macron government. Currently a type of lottery system is used. This can mean very bright students not getting a university place and thickies getting into establishments where they cannot hope to go through the first year.

It seems like Turkeys voting for Christmas but the students have a lot of support amongst the French intelligensia.

It is hard to know whether this is just a hard core of the lunatic left or a widely held view but given that resources are finite it seems that universities cannot accept everyone.

France runs a two tiered higher education system - richer parents sent their kids to the "Grandes Ecoles" - elite institutions that prepare the future captains of industry and establishment.

It is expected that final year exams will not be held in many universities this year. The government has proposed on-line exams. Student leaders are overjoyed as there will be "no discrimination by examination" but the real effect is that recruiters are extremely wary of students from these years.

Edited by davidg

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, davidg said:

They are against university admissions that select on merit, a reform that has been put in place by the Macron government. Currently a type of lottery system is used. This can mean very bright students not getting a university place and thickies getting into establishments where they cannot hope to go through the first year.

It seems like Turkeys voting for Christmas but the students have a lot of support amongst the French intelligensia.

France runs a two tiered higher education system - richer parents sent their kids to the "Grandes Ecoles" - elite institutions that prepare the future captains of industry and establishment.

It is expected that final year exams will not be held in many universities this year. The government has proposed on-line exams. Student leaders are overjoyed as there will be "no discrimination by examination" but the real effect is that recruiters are extremely wary of students from these years.

If that photo is a French 'Uni' Campus it is an absolute shit-hole judging by the levels of protection afforded by that fence and the portcullis of a gate.

Obviously French students haven't realised that the system is actually making them unemployable.

The really funny bit is that the 'bosses' know all this a go do a different 'school' so its just like 'Oxford & Cambridge' in a country that is a so-called Republic and had a 'Revolution'.

No wonder the French suck the Germans arses.

Edited by Chewing Grass

17 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

If that photo is a French 'Uni' Campus it is an absolute shit-hole judging by the levels of protection afforded by that fence and the portcullis of a gate.

The gates are anti terrorist measures following the Bataclan - they also have security stopping anyone but staff and students going in.

"Discrimination by examination"?

Take the exams away and what is the point of the three years?  Not only would you not have to do any work you wouldn't even have to physically be there; just register.

I thought our SJWs were lunatic but this makes French unis totally pointless; just close them down and save the money. 

9 hours ago, davidg said:

French students are revolting.

Again!

A long sit in at Tolbiac has been cleared by the Riot Police.

What are the students gripes? They are against university admissions that select on merit, a reform that has been put in place by the Macron government. Currently a type of lottery system is used. This can mean very bright students not getting a university place and thickies getting into establishments where they cannot hope to go through the first year.

It is hard to know whether this is just a hard core of the lunatic left or a widely held view but given that resources are finite it seems that universities cannot accept everyone.

French intelligensia is a euphemism for some unemployable, unsackable literacy critic prof.

9 hours ago, davidg said:

The gates are anti terrorist measures following the Bataclan - they also have security stopping anyone but staff and students going in.

But we are not going to allow terrorism to change the way we live our lives, oh no.  

I was astonished when I found out about the Grandes Ecoles system, a French mate of mine was telling me about it. Not just for the wealthy but also insanely competitive. If you manage to graduate (my mate crashed out after the first year) you're straight into a senior civil service or industry role. Basically all of the executives of all French companies are selected from the system. 

Make no wonder they don't give a toss about immigration, they're not in the same competition.

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I was astonished when I found out about the Grandes Ecoles system, a French mate of mine was telling me about it. Not just for the wealthy but also insanely competitive. If you manage to graduate (my mate crashed out after the first year) you're straight into a senior civil service or industry role. Basically all of the executives of all French companies are selected from the system. 

Make no wonder they don't give a toss about immigration, they're not in the same competition.

Anecdote :-

I know a lad at one of these at the moment, I forget which one. His Mum is an ex-politician of the far left, a really good person to be fair if a little deluded. His politics are much further right. He outlined to me his plans for the next 10 years, I have no doubt that he will eventually be in a senior position, probably civil service. On the one hand I have never known a 19yo with such a breadth of academic knowledge of history, politics, geo-politics and the wider world, you can discuss almost anything with him. On the other hand he has no plans to accumulate any knowledge of the real world either in terms of people or practicality - he really can't change a light-bulb and like Jordan Peterson says, can't make his bed.  Basically he's like one of our PPE politicians but with more brains and in the classic French intellectual style, extremely sure of himself.

IMO France is in need of exactly the same law as is required in the UK. 10 years with at least a small element of success in the real world before being able to enter politics. We need it even more than them because our impractical politicians are thick as well, theirs aren't.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Seems to me the French approach to mass immigration has been one of containment, ie, just keep pouring them into their banlieux (ghettoes) and send the riot squad in when they erupt. In the UK the policy is attempted, but often failed, integration. I'm pretty sure the French would not put up with things like Rotherham or the Tower Hamlets vote rigging scandal, but I may be wrong. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

59 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

ENA are a living of example of being highly trained morons.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

ENA are a living of example of being highly trained morons.

It's funny, just having a quick read up on the system - my 'mate' (actually a colleague) crashed out after the first year of prepa - and he already falls into the highly trained moron category.

He's also incredibly arrogant with it, when I found out he'd been in this special schooling system everything I knew about him fell into place... He thinks he knows everything and is more insightful than everyone else. In reality he's just an arrogant, moronic, dicksplash.

9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It's funny, just having a quick read up on the system - my 'mate' (actually a colleague) crashed out after the first year of prepa - and he already falls into the highly trained moron category.

He's also incredibly arrogant with it, when I found out he'd been in this special schooling system everything I knew about him fell into place... He thinks he knows everything and is more insightful than everyone else. In reality he's just an arrogant, moronic, dicksplash.  French

FTFY

14 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

FTFY

This could be it... i travel a lot with work and enjoy pretty much everywhere, but France? Eurgggh.

I'll give them one thing: the women tend to be very well turned out.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

University is a job avoidance scheme, where people can take out a loan to pay for their own dole.:Geek:

What a thing to say.  Does the sight of your alma mater not still fill you with pride? Just recollect what it felt like to climb those steps for the first time.

Library,_Haywards_Heath.jpg

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

University of Sussex (Haywards Heath campus).

Fuck me! I only saw the bar Frank. I only did three years. And there was no Haywards Heath campus then.:Old: