DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Italy

Horrified Onlooker

Horrified Onlooker

I have been approached about a potential job near Bologna in Italy. It’s by no means a done deal. I have a smattering of Italian and the family don’t speak a word of it. As a refugee from ToS, I promptly looked at house prices and was pleasantly surprised. Were I successful, there would be a 20% uplift in gross earnings (I’m already well paid).

Has any member of the hive mind lived in Italy? How does the cost of living compare? I haven’t been there in nearly 20 years. Are there any hidden costs, local taxes etc?

It may come to nothing but it could also be a once in a lifetime opportunity, even if only for a few years.

1 hour ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

I have been approached about a potential job near Bologna in Italy. It’s by no means a done deal. I have a smattering of Italian and the family don’t speak a word of it. As a refugee from ToS, I promptly looked at house prices and was pleasantly surprised. Were I successful, there would be a 20% uplift in gross earnings (I’m already well paid).

Has any member of the hive mind lived in Italy? How does the cost of living compare? I haven’t been there in nearly 20 years. Are there any hidden costs, local taxes etc?

It may come to nothing but it could also be a once in a lifetime opportunity, even if only for a few years.

Bolonga is one of the nicest cities in Italy I've been to - major university town (one of if not oldest in europe I believe and not a tourist trap) . Cost of living not that much different to here I would have thought all round. Presume the post is english speaking anyway. Like you say chance in a lifetime, if you  could relatively easily slip back into another post in the UK then risk is not that great.

swiss_democracy_for_all

Unless you have a cracking life setup now in the UK I'd say jump at it.

There will be drawbacks of course, a new country is never easy. But that's a really lovely part of the world, nice city, great climate and ski-ing and beaches in driving distance, and Italians are maddening but incredibly charming, and you would be broadening the horizons of everyone in the family. If you have daughters older than 13, prepare them for the attentions of the young men, and if the missus looks half-decent she'll have to be on her toes as well!

Edit - just realised you may be a lady yourself, we have so many middle-aged baldies on here I forget sometimes!

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

we have so many middle-aged baldies on here I forget sometimes!

That's an unfair stereotype.

There's some young baldies too.

4 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Do they offer a relocation consultant? Will sort out a central flat for you?

Italy is cheap, property wise, but the taxes will drive you nuts.

Are you employed or self-employed?

If employed then consider it.

If self-employed, no. Nightmare.

Be very careful to live in a town. Dont go off to the sticks immediately, wait til youve got some language skills.

Do you school aged kids? If so, itll have to be a private international school. Most itlalian teachers make ours look like hard wroking, hitler supporters.

Providing you eat and drink italian food and wines then living costs are dead cheap - about 40% less than the UK.

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

;) An extra 1000 hours of sunshine is roughly 3-4 months if you count 10 hours per day.....

it always amuses me all the africans fighting to get into the UK, I spoke to one hoping to go and live in Sweden and asked him if he realized there was no daylight for 6 months of the year and no sunshine for the rest. He thought it would be like Africa with blonde women thrown in. I told him "you'll be as white a sheet of paper in a year and your dick will shrivel up with all the female hormones they put in the water".

Green Devil
7 hours ago, onlyme said:

Bolonga is one of the nicest cities in Italy I've been to - major university town (one of if not oldest in europe I believe and not a tourist trap) . Cost of living not that much different to here I would have thought all round. Presume the post is english speaking anyway. Like you say chance in a lifetime, if you  could relatively easily slip back into another post in the UK then risk is not that great.

I would agree, having also been to Bologna. Its is a very nice city, loads of very interesting architecture, very laid back, great bars/cafes, good climate, yet close to the alps, hop on a train for skiing/alpine walking. If you were well off you could be living in a 800 years old italian villa, with frescos on the ceiling.

Go for it. 

Green Devil
2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

;) An extra 1000 hours of sunshine is roughly 3-4 months if you count 10 hours per day.....

File:Europe sunshine hours map.png

I think they need to redo that graphic, i cant see anywhere in the south UK having anywhere near the 1200hrs for the last few years.

As for brighton/bournemouth, 1800-2000 they are having a larf... It clearly must include time spent under the SAD lamp.

15 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

File:Europe sunshine hours map.png

I'm sold already! B|

I think a 'fact finding' visit to Italy is in order. :D

34 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I'm sold already! B|

I think a 'fact finding' visit to Italy is in order. :D

Bologna is not a bad first choice at all. You could to a jam packed long weekend (well 4 days rather than 3 to make travelling easier) - Bologna is nicely placed in-between Florence and Venice so two early start day trips on the train and you'd see a heck of a lot in the time.

Edit.

Just checked, Bologna -> Florence - 1Hr on the train

Bologna -> Venice - 1 1/2 Hrs.

The trains are good and the journeys themselves are interesting and go through some attractive countryside (which you'd not see if just on a city visit).

Seems like an easy life vs exciting life type of problem. 

If you think the job would work out then just do it IMO.  But that's just MO.

[Schooling is an issue, but not actually a dealbreaker -- there is so much 'life value' from experiencing living in a foreign country (including, but not only, language), that it makes up for any potential lost formal schooling.]

• 3 months later...
Chewing Grass

Bologna truck fireball incident 06/08/18.

Says in italian do not show to impressionable people.

1682177245_Screenshot-2018-8-6VideolincidentechehascatenatolinfernodiBologna.png.49e0bc01df18039f3b8576641e7148a8.png

Video won't embed, use link below.

https://www.gazzettadiparma.it/upload/7312377-secondo22mp4.mp4

Now there are plenty of low I.Q. individuals who have recently arrived in Europe who want to be HGV drivers if you catch my drift.

7 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Bologna truck fireball incident 06/08/18.

Says in italian do not show to impressionable people.

1682177245_Screenshot-2018-8-6VideolincidentechehascatenatolinfernodiBologna.png.49e0bc01df18039f3b8576641e7148a8.png

Video won't embed, use link below.

https://www.gazzettadiparma.it/upload/7312377-secondo22mp4.mp4

Now there are plenty of low I.Q. individuals who have recently arrived in Europe who want to be HGV drivers if you catch my drift.

Fucking 'ell! That second bit where it explodes! O.o

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

These things travel around the M25 etc all day everyday, makes you think about how dangerous they really are.

If i were of a certain peaceful religion I know where I'd get my next truck for a peaceful drive along the promenade...

Archived