• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

RNLI dodgy politics

So, what’s the dosbods analysis here?  My view fwiw, is that the lifeboat once belonged to the town.  They are still crewed by local people on a (paid) voluntarily basis.  From what I’m told by people in the know, they are now as corrupt as any other charity (sad as it was the only one I contributed to).

anyhow, the central RNLI in Poole has sacked the coxswain of the scabbie lifeboat. Town is in uproar 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5607407/Anger-Scarborough-lifeboat-coxswain-sacked-training-exercise.html 

Which follows this one from Jersey last year.  RNLI sacked coxswain for "unauthorised rescue", turned out he wasn't on duty and reinstated but whole crew refused to work with RNLI and wanted to go independent so RNLI took their boat away.

The RNLI chiefs have forgotten what they are there to do and are acting like pompous army generals.

Please accept my apologies for using a guardian link.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/17/rnli-recalls-lifeboat-jersey-st-helier-dispute-with-crew

Edited by Frank Hovis

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Which follows this one from Jersey last year.  RNLI sacked coxswain for "unauthorised rescue", turned out he wasn't on duty and reinstated but whole crew refused to work with RNLI and wanted to go independent so RNLI took their boat away.

The RNLI chiefs have forgotten what they are there to do and are acting like pompous army generals.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/17/rnli-recalls-lifeboat-jersey-st-helier-dispute-with-crew

This from my original link

He added: 'The only reason I can think of that would make them go to such lengths in getting me out, is over the last two years or so, they have bombarded us with new ways of doing things, new rules, acronyms, forms, health and safety, and my view is that they feel that I'm being left behind with it all.

'I have 34 years of service with not one disciplinary mark against my name, and skill, experience and knowledge. The sacrifices that I've made count for nothing.

'In my opinion, the RNLI has turned into something that doesn't resemble what the public sees it as.

'It has turned into a massive corporate giant that has lost its focus in saving lives at sea and all these messages are sending a very negative message to all sea goers.'

It’s is being run by suits who have probably never seen the sea. 

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Back to your link, what the feck is an unauthorised rescue?  The shout goes out and the lifeboat peopled by whoever gets there first. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Back to your link, what the feck is an unauthorised rescue?  The shout goes out and the lifeboat peopled by whoever gets there first. 

Sort of what it says; they can't just go they have to receiev instructions to go.

There was one a couple of months ago in Devon where the lifeboat was meant to wait for instruction from the coastguard for better location information but launched anyway.  So by the sounds of it they could have been sacked for that.

It is shocking how the RNLI is behaving but it is only receiving regional coverage so prior to your link I thought it was just Jersey.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sort of what it says; they can't just go they have to receiev instructions to go.

There was one a couple of months ago in Devon where the lifeboat was meant to wait for instruction from the coastguard for better location information but launched anyway.  So by the sounds of it they could have been sacked for that.

It is shocking how the RNLI is behaving but it is only receiving regional coverage so prior to your link I thought it was just Jersey.

I wonder who Grace Darling needed to get permission from?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Darling

more seriously, this just lays bare the way that corporate Britain has wheedled its way into every corner of local life. 

I would have thought the RNLI to be sacrosanct. Clearly not. 

29 minutes ago, One percent said:

So, what’s the dosbods analysis here?  My view fwiw, is that the lifeboat once belonged to the town.  They are still crewed by local people on a (paid) voluntarily basis.  From what I’m told by people in the know, they are now as corrupt as any other charity (sad as it was the only one I contributed to).

anyhow, the central RNLI in Poole has sacked the coxswain of the scabbie lifeboat. Town is in uproar 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5607407/Anger-Scarborough-lifeboat-coxswain-sacked-training-exercise.html 

Not sure.

This, who was the other passenger?

Hes making light of something that needs to be thought out and approved. Id say hes treating the boat as his own.

''It turned out that two other crew gave back word at the last minute and so I took two passengers, something that has happened for years, one of them being an RNLI representative. They are now saying I should not have taken people to sea.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5607407/Anger-Scarborough-lifeboat-coxswain-sacked-training-exercise.html#ixzz5CZrRrSOo 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just now, spygirl said:

Not sure.

This, who was the other passenger?

Hes making light of something that needs to be thought out and approved. Id say hes treating the boat as his own.

''It turned out that two other crew gave back word at the last minute and so I took two passengers, something that has happened for years, one of them being an RNLI representative. They are now saying I should not have taken people to sea.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5607407/Anger-Scarborough-lifeboat-coxswain-sacked-training-exercise.html#ixzz5CZrRrSOo 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Yeah, I agree, he has taken some people out on a show off jolly.  He should be made to pay for the cost of the trip.  It isn’t his private gin palace.  

Having said that, it is the way that some faceless corporate goon is throwing their weight around in what should essentially be a local matter. 

This guy, for whatever his faults and liberty taking is prepared to put his life on the line for others. Goes a long way in my book /rose tinted specs off. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

more seriously, this just lays bare the way that corporate Britain has wheedled its way into every corner of local life. 

The WI is heading on similar lines.

Local groups doing all their own organising and fund raising and paying big subs to a central body with flash offices in Fulham and a £2.5m wage bill no less (just looked up their stats).  At least the chief exec is in the £60 - £70k bracket rather than the £100ks of others.

Some local groups question the point of paying big subs to fund this central administration and are looking to become independent.

104+Kings+Road+2.JPG

Yeah, I agree, he has taken some people out on a show off jolly.  He should be made to pay for the cost of the trip.  It isn’t his private gin palace.  

Having said that, it is the way that some faceless corporate goon is throwing their weight around in what should essentially be a local matter. 

This guy, for whatever his faults and liberty taking is prepared to put his life on the line for others. Goes a long way in my book /rose tinted specs off. 

Using gge boat for a jolly is annoying, both cost and disruption to cover.

What gheyll be worried about is if one of tge passengers fell out and drowned. What if passenger was a kid? Hes not forthcoming about 2nd passenger. Id guess the other one is a local fund raiser.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Local groups doing all their own organising and fund raising and paying big subs to a central body with flash offices in Fulham and a £2.5m wage bill no less (just looked up their stats).  At least the chief exec is in the £60 - £70k bracket rather than the £100ks of others.

Some local groups question the point of paying big subs to fund this central administration and are looking to become independent.

104+Kings+Road+2.JPG

Bonkers. How exactly do they justify it?  

Just now, spygirl said:

Using gge boat for a jolly is annoying, both cost and disruption to cover.

What gheyll be worried about is if one of tge passengers fell out and drowned. What if passenger was a kid? Hes not forthcoming about 2nd passenger. Id guess the other one is a local fund raiser.

Or he could have been doing a Concordia thing, showing off to a potential squeeze 

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

You are absolutely right.  Lots of my clients leave money to charities in their wills and they are beyond grasping.   I have had legacy officers based in London and Poole incredulous that a 3 bedroom ex council semi in LS10 (Belle Isle) goes for £60k!  I wish clients knew that their money was going on corporate pensions and the usual.  Dealing with big charities is no different to dealing with any plc.  Some of the smaller ones do a great job.

Bonkers. How exactly do they justify it?  

As they are the central authority how do as a small local group get to question it?

My accountancy body decided it wanted to pay itself more back in the 90s so "generously" gave everyone a free monthly copy of their deeply tedious and highly irrelevant magazine whilst putting subs up by £50 to "cover costs".

When these bodies become unaccountable they start becoming self-serving and taking the piss.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As they are the central authority how do as a small local group get to question it?

My accountancy body decided it wanted to pay itself more back in the 90s so "generously" gave everyone a free monthly copy of their deeply tedious and highly irrelevant magazine whilst putting subs up by £50 to "cover costs".

When these bodies become unaccountable they start becoming self-serving and taking the piss.

👍

18 minutes ago, Ina said:

You are absolutely right.  Lots of my clients leave money to charities in their wills and they are beyond grasping.   I have had legacy officers based in London and Poole incredulous that a 3 bedroom ex council semi in LS10 (Belle Isle) goes for £60k!  I wish clients knew that their money was going on corporate pensions and the usual.  Dealing with big charities is no different to dealing with any plc.  Some of the smaller ones do a great job.

Support local charities not these large corporates. Local charities know what is needed and don't have the massive overheads of the behemoths.

Just now, Dipsy said:

Support local charities not these large corporates. Local charities know what is needed and don't have the massive overheads of the behemoths.

In my ultimate naivety,  I thought the RNLI was local, or that they had a good level of autonomy. 

50 minutes ago, One percent said:

This from my original link

He added: 'The only reason I can think of that would make them go to such lengths in getting me out, is over the last two years or so, they have bombarded us with new ways of doing things, new rules, acronyms, forms, health and safety, and my view is that they feel that I'm being left behind with it all.

'I have 34 years of service with not one disciplinary mark against my name, and skill, experience and knowledge. The sacrifices that I've made count for nothing.

'In my opinion, the RNLI has turned into something that doesn't resemble what the public sees it as.

'It has turned into a massive corporate giant that has lost its focus in saving lives at sea and all these messages are sending a very negative message to all sea goers.'

It’s is being run by suits who have probably never seen the sea. 

Managerialism. It’s infected everything!

I find it very sad reading that testament from a long serving and exemplary RNLI volunteer.

Skill, experience and knowledge are increasingly being discounted.

I will have no sympathy when families are whining about RNLI incompetence unless it prompts them to campaign for returning to a service that embraces the original ethos of the organisation.

36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

104+Kings+Road+2.JPG

WI have gone independent here because of increasing membership fees. It’s a good thing IMO. I’ve never attended WI because it’s not my scene but I tip my hat to the local group who have basically said to HQ....fuck you....we can do what we do alone!

10 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Managerialism. It’s infected everything!

I find it very sad reading that testament from a long serving and exemplary RNLI volunteer.

Skill, experience and knowledge are increasingly being discounted.

I will have no sympathy when families are whining about RNLI incompetence unless it prompts them to campaign for returning to a service that embraces the original ethos of the organisation.

The rise of the manager clutching an MBA and spreadsheet will be the death of any innovation and service. 

15 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Agreed but in Leeds City Centre there seem to be more Homeless support workers than there are tramps with a dog on a string.  I’m loving the fact that a soup kitchen has opened up directly outside the 2 most expensive restaurants on City Square.  I also like giving Mr Ina’s private school logo’ed kit to the junkies on Briggate.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I disagree that it was a 'show off jolly'

It was a training trip and the boat was going out. So not a jolly, and he found he had a couple of spare places and so offered a couple of people a blast, literally; the boats have to be 'exercised' so that they are ready when needed.

I often used to go out on the local lifeboat when they did their engine runs to blow out the cobwebs. Bloody good fun. Unfortunately, passengers have been stopped for some reason, probably insurance, and I feel that was probably the reason he was dismissed. I suspect he thought it was bloody nonsense not to take people for a ride, and I'd agree. But, rules are rules, however silly they may be. I'd have thought a quiet word would have been better. Having said that, there may be more back story.

Edited by Hopeful

The history and evolution of the lifeboat service is fascinating as at one time wreckers, salvage ships and lifeboats were often crewed by the same people

http://www.riddleofthesands.net/wordpress/2015/09/25/theyre-born-with-predatory-instincts/

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/apr/09/highereducation.news

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Perks of the Job? He risks his life on a daily basis.

What about the bankerscum/corporates who take all their mates out for slap up lunches to discuss what trades they are making to today?

One rule for them and another for the plebs as usual.

5 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Perks of the Job? He risks his life on a daily basis.

What about the bankerscum/corporates who take all their mates out for slap up lunches to discuss what trades they are making to today?

One rule for them and another for the plebs as usual.

I’m not castigating him for it, just pointing out what I think, based on experience of my home town, what I think he has done ‘wrong’.  People in these positions in small towns, sometimes treat it as a personal fiefdom. 

He should be made to pay the cost of fuel if this is the case and then the end of.  

Plebs are not entitled to perks btw. o.O