• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

A potential dosbods outing No. 2

https://membership.theguardian.com/event/columnwriting-with-owen-jones-43085041519?INTCMP=gdnwb_copts_merchlow_mstrs_masterclasses_tracking_ROS_LR_mixed

Learn how to turn facts and statistics into stories that people care about at this unique masterclass with Guardian columnist Owen Jones.

A well-written column is an effective way to raise important issues and represent people who are otherwise airbrushed out of existence. Whatever your point of view, award-winning Guardian columnist Owen Jones can help you to turn your knowledge and passion into a persuasive argument.

Suitable for writers of all levels, this inspiring evening includes advice on everything from pitching story ideas to editors to researching a subject and structuring a column. The class is a unique opportunity to hear Owen share his experiences as a journalist, and offer tips on presenting an argument with confidence. Tickets are limited – so book your place now and spend the evening soaking up insights from one of the Guardian’s most prolific journalists.

Content

• Finding your voice and writing effective polemics
  • A look at different narrative approaches, from the contrarian to the activist-columnist and the voice-of-reason
  • How to use research and statistics within your argument
  • Pitching to time-pressed comment editors
  • Structuring an argument
  • Tabloid vs broadsheet
  • Using social media and blogs to push your work and get recognised as a writer
  • Q&A

Tutor profile

Owen Jones is a columnist at the Guardian and a former columnist at the Independent, as well as a regular TV/radio broadcaster and public speaker. He is the author of ChavsThe Establishment: And How They Get Away With It and the soon-to-be-released The Politics of Hope. Owen is the winner of the 2012 Stonewall Journalist of the Year and 2013 Political Book Awards Young Writer of the Year. Find him on Twitter here.

who’s up for it?  

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Content

• A look at different narrative approaches, from the contrarian to the activist-columnist and the voice-of-reason
  • Tabloid vs broadsheet
  • Q&A

who’s up for it?  

Not for me. The list of topics doesn't include "ethical" phone hacking.

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Do you think the likes of Owen Jones believes the guff he comes out with? He must know Islam hates gays and many Muslims would throw him off a building. He must know deep down he's a useful idiot...

Seriously, I think he does. A mass of contradiction. Inside his head must be a weird place 

14 hours ago, One percent said:

https://membership.theguardian.com/event/columnwriting-with-owen-jones-43085041519?INTCMP=gdnwb_copts_merchlow_mstrs_masterclasses_tracking_ROS_LR_mixed

Learn how to turn facts and statistics into stories that people care about at this unique masterclass with Guardian columnist Owen Jones.

A well-written column is an effective way to raise important issues and represent people who are otherwise airbrushed out of existence. Whatever your point of view, award-winning Guardian columnist Owen Jones can help you to turn your knowledge and passion into a persuasive argument.

Suitable for writers of all levels, this inspiring evening includes advice on everything from pitching story ideas to editors to researching a subject and structuring a column. The class is a unique opportunity to hear Owen share his experiences as a journalist, and offer tips on presenting an argument with confidence. Tickets are limited – so book your place now and spend the evening soaking up insights from one of the Guardian’s most prolific journalists.

Content

• Tabloid vs broadsheet
  • Q&A

Tutor profile

Owen Jones is a columnist at the Guardian and a former columnist at the Independent, as well as a regular TV/radio broadcaster and public speaker. He is the author of ChavsThe Establishment: And How They Get Away With It and the soon-to-be-released The Politics of Hope. Owen is the winner of the 2012 Stonewall Journalist of the Year and 2013 Political Book Awards Young Writer of the Year. Find him on Twitter here.

who’s up for it?  

The guardians a funny thing these days.

It used to be the voice of the left.

Then it becamses the lefts massive slush fund, drawing out the trust fund set up to keep the paper going for years.

Massive hoohaa when the plain facts hit the shit. A friend works at the FT. He says the guardians pay nad conditionsweer nuts - grossly overstyaffed, over paid, under worked and stuff full of useless people.

They are slowly trying to unfuck the finances but it looks like its too late.

The Guardian did the odd good thing - investigative reporting. But it pissed millisons away on employing loads of lefty idiots.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The guardians a funny thing these days.

It used to be the voice of the left.

Then it becamses the lefts massive slush fund, drawing out the trust fund set up to keep the paper going for years.

Massive hoohaa when the plain facts hit the shit. A friend works at the FT. He says the guardians pay nad conditionsweer nuts - grossly overstyaffed, over paid, under worked and stuff full of useless people.

They are slowly trying to unfuck the finances but it looks like its too late.

The Guardian did the odd good thing - investigative reporting. But it pissed millisons away on employing loads of lefty idiots.

Yep, my daily paper for years. Good, solid investigative journalism. 

Pit went off track with new labour, possibly around the time of the WMD debacle. Anyhow, a long time ago.  

It is odd to say but the mail is a superior paper these days. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Seriously, I think he does. A mass of contradiction. Inside his head must be a weird place 

I just wish someone would interview him and ask him some probing questions. Something like "Islam has a clear hatred of homosexuals. Why are you so keen on importing an ideology into Europe that would happily kill you?".

IMHO, the media doesn't really do their job when it comes to these questions. When someone comes on an Internet forum and talks shit they usually get "questioned" more thoroughly by other forum users than the So-Called BBC questions celebrities talking shit.

Tbh, I've largely stopped buying newspapers because they no longer ask the hard questions of people talking shit.

I honestly think a half decent interviewer could make Owen Jones look an absolute dickhead in a 5 minute interview.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I just wish someone would interview him and ask him some probing questions. Something like "Islam has a clear hatred of homosexuals. Why are you so keen on importing an ideology into Europe that would happily kill you?".

IMHO, the media doesn't really do their job when it comes to these questions. When someone comes on an Internet forum and talks shit they usually get "questioned" more thoroughly by other forum users than the So-Called BBC questions celebrities talking shit.

Tbh, I've largely stopped buying newspapers because they no longer ask the hard questions of people talking shit.

I honestly think a half decent interviewer could make Owen Jones look an absolute dickhead in a 5 minute interview.

He would flounce....  

agree with the papers, I’ve not bought one for years and can’t be bothered to even pick up the free ones. Celebrity stalking crap on the whole 

10 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

What? No pointers on 'flouncing out of an interview' or 'bandwagon activism 101'?

I think I'll save my 50 quid for the Guardians next groundbreaking event: 'Maths with Dianne - From One to Potato'

reminds me of where the president was and what he was doing when he was told the twin towers was hit,but i think abbots going to struggle after 3 potatoes

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

He would flounce....  

agree with the papers, I’ve not bought one for years and can’t be bothered to even pick up the free ones. Celebrity stalking crap on the whole 

I used to think it was my middle class duty to buy a newspaper and support the media. However after the media cheered on the migrants coming to Europe across the Mediterranean I largely stopped buying them.

The only paper I buy is the Times. I also have an online subscription to the Mail - I never read it, but I like to support the newspaper that tells us the truth.

£10 a month for the Mail... It's worth it as the Mail pisses off the BBC so much.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I used to think it was my middle class duty to buy a newspaper and support the media. However after the media cheered on the migrants coming to Europe across the Mediterranean I largely stopped buying them.

The only paper I buy is the Times. I also have an online subscription to the Mail - I never read it, but I like to support the newspaper that tells us the truth.

£10 a month for the Mail... It's worth it as the Mail pisses off the BBC so much.

What extra do you get for the tenner a month

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

What extra do you get for the tenner a month

Tbh, I'm not actually sure... I just wanted to financially support the Mail so signed up to their subscription service. I'm quite frankly happy giving them the money and getting nothing in return apart from a warm glow of pissing off the So-Called BBC.

I enjoyed his Chavs --- the demonisation of the working class book, and I agreed with quite a bit of it. I watched a documentary 'Kingsman' that followed a chav from his council flat to becoming a gentleman, which showed that Jones had been right.