• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Van Lady

Ordinary people you’ve met who inspire you

My Grandma and my Auntie S.

Grandma married my Grandfather aged 18 when he was around 46. Back in the late 1920's in Ireland young women had no choice in who they were to marry and some like my Grandma had to marry much older men. My Grandad was prevented from marrying as a young man as he had to as the eldest son look after his mum and dad until they passed away.

Grandma bore my Grandad 12 children, of which 11 survived to adulthood. She was pregnant from age 19 almost constantly right into her 40's.

I knew her as a child and teenager, She was wonderful so kind and serene with never a cross word or complaint about anyone.

She was also generous giving my siblings and I, more than we deserved or she could have afforded especially with her having grandchildren too numerous to count.

She's been dead for 30 years but I can still hear her soft voice.

My dad's like her, a gentle hearted soul too.

My Auntie S had a very hard life being married to my violent alcoholic uncle who beat her many times and  stole money meant for feeding the family often.

She bore him 5 sons two of which became alcoholics as well.

She's had a very hard life but again she is the kindest most peaceful soul I currently know with never a bad word to say about anyone.

Lovely lovely woman.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

My gran could drink you lot under the table! And she smoked a pipe and played an accordian.

Did she also eat 100 fry-ups a week and live to the ripe old age of 113? 

51 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

One person (who I have not met) but I find inspirational is Eva Mozes Kor.

A truly remarkable woman. If you ever get a chance to see the documentary about her,  Forgiving Dr. Mengele, watch it.

Yeah seen some of her posts on quora. Not sure if I could forgive Mengele after everythign she went through. But yes, a truly remarkable woman ...

I note that all the inspirational people on here are women.  

:D