• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Indifferent Indians

As a proper YORKSHIRE Dosbodeer, I don't go out to eat very often, and then only if there is a deal.

My local Indian, which I have enjoyed in the past, has this £11.95 Sunday meal thing going on, so I thought I would treat Mrs Plan. Even managed to pin down plan junior to be a free (no such thing really) taxi.

Arrived at 6.30, just as the only other customers were leaving. Got the menu, all smiles and how are you syncophantic stuff.

Asked for the special deal. Feck me, the smiles disappeared faster than Cliff Richard spotting a BBC helicopter.

Given menu. Ordered (poppodoms, starter, main, side and rice so a good deal).

Waiter acknowledged with a gesture that would make a gruffalo look like your best mate.

Poppodoms arrived. They were quite good.

2 minutes later, the starters arrived. Undercooked (no great surprise).

Starters finished, the waiter cleared half of the plates and literally dropped some more cutlery on the table. Had he been playing pick up sticks he couldn't have been more random.

Main course was crap. 5 lumps of chicken in a bland sauce. Which is quite an achievement for a vindaloo. I appreciate cost saving but chillies are a) cheap and b) a fairly critical part of the dish.

50 minutes after arriving, we were good to leave. Whilst the waiters were fawning over another table that hadn't been foolish enough to take up the special offer.

My point is, they were virtually empty all evening. They clearly thought the prixe fixe deal would bring in some more business. And then they treat those that take up the offer like total shit. A smile and some service costs nothing, but obviously wasn't included in the deal.

We won't return, cheap deal or otherwise.

Last Indian I went to had a massive fight start up just as we sat down. 

And that was just the staff. 

We could see the bruises start to form on the face of the guy that served us.

Great fun.   I'll go again.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Indians i.e. bhangladeshis are shit.

There are a few indian indians which are miles better.

High street ibians are - orange sauce, red sauce, brown sauce. Hot, medium, mild. Fish, lamb, beef.

All from tins, buckets.

Agreed. But we don't have any round here. This one used to be excellent. Until you choose their special offer.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Last Indian I went to had a massive fight start up just as we sat down. 

And that was just the staff. 

We could see the bruises start to form on the face of the guy that served us.

Great fun.   I'll go again.

I should have read this first. Nothing like two chefs having a knife fight to liven up the evening.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g2054936-d2337286-r540176841-Indo_Fine_Dining-Chobham_Surrey_England.html

Just now, Soft lad said:

£11.95 isn't a very good deal anyway.  On a Sunday you can get all you can eat buffet for about £8.00.

You aren't in Surrey, are you?

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Ah. Then you will have competition. 

Sadly we don't, which is why the local pub can charge more for food the many decent city restaurants.

No shortage of curry places in Woking. Although if you have a free(ish) taxi service the fish curries at the Kayal in West Byfleet are pretty good.

9 minutes ago, Soft lad said:

£11.95 isn't a very good deal anyway.  On a Sunday you can get all you can eat buffet for about £8.00.

I'm not convinced by buffets - there's usually a limited selection, the hygiene is questionably (mainly because of the customers) and there's the feeling of being back at school that the queueing up brings on. I know many people like them though.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

I'm not convinced by buffets - there's usually a limited selection, the hygiene is questionably (mainly because of the customers) and there's the feeling of being back at school that the queueing up brings on. I know many people like them though.

Many *fat* people like them.

I avoid buffets.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Many *fat* people like them.

I avoid buffets.

There is that, yes! I think that's why the plates tend to be so small as well, at least make the lard-arses get up a few times to load their plates up.

Marks and Spencer's sell tinned curry, for £2.80, which is actually very tasty. Some boiled rice and frozen veg can be made for 30 pence.

A curry which is the equal of most restaurants for just over £3....

Just now, Great Guy said:

Marks and Spencer's sell tinned curry, for £2.80, which is actually very tasty. Some boiled rice and frozen veg can be made for 30 pence.

Most but not the best.

Having indian food with freshly roasted spices and fresh herbs is great. But very rare.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

saag paneer in a tin is what they serve in restaurants

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Most but not the best.

Having indian food with freshly roasted spices and fresh herbs is great. But very rare.

I have been trying a few things from these guys. The spices are very freshly ground and they have some interesting dishes.

https://www.thespicery.com

Wish I had done one tonight.

15 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

No shortage of curry places in Woking. Although if you have a free(ish) taxi service the fish curries at the Kayal in West Byfleet are pretty good.

Hmmm. Might be worth a try. I think you are local to indo so interested that you travel further afield.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have been trying a few things from these guys. The spices are very freshly ground and they have some interesting dishes.

https://www.thespicery.com

Wish I had done one tonight.

just order some of their lucky dip and trial packs, don't understand how they can charge £24 for a meal for 4 people in their subscription deal, these guys only charge £12 for 3 mains and 2 sides https://www.tyga.com/ and are very good, think it's the freshness of the spices that makes the difference.

12 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

just order some of their lucky dip and trial packs, don't understand how they can charge £24 for a meal for 4 people in their subscription deal, these guys only charge £12 for 3 mains and 2 sides https://www.tyga.com/ and are very good, think it's the freshness of the spices that makes the difference.

I think the £24 is a three month subscription. 

The one off kits are £2.95 or less if you buy 4.

I tried tyga but don't normally want a main and sides, and you are restricted to what they have selected that month so doesn't work for us.

And there was I assuming that Indian Restaurants main purpose was to provide somewhere for people to fall asleep into their food after they had imbibed a skinful. I am amazed people can actually remember what they ordered let alone what it tasted like.

Edited by Virgil Caine

2 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

And there was I assuming that Indian Restaurants main purpose was to provide somewhere for people to fall asleep into their food after they had imbibed a skinful. I am amazed people can actually remember what they ordered let alone what it tastes like.

You are thinking of the Raj in Oxshott. The staff used to wander over the road to the pub at last orders to take your curry order so you could stagger over to a ready meal once the bear threw you out.