• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Trip to Hull

I've got a gig in Hull in August, which unfortunately means I have to go to Hull.

I don't know anything about Hull except for a vague idea that it might be a bit of a dump.

So how should I play this? Fly in the day of the gig, fly out the day after? Or is Hull worth staying in for a few days, or is there anywhere near Hull that's worth staying in for a few days, with me taking a train/bus into Hull just for the gig?

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Its worth a weekend.

he old part has been tidied up.

Its pretty interesting but very weird - very end of the world feel about he place.

Its not violent of dangerous. Just wierd.

Yep.

and as far as I know it's the only place that has a monopoly on broadband as there's only one telecomms company (KC) that can dish out the fibre

Actually fuck me it's gonna be one hell of a hassle actually getting to Hull by the looks of things. Looks like Leeds might be the closest.

May have to re-think the trip despite wanting to go to the gig.

Edited by JoeDavola

11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Actually fuck me it's gonna be one hell of a hassle actually getting to Hull by the looks of things. Looks like Leeds might be the closest.

Fly to Rotterdam, then get the ferry to Hull.

What happens onm the North Sea ferry, stays on the North Sea ferry....

25 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

The town that gave us 'The Beautiful South' 'Everything but the Girl' ...and John Prescott*

* OK , he was from Wales originally.

& Roland Gift-Fine Young Cannibals. I remember his mum used to sell vintage clothing at the university students union.

1 hour ago, Anglepoise said:

& Roland Gift-Fine Young Cannibals. I remember his mum used to sell vintage clothing at the university students union.

& Shed Seven

They played one of their first gigs there (I think it was @ the Adelphi - right shit'ole). There was hardly anyone there apart from their mums (according to my brother)

3 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

& Shed Seven

They played one of their first gigs there (I think it was @ the Adelphi - right shit'ole). There was hardly anyone there apart from their mums (according to my brother)

Shed 7 are from Yawk.

4 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

& Shed Seven

And The Housemartins. And Everything But the Girl, famously named after a furniture shop in ("It's never dull in..") Hull.

Edited by The Idiocrat

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I've got a gig in Hull in August, which unfortunately means I have to go to Hull.

I don't know anything about Hull except for a vague idea that it might be a bit of a dump.

So how should I play this? Fly in the day of the gig, fly out the day after? Or is Hull worth staying in for a few days, or is there anywhere near Hull that's worth staying in for a few days, with me taking a train/bus into Hull just for the gig?

I n the Humber

Edited by Long time lurking

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Robin Hood air port ?

4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Meet up with the Yorkshire/Hartlepool lot one evening?

I got sent to Hull for 3 days many years back, I must have upset my boss. Can't remember anything except that it was a shithole and pretty cold as all that East coast is.

Is that the same as being sent to Coventry?  o.O

Hull is in Yorkshire I think, if so, probably best to ask one of our (many) Yorshirian dosbosians to clear your trip with the local tribal leaders, that way you should be able to get in, and out of the place in one piece.