• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Rat deterrents

No idea if it's practical but moving stuff around a lot disrupting their rat runs can encourage them to either not visit in the first place or go elsewhere after the obvious removal of food sources. Avoid using any recycled plastic products, particularly black bag type polythene, as they are attracted to the scent of the food waste that was on the original plastic before it was recycled into black bags.

Dog shit, no sorry thats foxes.

Air Gun. Ive got a Stoger.22  (missus) with a sniper type scope on it. I despatched a few very efficiently when i had ducks.

Cat. Pref one that wasn't born in a pet shop. Find one that was born in a hedge, and had to fend for itself for a bit. They'll kill anything.

9 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Dog shit, no sorry thats foxes.

Air Gun. Ive got a Stoger.22  (missus) with a sniper type scope on it. I despatched a few very efficiently when i had ducks.

Cat. Pref one that wasn't born in a pet shop. Find one that was born in a hedge, and had to fend for itself for a bit. They'll kill anything.

Farm yard cats. Ours used to disappear for days eating rabbits & rats (stable loft used to be the place for eating them judging by the pelts left).

Take away any sources of food, traps, peanut butter is good - the big cheese ones are easy to set and finger safe. If you have concrete floor and no sign of them entering the house then consider poison but be really careful where you bait if you have dogs.

Seemingly some farmers have problems with rats in their hay barns. Over the year they use their hay up and eventually the rats are living in one bale of hay. This bale is then taken outside and covered in petrol then set alight....

Rather than a deterrent, what about killing them? My internetting tells me a "rolling log trap" over a bucket (with water in it) works well, for mice and for rats. Put Nutella/some sort of bait round the middle of the log and leave it for a few days. The rats will be cautious at first but it should work. Make sure you put water in the bucket so they drown rather than fight each other to death.

Obviously get rid of all food sources and block up entry holes with coarse wire wool too.

Hope you get it sorted, I've had mice before and they are bad enough, rats would freak me out even more though.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Cats are good at this.

^^ That's probably the best solution, something like this would almost certainly deter any rats from coming anywhere near you :

TELEMMGLPICT000130481975_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Though a smaller one would probably work too, and be less likely to eat you.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Seemingly some farmers have problems with rats in their hay barns. Over the year they use their hay up and eventually the rats are living in one bale of hay. This bale is then taken outside and covered in petrol then set alight....

See the video above your post it`s far more entertaining