• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Amazon warehouse workers in UK 'peed in bottles' over fears of being punished for taking a break

Wondering why your Amazon package smelt of piss? xD

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-workers-have-to-pee-into-bottles-2018-4?

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos may be the world's richest person, with a net worth of about $112 billion (£78 billion), but at least some of those working on his warehouse floors are apparently so desperate to keep their jobs that they don't even take time to use a restroom.

The author James Bloodworth went undercover at an Amazon warehouse in Staffordshire, UK, for a book on low wages in Britain. He found that the warehouse's fulfillment workers, who run around Amazon's massive warehouses gathering products for delivery, had a "toilet bottle" system in place because the bathrooms were too sparse to get to quickly.

"For those of us who worked on the top floor, the closest toilets were down four flights of stairs," Bloodworth told The Sun. "People just peed in bottles because they lived in fear of being ­disciplined over 'idle time' and ­losing their jobs just because they needed the loo."

Amazon is known to track how fast its warehouse workers can pick and package items from its shelves, imposing strictly timed breaks and targets. It issues warning points for those who don't meet its goals or who take extended breaks.

7 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Wondering why your Amazon package smelt of piss? xD

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-workers-have-to-pee-into-bottles-2018-4?

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos may be the world's richest person, with a net worth of about $112 billion (£78 billion), but at least some of those working on his warehouse floors are apparently so desperate to keep their jobs that they don't even take time to use a restroom.

The author James Bloodworth went undercover at an Amazon warehouse in Staffordshire, UK, for a book on low wages in Britain. He found that the warehouse's fulfillment workers, who run around Amazon's massive warehouses gathering products for delivery, had a "toilet bottle" system in place because the bathrooms were too sparse to get to quickly.

"For those of us who worked on the top floor, the closest toilets were down four flights of stairs," Bloodworth told The Sun. "People just peed in bottles because they lived in fear of being ­disciplined over 'idle time' and ­losing their jobs just because they needed the loo."

Amazon is known to track how fast its warehouse workers can pick and package items from its shelves, imposing strictly timed breaks and targets. It issues warning points for those who don't meet its goals or who take extended breaks.

Disgraceful!

Soon we’ll be reading stories about uk amazon workers topping themselves similar to the China factory workers suicide stories.

If humans are being treated in that manner for profits I welcome drones conditional on the payment of a citizen income to all!

But this sort of journalism does make it difficult to tell what is going on.

but at least some of those working on his warehouse floors are apparently so desperate to keep their jobs that they don't even take time to use a restroom.

Means one person told him this.

And:

People just peed in bottles because they lived in fear of being ­disciplined over 'idle time' and ­losing their jobs just because they needed the loo."

Means someone said this happened once.  I'm not even sure it is that big a deal -- I've known people that'll piss in a bottle even where these isn't any actual need.

Now, I don't think that it's going to be a great career move to get a job there, but I'm not sure it is the shitty place made out in the report.  There are loads of reports on 'working for Amazon' online, and they all pretty much say 'ok place to work' on average.  

I do think that there is a need to sort out some aspects of zero-hours contracts for staff working in such places, but in the story that is a nuance that was barely mentioned, and well behind 'they make you pee in a bottle'.

IMO the story here is 'unsuccessful 'author' James (historically 60,000'th on Amazon sales rank) goes underground to find out about poor working conditions -- hardly a surprise that he found 'poor working conditions'.  And he gets some nice free publicity that gets him to 1,200th sales rank.

At age 14 my gran went to work in a cotton mill in Lancashire. On day two there she saw someone’s scalp torn clean off by a piece of machinery that got ahold of her long hair which wasn’t tied up in a bonnet as it should have been. Pissing in a bottle seems mild compared to that really.

36 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Surely they could just piss up against a tree?? ;-)

On a serious note, I loathe to ask how or where they took a dump.

As a 2-3 dump at work a day person, I could never work for Amazon.

WTF! Do you shit more because you are at work, and are therefore getting paid for it, and having free bogroll, and dosbodsing time?

I thought I shat a lot, to the extent I have dubbed myself Sir Dump-a-Lot.

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

But this sort of journalism does make it difficult to tell what is going on.

Means one person told him this.

And:

Means someone said this happened once.  I'm not even sure it is that big a deal -- I've known people that'll piss in a bottle even where these isn't any actual need.

Now, I don't think that it's going to be a great career move to get a job there, but I'm not sure it is the shitty place made out in the report.  There are loads of reports on 'working for Amazon' online, and they all pretty much say 'ok place to work' on average.  

I do think that there is a need to sort out some aspects of zero-hours contracts for staff working in such places, but in the story that is a nuance that was barely mentioned, and well behind 'they make you pee in a bottle'.

IMO the story here is 'unsuccessful 'author' James (historically 60,000'th on Amazon sales rank) goes underground to find out about poor working conditions -- hardly a surprise that he found 'poor working conditions'.  And he gets some nice free publicity that gets him to 1,200th sales rank.

When I read the story in the paper I wondered if it was the Amazon warehouse which @stokiescum had worked in, Stokie?

14 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

At age 14 my gran went to work in a cotton mill in Lancashire. On day two there she saw someone’s scalp torn clean off by a piece of machinery that got ahold of her long hair which wasn’t tied up in a bonnet as it should have been. Pissing in a bottle seems mild compared to that really.

We've moved on a bit since then I would've hoped, it's a slippery slope though, especially with all that piss on it.

Lorry drivers piss in bottles and throw them out of the window, the roads leading up to the industrial estate/distribution hub near me are littered with the festering piss bombs.

The contents eventually change from straw colour to a disgusting shade of reddy-brown.

Filthy continental bastards.

BING!

Here's innovative answer. They should fit catheters to the staff and pee bags. So they can walk, pee and work at the same time! No need for breaks!

The wonders to drive for 100% productivity!

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

BING!

Here's innovative answer. They should fit catheters to the staff and pee bags. So they can walk, pee and work at the same time! No need for breaks!

The wonders to drive for 100% productivity!

Given some of the weird shit Amazon well they could likely force the staff to construct their own “comfort packages” from stuff in the warehouse and take the cost from their wages.

1 hour ago, NewryH said:

I think I'd be popping off to see a doctor.

Only if I can also do that on works time.

52 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Lorry drivers piss in bottles and throw them out of the window, the roads leading up to the industrial estate/distribution hub near me are littered with the festering piss bombs.

The contents eventually change from straw colour to a disgusting shade of reddy-brown.

Filthy continental bastards.

Truckers Lemonade I believe.

59 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

WTF! Do you shit more because you are at work, and are therefore getting paid for it, and having free bogroll, and dosbodsing time?

I thought I shat a lot, to the extent I have dubbed myself Sir Dump-a-Lot.

Bingo. Paid to shit and read Dosbods.

Do get cramp after a while though.

Just now, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Bingo. Paid to shit and read Dosbods.

Do get cramp after a while though.

Just one of the disadvantages of being self employed, one of the biggest ones though I reckon, work shits were the best shits.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've pissed in a bottle in the back of my van. Sometimes there's no other option.

Can be slightly dodgy if Betty has foisted three cups of tea on you and you've only got a little bottle to hand. I've watched those water levels rise with the same increasing panic as those on the Titanic did, though thankfully have never had to employ the full 'pencil grip'.

I'll find a drain later to tip it down rather than add to the bottles of road tizer that seem to be bloody everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've pissed in a bottle in the back of my van. Sometimes there's no other option.

Can be slightly dodgy if Betty has foisted three cups of tea on you and you've only got a little bottle to hand. I've watched those water levels rise with the same increasing panic as those on the Titanic did, though thankfully have never had to employ the full 'pencil grip'.

I'll find a drain later to tip it down rather than add to the bottles of road tizer that seem to be bloody everywhere.

I was struck on the M25 once and desperate for a pee. I had to go in an empty coke bottle. Half a litre later and I couldn't bloody stop could I? 

Mate of mine who's a big fat bastard can't go a full 8 hours without going for a shit. He goes in a bucket in the back of his van. He rarely gets asked to give anyone a lift home. 

7 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I was struck on the M25 once and desperate for a pee. I had to go in an empty coke bottle. Half a litre later and I couldn't bloody stop could I? 

Mate of mine who's a big fat bastard can't go a full 8 hours without going for a shit. He goes in a bucket in the back of his van. He rarely gets asked to give anyone a lift home. 

Ew!

Also, how can you pee into a Coke bottle? A Lucozade bottle maybe but not a Coke one surely?

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I knew a guy who would piss into a bit of conduit with the end hanging out the back of his van. I think quite a few people did that from the company who put the (fibre optic) cable into the streets, back when that was being done.

Could you rig up a wee urinal thing in the back of your van, with a tube going down through the floor and  underneath the van maybe?

4 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Ew!

Also, how can you pee into a Coke bottle? A Lucozade bottle maybe but not a Coke one surely?

I totally concur with your curiosity.  Not that I'm boasting or anything but anything less than a peanut jar and I can't use it. 

6 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

I totally concur with your curiosity.  Not that I'm boasting or anything but anything less than a peanut jar and I can't use it. 

It could be that we lack accuracy, or it could be a bore issue.

Something related to armaments anyway I think...

O.o

Could this be an eastern European thing, this peeing in a bottle. Round here the hedgerows are littered with bottles of yellow piss that the Polish lorry drivers sling out the window. I wish i was joking.