• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Netflix v BBC

Radio presenter woing at difference - Netflix spending 8bln v. BBC 2bln.

But I dont want a fraction of the So-Called BBC content compared to Netflix.

If the So-Called BBC spent 16bln Id still probably not watch any more.

Besides, Netflix is rolled out t the world. the So-Called BBC mainly servers 66m.

Netflix has had a lot of fairly big hits, but it's still looking for its Sopranos or GOT. 

I find a lot of the stuff on there really formulaic, just watching Lost in Space. It got great write-ups and the kids seem to like it, but I don't think it's all that.

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Netflix has had a lot of fairly big hits, but it's still looking for its Sopranos or GOT. 

I find a lot of the stuff on there really formulaic, just watching Lost in Space. It got great write-ups and the kids seem to like it, but I don't think it's all that.

They are aspiring though.  I saw a trailer for some new BBC drama with Christopher Ecclestone and even from the trailer it was clearly "by the numbers" writing. Formulaic, tired, and interchangeable with every faux gritty contemporary BBC drama.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They are aspiring though.  I saw a trailer for some new BBC drama with Christopher Ecclestone and even from the trailer it was clearly "by the numbers" writing. Formulaic, tired, and interchangeable with every faux gritty contemporary BBC drama.

It's an interesting one. To me what seems obvious with Netflix is that they have a pipeline and all shows are designed to be stand alone for one season, they seem to start a hell of a lot. 

Then depending on viewing figures they either commission another series or just can it. They've just canned Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective agency, which I really enjoyed, but whatever :)

What this allows them to do is explore a lot of genres and have programs with a range of budgets and just accept that they won't all be winners. the So-Called BBC seem to be still stuck in the mode of launching big programs in the autumn and filling the rest of the year with repeats or crap. It's a model that's as dead as everyone settling down at 9 o'clock on a Friday to watch their favourite program.

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Was Christhopher Ecclestone played by a black man, muslim or woman?

I think Mr Ecclestone has become the So-Called BBC's goto Northerner.

BBC needs killing

42 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Stranger Things is probably it's most popular. Not as good as GoT though but I love it.

I think one issue that they have is there are too many series available, they do have a tendancy to chuck loads of money at a show and see if it sticks which isn't a complaint really, just means more stuff for us to watch.

Haven't seen anything yet that rivals Band of Brothers though.

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Stranger Things is probably it's most popular. Not as good as GoT though but I love it.

I think one issue that they have is there are too many series available, they do have a tendancy to chuck loads of money at a show and see if it sticks which isn't a complaint really, just means more stuff for us to watch.

Haven't seen anything yet that rivals Band of Brothers though.

BoB cost something like £100m to make iirc and took 5 years as it sat in production hell or whatever they call it.  

Theres also The Pacific which few people seem to know about but it's by the same people. Not quite as good... but still very good. 

Back to the So-Called BBC,  any normal company would look at Netflix success and try to emulate it by going optional monthly subscription. If they put up their entire back catalogue for viewing it'd be a huge success. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Radio presenter woing at difference - Netflix spending 8bln v. BBC 2bln.

But I dont want a fraction of the So-Called BBC content compared to Netflix.

If the So-Called BBC spent 16bln Id still probably not watch any more.

Besides, Netflix is rolled out t the world. the So-Called BBC mainly servers 66m.

HBO spends about 2bln on new content per year also, and is better than Netflix by a country mile. I find BBC drama to be literally unwatchable so not even in the running.

Posted (edited)

Netflix has been going (in current form) for 10 years.  In that time they've built a massive business by meeting a demand.  They exist in a market with competition from several directions, including traditional suppliers and other demand services.  And every single one of their customers can leave with about a month's notice.

BBC has been going forever. They've had a monopoly for the majority of that time.  Their customers are all compelled by law to pay for their service, and societal chances have made that service pretty much mandatory.  When competition did emerge, decades ago, their customers had to pay for the So-Called BBC even if they weren't using that service.  Over the last few years it has been possible for customers to leave, but they'll be hounded by the So-Called BBC for payment anyway, with strong implications that they're a criminal even if innocent.

Edited by dgul

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

HBO spends about 2bln on new content per year also, and is better than Netflix by a country mile. I find BBC drama to be literally unwatchable so not even in the running.

Your expression "literally unwatchable" could come across as a bit hyperbolic but Mrs. Eight tried to watch Troy recently and had to admit defeat after about three and a half episodes. She said it wasn't so much that it was badly made, or boring (it was) but more that it had an actual deterrent quality, something about it rendered it impossible to watch.

15 minutes ago, eight said:

Your expression "literally unwatchable" could come across as a bit hyperbolic but Mrs. Eight tried to watch Troy recently and had to admit defeat after about three and a half episodes. She said it wasn't so much that it was badly made, or boring (it was) but more that it had an actual deterrent quality, something about it rendered it impossible to watch.

I don't think I have managed more than about 10 minutes before having to either switch it off or leave the room in years.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Perhaps a better comparator is Sky.  They spend about £6bln on programming and are largely UK based. 

However, they had a completely different model, and largely spunk most of their money on sport (= football).  They can be thought of as a mechanism to transfer money from households to footballers.

Arguably, Netflix is doing for 'younger people that like reasonable-quality drama' what Sky did for sports (=football) fans.

Edited by dgul

I had a month's free subs on Netflix. I thought Peaky Blinders and The Crown were good, but everything else seemed to be the kind of stuff you find in the 99p DVD basket at Cash Converters.

One thing the So-Called BBC does, or did, quite well is radio drama. Good for long car journeys. I've just downloaded about 25 radio plays from the 70s on Youtube. I find the 1970s the best era as prior to that the sound quality was not so good and after that, PC started to creep in. 

5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I had a month's free subs on Netflix. I thought Peaky Blinders and The Crown were good, but everything else seemed to be the kind of stuff you find in the 99p DVD basket at Cash Converters.

Sky has exclusive UK licencing for much of the decent stuff produced in US studios which is why people try to bypass the Netflix country restrictions.

1 hour ago, eight said:

I tried to watch the new Agatha Christie remake the other day, having read a good writeup -- plus I like Victorian / early 20th Century murder mystery type setups. But it quickly became apparent it was overloaded with inaccurate PC dogma, plus the usual modern slang and casual swearing. I don't know why I was surprised really, and reminded me how glad I was that I don't pay £160 a year to fund that shit.

Apparently they even changed the entire ending of the plot to make it more PC. Can't have a downtrodden woman as the killer nowadays. WTF.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I tried to watch the new Agatha Christie remake the other day, having read a good writeup -- plus I like Victorian / early 20th Century murder mystery type setups. But it quickly became apparent it was overloaded with inaccurate PC dogma, plus the usual modern slang and casual swearing. I don't know why I was surprised really, and reminded me how glad I was that I don't pay £160 a year to fund that shit.

Apparently they even changed the entire ending of the plot to make it more PC. Can't have a downtrodden woman as the killer nowadays. WTF.

Oh they can. Just not going to jail. Because women are more likely to steal stuff than blokes, so the murdering ones get treated like shoplifters.

I'm curious to watch the slow demise of the BPC (as I call them - Broadcasting Political Correctness). Their two biggest shows of the last decade: Doctor Who and Top Gear are both going to die very shortly - Top Gear will probably be 'quietly dropped' at some point this year as it's viewing figures are still dire (half of what Clarkson and co were bringing in - and they don't tend to talk about international sales much anymore). And with Doctor Who - the whole changing him to her is going to backfire big time in my opinion. There is only so much PC the general public will stand and I now believe the BPC have pushed it too far. I have heard a rumour that they're currently losing 1m licence fee payers a year. No idea if it's true (cannot be arsed to check) but it would not surprise me with the endless propaganda and PC bullshit. There is so much more choice now and the current, next and Generation Z'ers don't want the outdated "watch when we tell you and THINK what we tell you" model.

I only morn what the Beeb once was. Most, if not all, of my favourite programmes growing up was from the Beeb - Bottom, Red Dwarf, Rab C Nesbit, Game On, Dennis Pennis, They Think It's All Over (before Lineker became a full time SJW twat) to name a few...

WTF went wrong?

2 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

What's it going to be called? Guilty as Sin?

It is going to be difficult to make it both objective, and longer than ten minutes.

Just now, eight said:

It is going to be difficult to make it both objective, and longer than ten minutes.

If it was footage of the Portuguese Police finally nailing the bastards, I'd certainly watch.

I don't know what really happened - I doubt the public will ever know. But one thing I am absolutely sure of... They were involved somehow. But they were rich - even more so now. They had influence. They knew the right people. Nothing will ever happen except their bank account will continue to get bigger.

Makes you wonder if the McCanns are related to the Clintons?

7 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Makes you wonder if the McCanns are related to the Clintons?

I don't want to derail this particular thread, but it's an observation that has been made before. Certainly taken a few leaves out of the Clinton playbook over the years.

I will start a dedicated thread should this series ever see the light of day - these things have a habit of failing to materialise.