• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Everentt

Is the mud clear? New MOT rules

The logic was sort of sound based on the original point of having an MOT..  if it fails it has a serious fault and needs fixing.  Latest test trumps any previous..  makes sense.   That was when MOTs were about actual important things.

It strikes me that this is probably just to catch out all the VW drivers who decided they didn't want to take their beloved car to the dealer to have the engine detuned.  But perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

That's me buggered. My engine management system light has been on for years. No-one has ever been able to work out why.

Shame because there are a good few years left in the old Jeep yet.

:wanker:

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's me buggered. My engine management system light has been on for years. No-one has ever been able to work out why.

Shame because there are a good few years left in the old Jeep yet.

:wanker:

Take the bulb out?

7 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Take the bulb out?

I was thinking that but a) it is probably bloody difficult getting the dash out and b) They will probably need to check it comes on in the pre ignition stage.

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I was thinking that but a) it is probably bloody difficult getting the dash out and b) They will probably need to check it comes on in the pre ignition stage.

Clear the fault before you have the MOT using a OBD reader?

On 4/21/2018 at 21:05, gibbon said:

I've had some success doing this with a cheap bluetooth OBD reader from ebay and the Torque app.

10 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I've had some success doing this with a cheap bluetooth OBD reader from ebay and the Torque app.

Same here, although I did fix the fault before clearing it.

On 21/04/2018 at 21:05, gibbon said:

Magically it has stayed off for the last couple of days.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

If I return I’m definitely going to buy a car that’s proper old, not only do you not get dashlight issues, they are not and tax exempt and if you buy the right one they attract the right attention

On 23/04/2018 at 22:30, InLikeFlynn said:

I have the same but didn't realise Torque could clear fault indications.

The default Torque display hides some icons from view by default, I didn't realise they are there. Poor graphic design.

And now I see there is a Renault-specific Torque plugin, which has crap reviews.

I've also go a beefier hand-held OBD reader. I must learn how to use it.

Edited by Happy Renting

Crash sensor went just before mot so warning light would be a fail.  A reset pointless as would come back straight away. 

Needed a top range reader to id which sensor or just replace each in turn.  Sourced a new ome sensor via ebay from germany.  Massive range of quoted prices.  A few must dos to fix to avoid setting airbag off and alls well. 

VW polo warning light was always coming on due to known emissions sensor issue.  In that case a reset would have worked long enough to pass mot as emissions fine.  VWs too pretty pretty with electrics and sensors for me to buy again.

Edited by Harley