• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Everentt

Is the mud clear? New MOT rules

The logic was sort of sound based on the original point of having an MOT..  if it fails it has a serious fault and needs fixing.  Latest test trumps any previous..  makes sense.   That was when MOTs were about actual important things.

It strikes me that this is probably just to catch out all the VW drivers who decided they didn't want to take their beloved car to the dealer to have the engine detuned.  But perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

That's me buggered. My engine management system light has been on for years. No-one has ever been able to work out why.

Shame because there are a good few years left in the old Jeep yet.

:wanker:

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's me buggered. My engine management system light has been on for years. No-one has ever been able to work out why.

Shame because there are a good few years left in the old Jeep yet.

:wanker:

Take the bulb out?

7 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Take the bulb out?

I was thinking that but a) it is probably bloody difficult getting the dash out and b) They will probably need to check it comes on in the pre ignition stage.

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I was thinking that but a) it is probably bloody difficult getting the dash out and b) They will probably need to check it comes on in the pre ignition stage.

Clear the fault before you have the MOT using a OBD reader?

On 4/21/2018 at 21:05, gibbon said:

I've had some success doing this with a cheap bluetooth OBD reader from ebay and the Torque app.

10 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I've had some success doing this with a cheap bluetooth OBD reader from ebay and the Torque app.

Same here, although I did fix the fault before clearing it.

On 21/04/2018 at 21:05, gibbon said:

Magically it has stayed off for the last couple of days.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

If I return I’m definitely going to buy a car that’s proper old, not only do you not get dashlight issues, they are not and tax exempt and if you buy the right one they attract the right attention

On 23/04/2018 at 22:30, InLikeFlynn said:

I have the same but didn't realise Torque could clear fault indications.

The default Torque display hides some icons from view by default, I didn't realise they are there. Poor graphic design.

And now I see there is a Renault-specific Torque plugin, which has crap reviews.

I've also go a beefier hand-held OBD reader. I must learn how to use it.

Edited by Happy Renting

Crash sensor went just before mot so warning light would be a fail.  A reset pointless as would come back straight away. 

Needed a top range reader to id which sensor or just replace each in turn.  Sourced a new ome sensor via ebay from germany.  Massive range of quoted prices.  A few must dos to fix to avoid setting airbag off and alls well. 

VW polo warning light was always coming on due to known emissions sensor issue.  In that case a reset would have worked long enough to pass mot as emissions fine.  VWs too pretty pretty with electrics and sensors for me to buy again.

Edited by Harley

On 14/10/2018 at 20:27, Harley said:

Crash sensor went just before mot so warning light would be a fail.  A reset pointless as would come back straight away. 

Needed a top range reader to id which sensor or just replace each in turn.  Sourced a new ome sensor via ebay from germany.  Massive range of quoted prices.  A few must dos to fix to avoid setting airbag off and alls well. 

VW? Loads of people with VCDS dotted about to do a scan. Depending on the issue some components can be disabled... 

Any car with a seven year warranty will quite obviously never have these problems.

Don't buy a European car, problem solved.

Famous Chinese proverb say:  No European car have 7 year warranty

I know someone who bought a cheap Audi S8 with a dashboard like a Christmas tree and no MOT due to faults indicated.

Rewired all the indicators showing as faults to one that didn't, all the lights lit for the pre-ignition checks and then went out. MOT passed.

In fairness to him he did reinstate them over time as he fixed the faults.

Edited by Option5
trying errur

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

I know someone who bought a cheap Audi S8 with a dashboard like a Christmas tree and no MOT due to faults indicated.

Rewired all the indicators showing as faults to one that didn't, all the lights lit for the pre-ignition checks and then went out. MOT passed.

In fairness to him he did reinstate them over time as he fixed the faults.

Sounds like a mate who sold his "semi" running Audi A6 - serious engine problems he thought, ran really badly with clouds of black smoke. Garage told him it needed a new motor and was uneconomic to repair. A "serb" paid 3.5 grand for it, friend thought the Serb was mad.

He crossed the Serb a few months later and asked how he got on fixing the car "I did it with a laptop" he told my friend. Apparently it was software / config issues with the engine management unit.

6 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Sounds like a mate who sold his "semi" running Audi A6 - serious engine problems he thought, ran really badly with clouds of black smoke. Garage told him it needed a new motor and was uneconomic to repair. A "serb" paid 3.5 grand for it, friend thought the Serb was mad.

He crossed the Serb a few months later and asked how he got on fixing the car "I did it with a laptop" he told my friend. Apparently it was software / config issues with the engine management unit.

Two faults on the S8 I helped him diagnose and fix.

Gearbox fault, £15k for a new box at Audi, cleaned two filters in the hydraulic section accessed by removing a plate on the bottom of the gearbox, cost 2 hours and £28 for new fluid.

Airbag fault. Audi couldn't find it, pressure sensor pad had come unglued from the seat base and backrest, carpet glue fixed them both. Engine light went out when those two were fixed.

He paid £5k for a then £20k car

Fixed it in a day for under £50

Main stealers are not particularly good at repairs.

Remember, all those who get cars on PCP have to have them dealer serviced so guaranteed income for a few years so no need to make an effort.

On 19/10/2018 at 19:55, Cosmic Apple said:

VW? Loads of people with VCDS dotted about to do a scan. Depending on the issue some components can be disabled... 

Not this one.  Point was could reset some warnings for long enough for mot but not others.

15 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Fuck me that`s German efficiency for you a light to tell you you are about to die 

That one was a 10yr Hyundai.

On 20/10/2018 at 00:32, Happy Renting said:

Just switch off the crash.

Can't.  Crash sensor requires postive flow.

16 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Any car with a seven year warranty will quite obviously never have these problems.

Don't buy a European car, problem solved.

Famous Chinese proverb say:  No European car have 7 year warranty

Kia considering extending the warranty from 7 years to 10 years.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/kia-says-it-could-extend-its-warranty-coverage-to-10-years/news-story/cad538f48c96b1c78b0feb1aa8a41b38

Ive never owned one but the new Stinger looks alright, should be cheapish after a few years depreciation

images.jpeg

Edited by Sugarlips

5 hours ago, Harley said:

Not this one.  Point was could reset some warnings for long enough for mot but not others.

That one was a 10yr Hyundai.

Can't.  Crash sensor requires postive flow.

Plus could set the airbag off a la "you were just meant to blow the doors off"!

On 20/10/2018 at 17:42, Option5 said:

Two faults on the S8 I helped him diagnose and fix.

Gearbox fault, £15k for a new box at Audi, cleaned two filters in the hydraulic section accessed by removing a plate on the bottom of the gearbox, cost 2 hours and £28 for new fluid.

Airbag fault. Audi couldn't find it, pressure sensor pad had come unglued from the seat base and backrest, carpet glue fixed them both. Engine light went out when those two were fixed.

He paid £5k for a then £20k car

Fixed it in a day for under £50

Main stealers are not particularly good at repairs.

Remember, all those who get cars on PCP have to have them dealer serviced so guaranteed income for a few years so no need to make an effort.

It's not only that they aren't good at repairs, it's just that they want to rip you off. Trust me they'd of known it was just a small job.

On 13/10/2018 at 23:44, Sugarlips said:

If I return I’m definitely going to buy a car that’s proper old, not only do you not get dashlight issues, they are not and tax exempt and if you buy the right one they attract the right attention

You're also going to spend every weekend repairing it and cutting out rust if you're talking original VW Beetle age. If you're not handy with a spanner then you'll get your weekends back but you'll be taking out a new mortgage to pay the garage fees. Better off getting something say 10 years old and is easy to work on.