DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Where in England can you buy a house for £100,000?

The Idiocrat

The Idiocrat

Met a pal for beers last night. He's getting divorced and has had enough. He's not loaded, but has enough saved to get him to retirement (he's ealy 50s) if he lives modestly and extracts some cash from his current house he's going to have to sell up in the south. So, he's looking to buy a house for cash for £100k-£120k (ideally 3 bedroom, might accept 2) and wants it to be somewhere decent in a town/city anywhere in England. He doesn't seem to mind where, and is very sociable with wide interests and well travelled in the UK (sales rep/manager). 

He knows I have a view on property so has asked me for any tips. So far I've only come up with Chesterfield, although I haven't been there for years it seemed decent when I used to visit regularly and has the Peak District next door. Sheffield? Manchester? (not Hull or Liverpool!).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One percent

Loads of places. Put Brotton into rightmove for example 

whether you would actually want to live there is another matter 

The Idiocrat
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Loads of places. Put Brotton into rightmove for example 

whether you would actually want to live there is another matter 

Thank you. Yes, "would want to live there" is the main criterion - realise lots of cheap crap places around. Still Brotton bloody cheap! Ta.

One percent
1 hour ago, The Idiocrat said:

Thank you. Yes, "would want to live there" is the main criterion - realise lots of cheap crap places around. Still Brotton bloody cheap! Ta.

For a reason.  Boro feral scum being rehoused there....

Great Yarmouth is the cheapest place to buy a house in my county of Norfolk. Maybe not the best place to live, however. Some of the areas outside it may just come under budget, such as Caister or Bradwell. Lowestoft just over the Suffolk border too perhaps?

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I've never been to the Isle of Wight but it looks quite good value for money by southern standards. And he doesn't have to worry about working which I hear is the main ballache there.

I think Stokie said you can buy a house in Stoke for £100k quite easily...

Wight Flight
21 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've never been to the Isle of Wight but it looks quite good value for money by southern standards. And he doesn't have to worry about working which I hear is the main ballache there.

Off there tomorrow to investigate my move next year.

Amazing how much a 5 mile stretch of water can dent house prices.

Frank Hovis

I don't claim to know it, or even have been there, but Lincoln always seems a pleasant cathedral city if a bit in the middle of nowhere.  Though for me that last would be a plus.

Several proper houses under £100k here as well as the usual flats, shared ownership, and park homes.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^804&sortType=1

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 4/17/2018 at 12:40, The Idiocrat said:

Combining "would want to live there" and 3 bed house in a town under 100k in the UK is going to be tricky IMO. Even if you find somewhere, chances are it will be filled with enrichers in no time due to the cheapness. Since most of the UK also has a shit climate......

The Isle of Wight looks the best bet posted so far.

To put in perspective the prices seen so far, here's one for about 50kGBP in a pleasant little town with a beautiful chateau on a canal with a cycle path about 25km from the coast  in Southern Brittany. 

http://www.logic-immo.com/detail-vente-62957b82-471c-e02f-57da-c9befade01e8.htm

The Idiocrat
23 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Combining "would want to live there" and 3 bed house in a town under 100k in the UK is going to be tricky IMO. Even if you find somewhere, chances are it will be filled with enrichers in no time due to the cheapness. Since most of the UK also has a shit climate......

The Isle of Wight looks the best bet posted so far.

To put in perspective the prices seen so far, here's one for about 50kGBP in a pleasant little town with a beautiful chateau on a canal with a cycle path about 25km from the coast  in Southern Brittany. 

http://www.logic-immo.com/detail-vente-62957b82-471c-e02f-57da-c9befade01e8.htm

Might be tempted myself! - used to live up the road in Rennes and loved it. Thanks for the tips. Pal has to stay in UK and very much prefers it to be England. Isle of White might be a bit off-piste for him though as he would like to be able to travel around by car easily cross-country, but looks like a surprisingly low priced spot assuming (and I've only been once) there are lots of holiday houses that are empty most of year and rented houses for tourists. Cheers.

Wight Flight
6 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Starting the research tomorrow

Could probably get this for £1,500 per month - cheaper than a flat round here...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-53974611.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_term=letting&sc_id=16575383&onetime_FromEmail=true

swiss_democracy_for_all
15 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Nice idea. I have a request too. Where can I buy a 4 bed detached with a decent plot 1/4 acre min close to a decent school for 350k?

Fortunately you haven't specified decent climate or actually wanting to live there so you have a lot of Wales and some of the North to go at......:P

Hail the Tripod
1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Fortunately you haven't specified decent climate or actually wanting to live there so you have a lot of Wales and some of the North to go at......:P

I actually really liked Swansea when I lived there. It was a good while ago now though.

You can get a large 4 bed detached for £310,000 close to the park and the beach http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52564005.html

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I actually really liked Swansea when I lived there. It was a good while ago now though.

You can get a large 4 bed detached for £310,000 close to the park and the beach http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52564005.html

Twin Town! :D

Did the town authorities ever sue the filmmakers? It didn't exactly paint the nicest picture....

Hail the Tripod
7 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Twin Town! :D

Did the town authorities ever sue the filmmakers? It didn't exactly paint the nicest picture....

Never seen it. Looks like it's on youtube, so will give it a try.

Green Devil
3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I also agree there is not much of a chance apart from as you say wales or cheap northern areas ie sunderland etc. Perhaps rural scotland too.

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

House is OK on that one, but wheres the 1/2 acre? Rear courtyard postage stamp.

Could get something that fits the bill in france? Family homes in the UK are no longer in reach (except for those that are already owners).

swiss_democracy_for_all
9 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I also agree there is not much of a chance apart from as you say wales or cheap northern areas ie sunderland etc. Perhaps rural scotland too.

House is OK on that one, but wheres the 1/2 acre? Rear courtyard postage stamp.

Could get something that fits the bill in france? Family homes in the UK are no longer in reach (except for those that are already owners).

Loads to go at with land in France for that money or indeed a lot less outside the Parisian region and the holiday hotspots. As you're a Dosbodder you might approve of Le Pen's attitude to the EU but you don't want to be a foreigner living in a Le Pen stronghold, so If you have no constraints regarding work then head further south and west in general, check the recent election results of any place you consider, and maybe rent for a bit first.

For schools you'll probably want the private(not ruinously expensive) usually Catholic ones, you may or may not love Catholicism but it does put off the enrichers. @davidg could give better advice than me, he actually lives in France in Haute Savoie

5 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Loads to go at with land in France for that money or indeed a lot less outside the Parisian region and the holiday hotspots. As you're a Dosbodder you might approve of Le Pen's attitude to the EU but you don't want to be a foreigner living in a Le Pen stronghold, so If you have no constraints regarding work then head further south and west in general, check the recent election results of any place you consider, and maybe rent for a bit first.

For schools you'll probably want the private(not ruinously expensive) usually Catholic ones, you may or may not love Catholicism but it does put off the enrichers. @davidg could give better advice than me, he actually lives in France in Haute Savoie

I was only in the HS when I worked in GVA, now back in the 3/8. A couple of our local cato private schools are very culturally enriched as all the mozzas who have a hope for their kids future outside a life of drug dealing have sent their kids there. The HS has some good schools, both private and public.

Around here, Grenoble, housing is very expensive. Brittany looks like a much better bet.

Archived