DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Where in England can you buy a house for £100,000?

The Idiocrat

33 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Stockton town centre is an absolute shithole.

I'm not sure I've ever been. Despite living close to Darlo town centre I try to visit as infrequently as possible - probably no more than five times a year.

I'm as likely to drive to Thornaby(!) or Northallerton.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kurt Barlow
9 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Yes, KL seems on par with GY in the house price stakes. I researched KL prices a long time ago.

Get yourself a classy suburban pad down on Fairstead or a Town Apartment (Hillington Square):D

43 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Get yourself a classy suburban pad down on Fairstead or a Town Apartment (Hillington Square):D

I had to check those places on google maps. The current place I live in isn't far removed from what Hillington Sq looks like (a bit lower rise than that though). :ph34r:

On 19/04/2018 at 14:06, Hail the Tripod said:

Never seen it. Looks like it's on youtube, so will give it a try.

Surprised you've missed that, proper facking film that is boyo.

Austin Allegro

Just in case anyone has forgotten, may I remind them that chateaux in France may appear to be cheap as pommes frites but will require huge outlays in maintenance, unless you want to live with buckets catching leaks from the roof and bits of cardboard keeping the wind out. Attempts to get local tradesmen to work there will make your life something like 'A Year in Provence'.  

Same with nice old looking thatched cottages in Britain, they're usually cheap for a reason. 

I got a small two up two down for £148k in a fairly remote but reasonably lively part of East Anglia, with a friendly, unenriched local community. The house is 19th century but in good condition with character (open fireplace, cottage garden etc) and doesn't need any major work done on it, if it did it would not cost a huge amount anyway. 

Green Devil
5 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Just in case anyone has forgotten, may I remind them that chateaux in France may appear to be cheap as pommes frites but will require huge outlays in maintenance, unless you want to live with buckets catching leaks from the roof and bits of cardboard keeping the wind out.

TBH that sounds a lot more desirable that a shitbox in a shithole street in most enriched parts of the uk.

swiss_democracy_for_all
14 hours ago, Green Devil said:

TBH that sounds a lot more desirable that a shitbox in a shithole street in most enriched parts of the uk.

Better off buying land in France IMO and putting a German prefab on it.

On 25/04/2018 at 11:38, swissy_fit said:

Better off buying land in France IMO and putting a German prefab on it.

The only (pre)building sites I looked at in France worked sort of like that - you go to the developer's office and pick a plot from the divided parcel of land and then pick a design from a number of house types/builds that you want on it.  A much higher availability of building land (and empty property for that matter) pushed the pendulum in favour of the buyer and gave them more choice.

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, onlyme said:

The only (pre)building sites I looked at in France worked sort of like that - you go to the developer's office and pick a plot from the divided parcel of land and then pick a design from a number of house types/builds that you want on it.  A much higher availability of building land (and empty property for that matter) pushed the pendulum in favour of the buyer and gave them more choice.

Yes but you don't want a French builder. Well, judging by many houses I've seen in France anyway, I'm sure there are honourable exceptions just as there are in the UK.  So get a plot free of ties and put something German on it.

Hail the Tripod
10 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Yes but you don't want a French builder. Well, judging by many houses I've seen in France anyway, I'm sure there are honourable exceptions just as there are in the UK.  So get a plot free of ties and put something German on it.

My wife regularly fantasises about having a Huf Haus.

Header_HUF_Haus_ART_5__8_.jpg

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My wife regularly fantasises about having a Huf Haus.

Header_HUF_Haus_ART_5__8_.jpg

Yeah that would suit my missus too.

Nice but too showy for me.

3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Yes, certainly nothing to write home about in general design wise either,  block, render, slate roof, done,  Very  regional though, this was Brittany.

swiss_democracy_for_all
12 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I took a trip to Gorleston-on-sea today. Situated just south of Great Yarmouth on the Norfolk coast, I think it's better.

Might have to negotiate a little on some of the smaller houses for sale...

Cheaper houses for sale in Gorleston, Norfolk

Looks ok but good luck for October - March there if you don't like the cold, that North Sea coast is freezing and 3-5C with a breeze off the sea there will feel like -5C in a less humid environment. So as long as you don't expect to wear shorts all the time.... 

Nice in summer I should think.

On 28/04/2018 at 10:09, Green Devil said:

Most expensive build. £3000 psqm

Cripes, I'm trying to get somewhere near to £300 psqm, but that will include a lot of my own uncosted time. 

Frank Hovis
On 28/04/2018 at 10:09, Green Devil said:

Wow.  Nice house but that's off the scale.

For those unaware of current rates anything between £1,500 - £1,800 psm is typical.

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 28/04/2018 at 11:09, Green Devil said:

There are other German prefabs that are a lot less, and you don’t have to choose the “Look at me” style either. 

I must be wired differently to many other people. I want small and cosy. I struggle to imagine myself curled up with a book in the evening in a room with a ceiling 4m above me, or walls of glass on all sides. On one of those £100k house programmes, Kieran and Piers worked on a couple for ages to get them to remove the ceiling and expose the rafters. The couple ended up yielding to the pressure, and went over budget. In the follow-up episode a year later, they'd filled it all back in again.

sleepwello'nights
On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:12, TheCountOfNowhere said:

image.png.4a69393bc8e8e62ad686666282e7021f.png

It could be made to look more attractive if they cad the exterior. 

Frank Hovis
On 06/05/2018 at 16:37, Everentt said:

I must be wired differently to many other people. I want small and cosy. I struggle to imagine myself curled up with a book in the evening in a room with a ceiling 4m above me, or walls of glass on all sides. On one of those £100k house programmes, Kieran and Piers worked on a couple for ages to get them to remove the ceiling and expose the rafters. The couple ended up yielding to the pressure, and went over budget. In the follow-up episode a year later, they'd filled it all back in again.

Small and cosy isn't impressive.  I have small and cosy, I like it, it's ideal, and I bought it in preference to a big house.

But I still see those ones on the Your Ideal House thread and am tempted; Sarahs' East Devon oen with a water mill had me working out commuting distances.

sarahbell
23 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Small and cosy isn't impressive.  I have small and cosy, I like it, it's ideal, and I bought it in preference to a big house.

But I still see those ones on the Your Ideal House thread and am tempted; Sarahs' East Devon oen with a water mill had me working out commuting distances.

Yeah the internet was a bit ropey last time I checked.
There was a place not far from there a few years ago with an artists studio workshop that was near the 'twice a week' bus stop! OK might be slightly more frequent than that but you have to consider these things.

Archived